PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your news?

Offshore
12-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Just wondering where people are getting most of their news. Which magazines or web sites do you receive or visit as your main information source. For me, I get the Economist magazine and visit Drudge Report/Huffington Post to see two different viewpoints with their links. MSNBC usually for basic news updates and ESPN.com for sports news. I also like the BBC website.

What other sources or portals are people using?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Yahoo and cnnsi.

jmsx521
12-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Please, nobody say FoxNews!

origmarm
12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
In order morning to evening:
Financial Times
Bloomberg
Reuters
Thomson
Telekurs
BBC website
CNBC
BBC new on the TV

I like to read the Economist also

power_play21
12-11-2007, 07:46 AM
cnn / hnn / internet in the morning

wherever i can throughout the day (Tv's in places, internet)

E! News at night LOOOL

max
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Chicago Tribune; read it every day.
Business Week, each week.
Radio.

eagle
12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
- cnn.com
- washingtonpost.com
- westhawaiitoday.com
- khnl.com

thanks,
eagle

malakas
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
mostly in.gr and for internation bbc.co.uk

Shahar26
12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Weather report.

PimpMyGame
12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
from bbc.co.uk and The Daily Sport

ShiroRm
12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
repubblica.it
and if I want a different perspective about events of general interest:
nytimes.com
elpais.com
lemonde.fr
independent.co.uk
faz.net

takl23
12-11-2007, 09:49 AM

FOXNEWS
It's the only one I trust for cable news. Drudge, local radio,

Cheers,

Tim

Venetian
12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
1.Foxnews
2.Drudgereport
3.IGN for all my gaming news

Docalex007
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
bbc news website
msnbc website
suddeutsche website

news from 3 different countries.

then for the science:

Daily Tech website
PhysOrg website

Mulligan
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I use a Yahoo personal page that links to a bunch of different sites: Reuters, CNN, Fox, ESPN, the TT Board, Al Jazeera English (pretty interesting seeing things from the middle eastern point of view), NY Times, local newspaper, Christian Science Monitor, , New Zealand Herald, The Australian, NPR, Irish Times, BBC, etc.

ps: for magazines I get The Nation, Weekly Standard (its fun to see the relative "extreme" points of view), UTNE Reader and Newsweek

FEDEX1
12-11-2007, 11:49 AM
FOXNEWS
It's the only one I trust for cable news. Drudge, local radio,

Cheers,

Tim

i watch the local fox news if thats what you guys are talking about

BMG
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I tried to watch Fox News about a month ago and it was terrible...almost comical. Shock, sound bite journalism with a bunch of highly slanted right wing talk nonsense. I'm sick of CNN and MSNBC too. It is hard to find any good journalism or unbiased news reporting on network or cable.

Leelord337
12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
torrentspy and aol news

Kaptain Karl
12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
In order...
Any of three local radio stations.
Washington Times
WorldNet Daily
Washington Post
and MSNBC seems to be in the lobbies of every bank and office building. I couldn't avoid it if I wanted to.

... then any number of the following, in no particular order, and not even daily....
Jerusalem Post
Drudge Report
FOX News
Free Republic
Michelle Malkin
The Weekly Standard

- KK

CanadianChic
12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
The CBC, BBC, CKX and I read the Winnipeg and Brandon Suns. I also occasionally read MSNBC if I'm really bored.

AM28143
12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
NY Times and my political science professor.

LuckyR
12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
...I just make it up as I go along so it fits my preconceived notions and prejudices...

tzinc
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
yahoo online

toronto star newspaper

AM28143
12-11-2007, 03:45 PM
...I just make it up as I go along so it fits my preconceived notions and prejudices...

That's the way to be. Ignore all evidence that runs contrary to your opinion. That way life is less confusing.

Kaptain Karl
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
That ^^^ got a chuckle, Lucky. Good one!

- KK

blubber
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I usually check these sites everyday. They're roughly listed in the order Iview them most.

Drudgereport
Instapundit.com
Andrewsullivan.com
Nyt.com
Washingtonpost.com
Slate.com
Strategypage.com
Defensetech.org
Csmonitor.com
littlegreenfootballs.com
danieldrezner.com
http://pajamasmedia.com/xpress/victordavishanson

10sfreak
12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Sorry, but FOX NEWS it is, baby!:) That, and the 'net...

Rory G
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
In order of frequency of visits:

Huffingtonpost.com
nytimes.com
mediamatters.org
crooksandliars.com
factcheck.org
dailykos.com
truthdig.com
guerrillanews.com
smirkingchimp.com
americablog.com

Mags:

The Nation
New Yorker
Mother Jones
Vanity Fair

TV:

Countdown with Keith Olbermann

VikingSamurai
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I watch Australia Network here in Japan for my Australian news, and I watch both FoxNews, BBC and CNN equally when I get a chance.

For some reason we get some dicky International and British version of CNN here, so I don't like it much anymore.. And NHK local news here in Japan when I feel the need..

Mainly get my internet news from Yahoo7! Australia, and ninemsn Australia, and Brisbane's Couriermail.com.au. I get my weather from the Japan Airlines site or Yahoo Japan.

As for sports again Yahoo7! and ninemsn. Dont get me started on ESPN as it is the lowest form of sports broadcasting known to man..

When I lived in Atlanta, I watched WSBTV2 as well as Foxnews and CNN and listened to 99x in the mornings, aswell as 640GST in the afternoons and drive. And to this day I miss my TiVo.......

TheShaun
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
In order morning to evening:
Financial Times
Bloomberg
Reuters
Thomson
Telekurs
BBC website
CNBC
BBC new on the TV

I like to read the Economist also

i'll second this list! (except for thomson and telekurs, i don't know what they are) safe for me to say that you work in finance? as young noob in the financial world, can i be the bud fox to your gordon gekko? or dare i say, george soros?

ps. i throw in some ny times and globe and mail...

tzinc
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM
FOX is not news it is right wing republican propaganda.

