PDA

View Full Version : Video of me - light hit

CAM178
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ETsMJKUbc

Only 1 min long, and not a great vid. I'll try to get a better vid soon. My body positioning stinks because I was just fooling around.

shintan17
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I have no comment on your play since you are a great player, but you legs look so thin in the video!! You used to be a runner or something? It certainly looks that way. Seems like those legs would never get tired!!

CAM178
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I have no comment on your play since you are a great player, but you legs look so thin in the video!! You used to be a runner or something? It certainly looks that way. Seems like those legs would never get tired!!

LMAO!! Ha ha. :) Yeah, man, I have had more cracks about my bird legs over time. My upper body was also big back then due to a lot of lifting. There is a forehand pic from this rally where my bicep is huge, and I kind of laughed at it.

But yeah, I always make fun of my legs. I've never done any leg lifting because I will always have bird legs. It's what's helped me stay fast out there! :)

hyogen
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
i will check it out when i get home. so what level player are you cam? :o

CAM178
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
i will check it out when i get home. so what level player are you cam? :o

5.0ish. This video is just me screwing around with my dubs partner. We just lost in 3 in a final, but I still wanted to hit after. I'm going to try and record a vid today, if the rain holds off.

drakulie
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Nice smooth strokes cam. Thanks for sharing.

CAM178
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Nice smooth strokes cam. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, but I know you're being kind. :) We both know I look like crap in this vid. I want to post a halfway serious vid at some point, so that I, too, can see my strokes in action. This vid looks like I'm lounging on a couch!

shintan17
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks, but I know you're being kind. :) We both know I look like crap in this vid. I want to post a halfway serious vid at some point, so that I, too, can see my strokes in action. This vid looks like I'm lounging on a couch!

Hey, you don't need to make others feel bad. Your "crap" strokes look a lot better than many people's in this board!! :twisted:

CAM178
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey, you don't need to make others feel bad. Your "crap" strokes look a lot better than many people's in this board!! :twisted:

Sorry, man. Good point, and thanks for letting me know that. :) I surely did not mean to offend anybody. It's just that I know I can play better.

I have never seen myself play or even hit seriously. I know I can hit a decent ball, but I thought this video was going to be better when my friend told me that she had a good video of me hitting. Hopefully soon!

drakulie
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Vids don't tend to bring out the true nature of what is happening out there.

Your strokes are very smooth, and you have excellent racquet head speed thru the contact zone. I'm quite certain those shots are moving thru the court. One could tell you are a serious baller.

CAM178
12-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Your strokes are very smooth, and you have excellent racquet head speed thru the contact zone. I'm quite certain those shots are moving thru the court. One could tell you are a serious baller.

Thanks, man. :)

CAM178
12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
What types of things do all of you want to see in a tennis video?

Hot Sauce
12-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Man.. how tall are you?

CAM178
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM
6'2" (10 char)

CAM178
12-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I wish I could remember who wanted to see me hit. I know I've had some cracks about me being a 3.5 (:)), so I wanted to post this. Again, it's only 1 min, and it's just me screwing around.

ramesh
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Smooth operator, man.
One can see you are playing easy -- but really smooth. Your serious play must be a treat to watch.

CAM178
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Thank you! :)

Zets147
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Cool vid. Thanks for posting it.

One can tell the speed of the ball moving by how fast the ball reach the other person on the other side of the net. This video showed us hit after hit with minimal waiting time in between.

We got a "Baller"

With more vids, I can create dream matchups of TWers Muahahahaha

boojay
12-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I wish I could remember who wanted to see me hit. I know I've had some cracks about me being a 3.5 (:)), so I wanted to post this. Again, it's only 1 min, and it's just me screwing around.

Then whoever said that must've been on crack. Your strokes are easily minimum 5.0 material. There are elements of your stroke that are very similar to the head pro, former davis cup player, & top junior player at our club.

Nice vid!

AlpineCadet
12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ETsMJKUbc

Only 1 min long, and not a great vid. I'll try to get a better vid soon. My body positioning stinks because I was just fooling around.

You look solid out there, how long have you been playing? What would you rate yourself as? :)

hyogen
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
wow, very nice smooth strokes.

what racquet is that? the ncode 6.1? 90sq in?

or is it like the nTour or nTour Two?

I hit with the Ntour a little today and liked it especially for serves (.25" longer) :o

I wish we could see more of your backhands

CAM178
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Cool vid. Thanks for