Zets147
12-11-2007, 07:55 PM
My "Latest Headlines" Tab on my internet browser which links to articles from BBC News

jmsx521
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
FOX is not news it is right wing republican propaganda.Oh, thank you! But, are we the only ones awake?

Feņa14
12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
from bbc.co.uk and The Daily Sport

Haha! The Daily Sport? You dark horse ;)

For me it's the BBC news programme, website, and the Daily Mail..

Sometimes The Sun if i'm in the mood for some extravagant stories aha :]
Kaka to Chelsea? Only in The Sun!

SFrazeur
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Oh, thank you! But, are we the only ones awake?

I have not seen one newspaper, one news magazine, or cable news channel that was not biased.

-SF

jmsx521
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I have not seen one newspaper, one news magazine, or cable news channel that was not biased.

-SFActually, if you read Adbusters -- it is not biased! 1/2 of the information in the magazine are posted messages/letters to the magazine from people like you and I. The posted messages are the news -- that we (society) are unhappy. You're also not going to see advertisements in the magazine... so, they don't have to protect the image of advertisers.

But FoxNews is terrible!

TheShaun
12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Actually, if you read Adbusters -- it is not biased! 1/2 of the information in the magazine are posted messages/letters to the magazine from people like you and I. The posted messages are the news -- that we (society) are unhappy. You're also not going to see advertisements in the magazine... so, they don't have to protect the image of advertisers.

But FoxNews is terrible!

did you get the new adbusters calander?

angharad
12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I actually just did a study on bias in the news, and every cable news channel averages about a 25% believability rate - on par with both local news and network news. Sad that people generally only believe a quarter of what comes out of a newscaster's mouth, really, but sadder that overt biases have gotten us to that point.

VikingSamurai
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM

So that would make CNN left wing democrat propaganda ;)

Kaptain Karl
12-11-2007, 08:34 PM
FOX is not news it is right wing republican propaganda.FOX goes after the GOP as much as they do anyone. The difference between them and other cable news services is FOX doesn't have only one or two "personalities" who take the non-Liberal side. (Notice, I didn't write "Conservative"; but just "non-Liberal".)

IOW, your post is ... nuts.

- KK

Sleepstream
12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Google news

This way I can look at several articles regarding a similar topic as different point of views are important.

Also, The Onion.

Slashdot for my tech news.

Noveson
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
ESPN in the morning;)

PimpMyGame
12-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Haha! The Daily Sport? You dark horse ;)

For me it's the BBC news programme, website, and the Daily Mail..

Sometimes The Sun if i'm in the mood for some extravagant stories aha :]
Kaka to Chelsea? Only in The Sun!

Haha. The Daily Sport was a bit of a joke, but I am serious when I say that it doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Unfortunately your choice of Daily Mail falls into that category for me. You can't get to the news for all the cheap jibes made at the Labour government.

Phil
12-12-2007, 02:21 AM
I get my news on a daily basis from Screw Magazine, The Playboy Channel, various Japanese manga sites, boobs.com and Ogrish.com. Oh yeah, almost forgot...and the Wall Street Journal online. I'm a big news consumer.

Craig Carter
12-12-2007, 05:29 AM

Faux News should be labeled an "entertainment" channel because their coverage of world and US events has become laughable. The fact that a survey was done a couple of years ago indicating that a majority of Faux News viewers thought Saddam Hussein was responsible for the 9/11 attacks speaks volumes. The movie "Outfoxed" puts a lot of this in perspective and shows how comically biased this alleged news outlet really is. That said, CNN (with morons like Glen Beck in hand) and MSNBC leave a lot to be desired re: bias as well. While sites like the Drudge Report can also be mouthpieces for the left or right at least Drudge offers up some original material while also linking to many columnists and blogers and other news sites.

VikingSamurai
12-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Faux News should be labeled an "entertainment" channel because their coverage of world and US events has become laughable. The fact that a survey was done a couple of years ago indicating that a majority of Faux News viewers thought Saddam Hussein was responsible for the 9/11 attacks speaks volumes. The movie "Outfoxed" puts a lot of this in perspective and shows how comically biased this alleged news outlet really is. That said, CNN (with morons like Glen Beck in hand) and MSNBC leave a lot to be desired re: bias as well. While sites like the Drudge Report can also be mouthpieces for the left or right at least Drudge offers up some original material while also linking to many columnists and blogers and other news sites.

Its funny.. CNN was started by a left wing loony, but nobody ever says that it is a Lefty channel?.. Why is that?

Feņa14
12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Haha. The Daily Sport was a bit of a joke, but I am serious when I say that it doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Unfortunately your choice of Daily Mail falls into that category for me. You can't get to the news for all the cheap jibes made at the Labour government.

Damn right!

The thing is though, these "cheap jibes" are in fact real news these days. Labour just set themselves up time and time again and the Mail finish it off. Good stuff.

Plus you're guarenteed at least 2 fantastic stories about illegal immigrants/immigrants. I think today the front page was 4 out of 5 of the new jobs created by Labour are going to foreigners... crazy.

angharad
12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Its funny.. CNN was started by a left wing loony, but nobody ever says that it is a Lefty channel?.. Why is that?

Fox News is repeatedly criticized for being a conservative mouthpiece, while both CNN and MSNBC have faced criticisms for swinging too far to both the left and right. Take two of CNN's controversies from technical glitches alone: inadvertently placing an "X" over Dick Cheney's face during a speech, and using the caption "Where's Obama?" over a picture of Osama bin Laden. One was used to accuse CNN of a liberal bias, the other to accuse them of a conservative bias. In short - CNN "splits" the biases while Fox News is only accused of being right-wing.

Objective Danny
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Free Republic

World Net Daily

Drudge Report

Breitbart

origmarm
12-14-2007, 01:14 AM
i'll second this list! (except for thomson and telekurs, i don't know what they are) safe for me to say that you work in finance? as young noob in the financial world, can i be the bud fox to your gordon gekko? or dare i say, george soros?

ps. i throw in some ny times and globe and mail...

Thomson is similar to BBG/Reuters, just not as good, same thing for Telekurs but its just wires and tickers.

Yeah I work as a credit broker in the city, as you can imagine times are good. As long as you haven't got red braces with gold $ signs on them we are good to go, why is it a lot of the new guys still think its 1985 :). Used to swim with the sharks, got burnt and now I just stay in my little corner and broke away quietly. Keeps me sane...

As for the special one and the pimp I love the choices of news material. I agree with Fena though, the mail has the most comedy immigrant stories, the invasion has begun. That said the Sun trumps it for the football coverage. The mirror used to be the one for the crazy stories, pity the demise of Piers. On a more serious note, the sun has about 25% market share of the UK paper market. If you add the red tops together that makes 75%ish :shock:....thats just plain scary really. Less so in these internet days but still....

35ft6
12-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Fox News, Sportscenter, and LCD screens on buses.

Phil
12-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Is Ted Turner a "left wing loony"? I didn't know that. Maybe you have him mixed up with his ex-wife, Jane Fonda???

slice bh compliment
12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
The Simpsons,
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,
BBC World Service early in the mornings sometimes,
NPR in the mornings sometimes,
my wife spouting off about stuff,
the front page of thebrowser
and of course you characters right here at the TW.

So thanks.

Kaptain Karl
12-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Is Ted Turner a "left wing loony"?Jane is clearly so, but I'd say Ted is difficult to categorize. Some of his behavior would suggest "far Left" ... and some would suggest "moderately Right."

- KK

Lakoste
12-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Chicago Tribune
Wall Street Journal
Google News
SportsCenter

VikingSamurai
12-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Is Ted Turner a "left wing loony"? I didn't know that. Maybe you have him mixed up with his ex-wife, Jane Fonda???

Phil. You know I like you..

But this comment is either one of sarcasm, or one of a guy that really isn't as clever as he makes out.. I choose the sarcasm answer, as I think you are a guy with at least half a brain..

If Ted Turner isn't a left wing loon, then I dont know who is in all honesty.. Jane Fonder is an actress, and that is all I will say on that matter..

Phil
12-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Phil. You know I like you..

But this comment is either one of sarcasm, or one of a guy that really isn't as clever as he makes out.. I choose the sarcasm answer, as I think you are a guy with at least half a brain..

If Ted Turner isn't a left wing loon, then I dont know who is in all honesty.. Jane Fonder is an actress, and that is all I will say on that matter..
And I like you, Chris. My comment was sincere, without sarcasm. If I'm an idiot then, as you say, then prove it. I don't see what makes Turner a "left wing looney"...what I know about him in a nutshell is that he is a pioneer and a visionary in the media industry and he pledged $1 billion to the UN to help erradicate world poverty. He's also a big conservationist and is active in enviornmental causes. He's a philantropist...is that "left wing"?

If all that makes one a "left wing looney" then I wouldn't mind if we had a few more like him. Maybe you aren't really familiar with the term "left wing"? People do have a tendency to throw around extreme political labels here...

I have HEARD from people who worked for him and have seen him speak in public that he IS a bit crazed and eccentric. And some of his public statements have been more than a bit impolitic. Maybe that's where the "looney" part comes from (he's as "looney" as a fox is dumb, if you ask me...he knows EXACTLY what he's doing), but left wing? Probably more centrist. He's a businessman and a die-hard capitalist, after all.

VikingSamurai
12-16-2007, 01:20 PM
And I like you, Chris. My comment was sincere, without sarcasm. If I'm an idiot then, as you say, then prove it. I don't see what makes Turner a "left wing looney"...what I know about him in a nutshell is that he is a pioneer and a visionary in the media industry and he pledged $1 billion to the UN to help erradicate world poverty. He's also a big conservationist and is active in enviornmental causes. He's a philantropist...is that "left wing"?

If all that makes one a "left wing looney" then I wouldn't mind if we had a few more like him. Maybe you aren't really familiar with the term "left wing"? People do have a tendency to throw around extreme political labels here...

I have HEARD from people who worked for him and have seen him speak in public that he IS a bit crazed and eccentric. And some of his public statements have been more than a bit impolitic. Maybe that's where the "looney" part comes from (he's as "looney" as a fox is dumb, if you ask me...he knows EXACTLY what he's doing), but left wing? Probably more centrist. He's a businessman and a die-hard capitalist, after all.

And how you could get in a tiff about what I said is beyond me.. I wasn't criticizing, nor was I suggesting anything other than I think you are smarter than the average bear.. So why the agro man?..

I have to say that maybe you have been in Japan a little bit too long.. I see this happen all the time.. Your posting is coming off a little abrasive and whiney of late... More-so than usual...

As for Turner..Ok, Loon is a bit harsh.. And I definately agree that he also is smarter than the average bear as-well!.. But if Fox News is the brand of the right (as has been suggested and I agree with). Then Ted Turner and CNN are at the exact polar opposite....

No one was commenting about his ability in business and humanitarian achievements. But if you are going to suggest that he is of the norm, and that he is mis-understood then I will have to agree to disagree with you in this discussion (not debate) discussion..

As for where he stands.. He stands where it best serves him.. When you have everything, then you are given the freedom to sometimes say what you truelly feel..

Phil
12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
And how you could get in a tiff about what I said is beyond me.. I wasn't criticizing, nor was I suggesting anything other than I think you are smarter than the average bear.. So why the agro man?..

I have to say that maybe you have been in Japan a little bit too long.. I see this happen all the time.. Your posting is coming off a little abrasive and whiney of late... More-so than usual...

As for Turner..Ok, Loon is a bit harsh.. And I definately agree that he also is smarter than the average bear as-well!.. But if Fox News is the brand of the right (as has been suggested and I agree with). Then Ted Turner and CNN are at the exact polar opposite....

No one was commenting about his ability in business and humanitarian achievements. But if you are going to suggest that he is of the norm, and that he is mis-understood then I will have to agree to disagree with you in this discussion (not debate) discussion..

As for where he stands.. He stands where it best serves him.. When you have everything, then you are given the freedom to sometimes say what you truelly feel..

Chris - You've proven to have a thin skin on this Board, so I'm not surprised that you labelled my extremely MILD post a "tiff". Maybe you've never experienced a REAL "tiff". I merely questioned the rationale for your negative feelings toward Ted Turner. You're entitled to despise the man if you wish, but I couldn't see the connect between what you said and the man's actual behavior. Until now.

I will admit, though, that I probably HAVE been in Japan too long.:) But...what does abrasiveness and whinniness have to do with THAT? Do you hang with Black Nikka-swigging, chain-smoking raspy-voiced low-level yakuza types? Otherwise, what are you getting on about?

CNN merged with Time Warner YEARS ago and was later absorbed into the AOL-Time Warner merger a few years later. Turner hasn't been involved in the day-to-day activities of CNN in well over a decade, so he has absolutely nothing to do with the editorial content of CNN today. Even when he did own CNN outright, he was relatively hands-off regarding editorial slant; as a media boss he was no Rupurt Murdoch, meddling directly in news and editorial content and newsroom hirings. Therefore, if your assessment of his politics is based solely on what you consider the "leftist" content of present-day CNN, then you are misinformed. Just consider me someone who is here to help you to make informed judgements.;-)

One last thing: IMO one does not need to "have everything" to say what they truly feel. Honesty and integrity have very little to do with net worth. But I see what you're saying...as long as we work FOR someone, we cannot be totally free to say what we are thinking, in public.

VikingSamurai
12-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Well thats all well and good. But never once did I say that I despised the man. Not even hint at not liking him.. I just said that he was a lefty and that in my opinion (and thats all it is) even though he hasn't had anything to do with it for ten years. Laid the platform for what I believe in all openess to be a left leaning network.. To suggest otherwise would be like saying that Fox isn't a network that leans to the right. And I would say that I am somewhat a conservative on social issues, and agree that Fox is in that direction..

Do I dislike Turner?. No more than say Rupert Murdoch.. Do I agree with a lot of views Turner has. No, but I dont condemn the man for his thinking. I just said that he is a lefty and at times comes across as a loon.. But my rant wasn't exactly about him all together, it was just a reply for people that continue to label Fox as something, and so believe that CNN, CNBC, LA Times, New York Post ect, all have leanings to the left..

So to condemn, which I think alot of people do when they think of Fox News for giving what its viewers want, and then not claim the same for the other media organisations that they themselves watch and read, is just silly biased.. Like I said, I am a conservative, but I get my news from all over.. Although I am Australian, I like US Politics. I like the dirty, nitty gritty of it, and I feel Fox gives me that. But as a thinking adult, I know when spin is spin, and when it is just someone standing up for what they believe.. CNN just seems like light-weight in that department, and I really don't need to see Dr Guptar ten times a day to tell me to drink 8 glasses of water a day..

A.J. Sim
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I usually get mine from the Wall Street Journal, occasionally the New York Times and The Economist. I also read Time and Newsweek.

Phil
12-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Well thats all well and good. But never once did I say that I despised the man. Not even hint at not liking him.. I just said that he was a lefty and that in my opinion (and thats all it is) even though he hasn't had anything to do with it for ten years. Laid the platform for what I believe in all openess to be a left leaning network.. To suggest otherwise would be like saying that Fox isn't a network that leans to the right. And I would say that I am somewhat a conservative on social issues, and agree that Fox is in that direction..

Do I dislike Turner?. No more than say Rupert Murdoch.. Do I agree with a lot of views Turner has. No, but I dont condemn the man for his thinking. I just said that he is a lefty and at times comes across as a loon.. But my rant wasn't exactly about him all together, it was just a reply for people that continue to label Fox as something, and so believe that CNN, CNBC, LA Times, New York Post ect, all have leanings to the left..

So to condemn, which I think alot of people do when they think of Fox News for giving what its viewers want, and then not claim the same for the other media organisations that they themselves watch and read, is just silly biased.. Like I said, I am a conservative, but I get my news from all over.. Although I am Australian, I like US Politics. I like the dirty, nitty gritty of it, and I feel Fox gives me that. But as a thinking adult, I know when spin is spin, and when it is just someone standing up for what they believe.. CNN just seems like light-weight in that department, and I really don't need to see Dr Guptar ten times a day to tell me to drink 8 glasses of water a day..
If you read my post, again, you will see that I said that you are "entitled" to dispise Ted Turner. I did not say that you DO despise him. This is a way of saying, you can believe whatever you want about the man.

CNN IS lightweight and cannot compare to, say, the BBC news. I don't like it at all. FOX is merely a cheerleader for the Iraq war and a mouthpiece for the Bush administration. A travesty of a "news" channel, but it sure is entertaining, and they've done a great job of building a loyal viewership and tapping into the lowest common denominator of society-the less-educated population (that is not to say that EVERYONE who tunes into Faux is part of this demographic...).

Again, it's foolish to link Turner's politics with CNN's editorial policy...he's no more a part of CNN now than, say, Jimmy Carter is in the White House. Murdoch, however, is still very much active and influences the politics of his media properties. And while it's true that some news outlets "have leanings toward the left" (you meant New York TIMES, not the POST, right? The Post is owned by Murdoch:)), Faux doesn't just "lean" toward the right-it's collapsed into the right.

Fair and balanced...O'Reilly, Hannity...yeah, sure, CNN is certainly just as liberal as Faux is conservative...whatever you say.

Breakaz54z
12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I get mine from the msnbc or cnn website/on tv. sometimes bbc or the philadelphia inquirer.

VikingSamurai
12-17-2007, 07:11 PM
If you read my post, again, you will see that I said that you are "entitled" to dispise Ted Turner. I did not say that you DO despise him. This is a way of saying, you can believe whatever you want about the man.

And I don't need words put in my mouth, so move on..

CNN IS lightweight and cannot compare to, say, the BBC news. I don't like it at all. FOX is merely a cheerleader for the Iraq war and a mouthpiece for the Bush administration. A travesty of a "news" channel, but it sure is entertaining, and they've done a great job of building a loyal viewership and tapping into the lowest common denominator of society-the less-educated population (that is not to say that EVERYONE who tunes into Faux is part of this demographic...).

Well, I don't know how many dumb Hillbillies even have cable. So I guess you would be talking about the educated middle class that America is mainly made up of then.. But lets not mix words Phil.. You think Southern people are dumb ;)

Again, it's foolish to link Turner's politics with CNN's editorial policy...he's no more a part of CNN now than, say, Jimmy Carter is in the White House. Murdoch, however, is still very much active and influences the politics of his media properties. And while it's true that some news outlets "have leanings toward the left" (you meant New York TIMES, not the POST, right? The Post is owned by Murdoch:)), Faux doesn't just "lean" toward the right-it's collapsed into the right.

Yes I did mean the Times, and who ever denied that Fox news was on the right.. As for CNN, I guess I kinda get sick of blaming people for the war, and tend to prefer to accept that we are there regardless, and so supporting the troops and the efforts they are making such as building schools and public facilities is more toward my liking.. If thats being a mouth piece, then I guess their Mama's back home get a kick outta seein ther kids on tha TV..

Fair and balanced...O'Reilly, Hannity...yeah, sure, CNN is certainly just as liberal as Faux is conservative...whatever you say.

Well, I guess they don't speak your language. Or you get offended when people look you in the eyes.. They have an opinion like anyone else, and the fact that they call it as I see it sets them up for attacks from the left.. Nothing new there mate!.

AM28143
12-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I get the majority of my news from the Daily Show and Colbert Report. John Stewart and Steven Colbert, in my opinion, are more insightful than any NY Times journalist or even Larry King.

JK. Though I do enjoy The Daily Show and Colbert, the majority of my news comes from the NY Times. From time to time I read the Washington Post, just to understand another perspective, but I'm mostly a Times man. I use to read Newsweek but of late their stories have been rather dull. So, I instead read Time magazine and, in addition, National Geographic.

Alley Cat
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
There is no major news source (CNN, BBC, NPR, MSNBC, etc.) that is remotely to the left as to what Fox News is to the right. The Fox network has become a well known joke and is nothing more than a mouthpiece of the GOP and Bush. It should be a comedy channel.

Until the writer's strike, my go to places were Daily Show and Colbert Report. Also BBC America is good IMO.

VikingSamurai
12-18-2007, 09:52 PM
There is no major news source (CNN, BBC, NPR, MSNBC, etc.) that is remotely to the left as to what Fox News is to the right. The Fox network has become a well known joke and is nothing more than a mouthpiece of the GOP and Bush. It should be a comedy channel.

Until the writer's strike, my go to places were Daily Show and Colbert Report. Also BBC America is good IMO.

So you get your news from Comedy shows?

So without using Google, could you tell me who the Prime Minister of Australia is?

AM28143
12-18-2007, 09:55 PM

So without using Google, could you tell me who the Prime Minister of Australia is?

I know he was just elected, but I can't remember his name.

slice bh compliment
12-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey Chris, I'm a Daily Show viewer and, by chance, I happen to know it used to be John Howard, and now Kevin Rudd. I recall it from a BBC broadcast one morning.

The new PM, isn't he a distant uncle of Paul Rudd, the young actor? OR possibly Christian Ruud, the tennis player from Norway?

Other very important names from Down Under: Geoff Pollard, John Fitzgerald, Craig Tiley, the late great Lew Hoad, John Newcombe and Toiny Roche.

Alley Cat
12-19-2007, 05:05 AM

No, I said that I don't watch Fox News, lol.

Golly gee, isn't John Howard the PM of Aussiland....but he was a pretty staunch supporter of Bush, Iraq and even made some goofy remark about Obama. Didn't he just lose the election to Rudd??

Chris, since you like Fox News....(without using Google, lol) who was behind the attacks of 9/11...Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or OJ Simpson???

Phil
12-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, I don't know how many dumb Hillbillies even have cable. So I guess you would be talking about the educated middle class that America is mainly made up of then.. But lets not mix words Phil.. You think Southern people are dumb ;)
Just about everyone has cable these days. Was the "wink, wink face" supposed to indicate that you're trying to be funny? You aren't.

Well, I guess they don't speak your language. Or you get offended when people look you in the eyes.. They have an opinion like anyone else, and the fact that they call it as I see it sets them up for attacks from the left.. Nothing new there mate!.
I don't like people "looking me in the eye" and outright LYING to me. Bush did that to the world and his mouthpiece sold his war to the public, along with his other failures. They certainly don't call it as they see it. The difference between you and me, "mate", is that you swallow the lies whole. I don't. Here, why don't you get yourself another drink:

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/food/kool_aid.jpg

VikingSamurai
12-19-2007, 01:25 PM
No, I said that I don't watch Fox News, lol.

You don't need to. Knowing world events is important no matter what channel you watch.

Golly gee, isn't John Howard the PM of Aussiland....but he was a pretty staunch supporter of Bush, Iraq and even made some goofy remark about Obama. Didn't he just lose the election to Rudd??

Is Aussiland what they call "Australia" on comedy shows is it?.. Obama is trying to be a leader. Howard was for over 11 1/2 years. Nothing goofy about him.

Howard supported the "US" in Iraq because of the ANZUS treaty our two countries have. He didn't support Bush personally but the American nation. They did however get on very well..

He did just loose an election, and the guy that is now Prime Minister is Mr Kevin Rudd..

Chris, since you like Fox News....(without using Google, lol) who was behind the attacks of 9/11...Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or OJ Simpson???

What does it matter?.. If you believe Rosie O'Donnel (spelling), and I think you do. Then the Government did it didn't they?

Shhheeessshhhh:-?

VikingSamurai
12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Just about everyone has cable these days. Was the "wink, wink face" supposed to indicate that you're trying to be funny? You aren't.

Funny would be a smiley face with big teeth.. I was being smug. But not because of my comment on people having cable, but your thinking everyone does.

I know plenty of people that have cable, and plenty that don't.. In this day and age you would think alot of people have it, but there is still alot that either choose not to or cant afford it.. Its what happens when you work all day pay off a house and car, and raise children. I guess being a highly p@aid superstar english teacher in Japan has made you forget the little people hg?

I don't like people "looking me in the eye" and outright LYING to me. Bush did that to the world and his mouthpiece sold his war to the public, along with his other failures. They certainly don't call it as they see it. The difference between you and me, "mate", is that you swallow the lies whole. I don't. Here, why don't you get yourself another drink:

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/food/kool_aid.jpg

Like I said, many times already. I am pretty well much a conservative. But being a conservative doesn't mean that you loose all rights to intelligence.. I agreed with Bush only in the fact that Sadam had to go.. I didn't agree on a war.. You see, I aint that bad after all..

However. The fact is, we are there right or wrong, and so I now focus my attention on supporting the troops and the jobs they have to do..

As for what you believe, then I guess I prefer to get my information from different sides, and not just hear one side of the story.. The fact that you hate Fox so much means that not only do you not watch it, but you don't get the other side of each story..Your gained knowledge and information is not only lop sided, but biased. And so I could never accept anything you said to being fact because you only believe what you want to hear.. Why do you think I watch both CNN and Fox?

Lastly, I am not your mate, and would never pretend to be.

I also find it funny that you feel that you know me well enough to say that I will swallow lies , yet in all honesty, you wouldn't know what I believe? And that "is" the thruth dopey!

Get myself another drink???.. You do know that this is the internet don't you?.. Maybe some fresh air is needed, and a trip back to the "real" world might help you out a little....

Phil
12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Funny would be a smiley face with big teeth.. I was being smug. But not because of my comment on people having cable, but your thinking everyone does.

I know plenty of people that have cable, and plenty that don't.. In this day and age you would think alot of people have it, but there is still alot that either choose not to or cant afford it.. Its what happens when you work all day pay off a house and car, and raise children. I guess being a highly p@aid superstar english teacher in Japan has made you forget the little people hg?
You don't come off as smug. Just kinda dumb. I'm not sure where you trying to go with the family, house, English teacher, or Japan comments. What does any of that have to do with sources of news/Fox News-i.e. the TOPIC of this thread? Maybe you're just that desperate to "score points"? I don't know why, but in any event, I suggest that you not make this personal, because you have shown yourself to be hyper-sensitive and I'm not so much so. It wouldn't go well for you to go off on that tangent. So even as we bash heads, why don't we at least stay on topic, eh?
Like I said, many times already. I am pretty well much a conservative. But being a conservative doesn't mean that you loose all rights to intelligence..
Of course not. There are brilliant conservative thinkers out there, but the so-called conservatism of Bush and his minions is nothing like the classical conservatism that has an intellectual tradition behind it. Bible thumping and guns and sending young men and women into useless wars and then sitting around and cheerleading, were never the cornerstones of American conservatism. Until now.

However. The fact is, we are there right or wrong, and so I now focus my attention on supporting the troops and the jobs they have to do..
Fine. My attention is focused on how we can get our troops out of a quagmire without catastropic casualties to them and to the civilians living in the area. We have different priorities.
As for what you believe, then I guess I prefer to get my information from different sides, and not just hear one side of the story..
I don't see evidence of that in anything you've written.

The fact that you hate Fox so much means that not only do you not watch it, but you don't get the other side of each story..Your gained knowledge and information is not only lop sided, but biased. And so I could never accept anything you said to being fact because you only believe what you want to hear..
You don't know what I watch or don't watch.
Why do you think I watch both CNN and Fox?
Let me guess: you're illiterate and hence, are totally dependent on the telly? They both suck. I watch them once in a blue moon. I don't have cable, btw. I read stuff.

Lastly, I am not your mate, and would never pretend to be.
Well you called me "mate" in one post...and here I thought we had such a beautiful thing going...

I also find it funny that you feel that you know me well enough to say that I will swallow lies , yet in all honesty, you wouldn't know what I believe? And that "is" the thruth dopey!
I know this from what you've written here...you say this, and yet YOU have construced an entire fantasy CV for me. Crazy, mat...I mean...man!

Get myself another drink???.. You do know that this is the internet don't you?.. Maybe some fresh air is needed, and a trip back to the "real" world might help you out a little....
This is just too witty for me to comprehend. Bravo, mat...I mean, Chris in Japan!

VikingSamurai
12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
You don't come off as smug. Just kinda dumb.

Cheap points eh?

I'm not sure where you trying to go with the family, house, English teacher, or Japan comments. What does any of that have to do with sources of news/Fox News-i.e. the TOPIC of this thread? Maybe you're just that desperate to "score points"?

Um, because the channels we are talking about are on cable, and you seem to think that everyone has cable when they don't?.. How short your memory is Phil.. Remember when "you" went off topic and proclaimed that people who watched Fox were of the lowest denominator?

I don't know why, but in any event, I suggest that you not make this personal, because you have shown yourself to be hyper-sensitive and I'm not so much so. It wouldn't go well for you to go off on that tangent. So even as we bash heads, why don't we at least stay on topic, eh?

So by me telling you to grow a thicker skin, you come back with the exact same claim about me.. Oh my Phil. Are you really that lost for a decent intelligent response?

Of course not. There are brilliant conservative thinkers out there, but the so-called conservatism of Bush and his minions is nothing like the classical conservatism that has an intellectual tradition behind it. Bible thumping and guns and sending young men and women into useless wars and then sitting around and cheerleading, were never the cornerstones of American conservatism. Until now.

I don't thump a Bible Phil.... And I never agreed on a war either.. Not all conservatives are painted with the same brush. Wow, Bush really has gotten to you hasn't he now? ;)

Fine. My attention is focused on how we can get our troops out of a quagmire without catastropic casualties to them and to the civilians living in the area. We have different priorities.

Got any ideas Phil?... Or how about we take the Liberal idea and just turn off all the lights and leave? I am sure the US will have a lot of "new" priorities then..

I don't see evidence of that in anything you've written.

You are a grown man Phil. If we need to help you with your reading at this late stage in life, then I don't know what we can do for you?:)

You don't know what I watch or don't watch.

Well its obvious you don't watch Fox News (Or watch it enough). Tell me Phil, how do you watch Fox News in Japan?

Let me guess: you're illiterate and hence, are totally dependent on the telly?

Yeah, I have my English tutor sitting next to me typing everything I want to say to you in this thread.. Priceless

They both suck. I watch them once in a blue moon. I don't have cable, btw. I read stuff.

Picture books don't count now Phil.. Although my 5 year old might actually side with you on that one! ;)

Well you called me "mate" in one post...and here I thought we had such a beautiful thing going...

Come on now. You say that to all the boys!

I know this from what you've written here...you say this, and yet YOU have construced an entire fantasy CV for me. Crazy, mat...I mean...man!

You know I am not far off though?.. Why else would you be here and not in the US running for President?

This is just too witty for me to comprehend. Bravo, mat...I mean, Chris in Japan!

Well, I must say that I do try Phil. I do try.. And don't worry.. Although I don't agree or respect you. You gotta love a man that will put himself up there and stick to his guns!

You da man Phil!!!

Phil
12-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Cheap points eh?

Um, because the channels we are talking about are on cable, and you seem to think that everyone has cable when they don't?.. How short your memory is Phil.. Remember when "you" went off topic and proclaimed that people who watched Fox were of the lowest denominator?

So by me telling you to grow a thicker skin, you come back with the exact same claim about me.. Oh my Phil. Are you really that lost for a decent intelligent response?

I don't thump a Bible Phil.... And I never agreed on a war either.. Not all conservatives are painted with the same brush. Wow, Bush really has gotten to you hasn't he now? ;)

Got any ideas Phil?... Or how about we take the Liberal idea and just turn off all the lights and leave? I am sure the US will have a lot of "new" priorities then..

You are a grown man Phil. If we need to help you with your reading at this late stage in life, then I don't know what we can do for you?:)

Well its obvious you don't watch Fox News (Or watch it enough). Tell me Phil, how do you watch Fox News in Japan?

Yeah, I have my English tutor sitting next to me typing everything I want to say to you in this thread.. Priceless

Picture books don't count now Phil.. Although my 5 year old might actually side with you on that one! ;)

Come on now. You say that to all the boys!

You know I am not far off though?.. Why else would you be here and not in the US running for President?

Well, I must say that I do try Phil. I do try.. And don't worry.. Although I don't agree or respect you. You gotta love a man that will put himself up there and stick to his guns!

You da man Phil!!!
No, I guess I don't watch Faux news enough, apparently.

I can almost literally see your eyes popping as you typed this...anger issues, mate? Feel like punching me out? But you controlled yourself and resigned yourself to sounding like a 12-year old or, just a not very bright grown-up. Good for you, mate. You did good.

dennis10is
12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Daily intelligence briefings from the CIA, NSA, State Department, Homeland security.

The latest scoop as we head into the finals days of 2007 is that Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons, Saddam Hussein has WMD, some terrorists are planning to blow up the World Trade Center and the White House by hijacking commercial planes and most importantly, the Polar Ice caps are thickening due to Global cooling, and the nuclear subs will soon have difficulties breaching thru the additional frozen ice. The economoy is strong, the dollar is pre-eminent, soon every American will be able to own a house if they wish it.

The other news source is I subscribe to like hundred to Pay or POR?N sites and I can infer global events by the titles: Here are some:

Twin Towers: Double Penetrated
WMD'ed my Bush
Melt my Polar Ice Caps!
Barely Solvent 18
Whale of a Tall Tale 3
Ice Crack 47
Straight to the I's

dennis10is
12-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Other less reliable sources are:

NPR Relaxing to listen to because the poor remains poor, the powerful continues to rule and do everything they can do keep power, idealistic, committed and intelligent people will waste their lives trying to save the weak and the powerless instead of trying to make millions. A pointless journey but makes you feel good.

Wall Street Journal: excellent newspaper, very astute, balanced. Always wondered why the articles are so good and the editorial and readers comments are so stupid. Often thought a loud, if the people who send in comments understand the articles. Biggest disconnect around.

New York Times. I read it to be snooty and build up a large vocabulary of big words that I wouldn't dare use in real life because my buddies would beat me up for acting like a pompous A. Use it only to put down someone who is putting too much air.

Newsday: local News, makes me feel smart. The articles are so simple and like Chinese food, 10 minutes after you've read an article youwill be hungry for more info, usually read at Mc'Donalds when I'm eating my chicken nuggets.

LA Times: Grew in in OC, this newspaper is getting pretty good now. The cultural stuff in fun to read because I like LA culture and LA perspective more than any other Cultural sources.

OC Register: Fun to see how bitter rich white males can become because their nivrana is turning into their version of hell. I grew up in the OC.

Financial Times: I read it with a British Accent, wearing a striped tie with a pink shirt and thinking "Empire". The Brits are living vicariously thru American Policy. At least, those Brits who read the Financial Times.

Business Week/ Economist/ Fortune are good magazines but I can't stand Forbes.

THE ONION!! The best real news there it!!

And no, I do not watch The Daily News. People think that I do but I don't.

Alley Cat
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
What does it matter?.. If you believe Rosie O'Donnel (spelling), and I think you do. Then the Government did it didn't they?

Shhheeessshhhh:-?

Just because I believe that Fox News is a joke doesn't mean that I "believe Rosie O'Donnell"...why would you say that?. Why would I think that the government was responsible for 9/11? You sound like Bill O'Reilly with those kind of generalizations and uniformed statements about people that you do not know, lol. You sound like a bright guy, there was no need to be smug with your post about "do you know the PM of Australia (without googling)" etc.. I was only returning the favor with my second post. Let's move on and agree to disagree bud.

CanadianChic
12-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Daily intelligence briefings from the CIA, NSA, State Department, Homeland security.

The latest scoop as we head into the finals days of 2007 is that Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons, Saddam Hussein has WMD, some terrorists are planning to blow up the World Trade Center and the White House by hijacking commercial planes and most importantly, the Polar Ice caps are thickening due to Global cooling, and the nuclear subs will soon have difficulties breaching thru the additional frozen ice. The economoy is strong, the dollar is pre-eminent, soon every American will be able to own a house if they wish it.

The other news source is I subscribe to like hundred to Pay or POR?N sites and I can infer global events by the titles: Here are some:

Twin Towers: Double Penetrated
WMD'ed my Bush
Melt my Polar Ice Caps!
Barely Solvent 18
Whale of a Tall Tale 3
Ice Crack 47
Straight to the I's

Haha!! Excellent post Dennis. Thanks for the laugh. :)

VikingSamurai
12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
No, I guess I don't watch Faux news enough, apparently.

I can almost literally see your eyes popping as you typed this...anger issues, mate? Feel like punching me out? But you controlled yourself and resigned yourself to sounding like a 12-year old or, just a not very bright grown-up. Good for you, mate. You did good.

Punch you out? Oh my.....:rolleyes:

VikingSamurai
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Just because I believe that Fox News is a joke doesn't mean that I "believe Rosie O'Donnell"...why would you say that?. Why would I think that the government was responsible for 9/11? You sound like Bill O'Reilly with those kind of generalizations and uniformed statements about people that you do not know, lol. You sound like a bright guy, there was no need to be smug with your post about "do you know the PM of Australia (without googling)" etc.. I was only returning the favor with my second post. Let's move on and agree to disagree bud.

I honestly thought that by asking that question you were asking if I believed in the legitimacy of 9/11, and so took it as that.. If this was not the case of your point, then I appologise if you thought I misunderstood your point.. In saying that however, your reply was a little smarmy in itself so I was curious as to the meaning of the final question you asked..

Cheers..

Alley Cat
12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I honestly thought that by asking that question you were asking if I believed in the legitimacy of 9/11, and so took it as that.. If this was not the case of your point, then I appologise if you thought I misunderstood your point.. In saying that however, your reply was a little smarmy in itself so I was curious as to the meaning of the final question you asked..

Cheers..

Points well taken (I can be pretty smarmy I guess - and apologies from my end). I don't like Fox, but I don't really care for CNN or MSNBC either; they all seem to have their own agendas lately. Daily Show/Colbert I watch more because they can be pretty funny. BBC is pretty good but it's hard to find good journalism and/or unbiased news anymore. Cheers back at you.......

VikingSamurai
12-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Points well taken (I can be pretty smarmy I guess - and apologies from my end). I don't like Fox, but I don't really care for CNN or MSNBC either; they all seem to have their own agendas lately. Daily Show/Colbert I watch more because they can be pretty funny. BBC is pretty good but it's hard to find good journalism and/or unbiased news anymore. Cheers back at you.......

I do watch most of them, and just stick with Australian Network here in Japan because of the Australian content.. I simply flick through CNN and Fox now days.. And I sometimes watch the local Japanese news aswell..

edmondsm
12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Cable news is a joke. If you ask me, the whole genre caters to the lowest common denominator.

tennisfan_23
12-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Hahaha. I hope not. "Up next on Fox News... When Fish Attack!"

Anyway, as a Canadian, I usually tune in to CBC... Sometimes I'll watch CNN, and I definitely read the local papers (Toronto Star/Globe and Mail)...

VikingSamurai
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Hahaha. I hope not. "Up next on Fox News... When Fish Attack!"

Anyway, as a Canadian, I usually tune in to CBC... Sometimes I'll watch CNN, and I definitely read the local papers (Toronto Star/Globe and Mail)...

CBC.. When Moose Attack!!!:)

Polaris
12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
National Public Radio
New York Times
BBC
Washington Post
Google News

I don't watch TV. But when I used to, I remember Geraldo Rivera drawing a map of his location in the sand in Iraq, thereby giving away vital information about the whereabouts of the soldiers he was with. Fox News is full of tools of that sort, and I sometimes used to switch to it for entertainment.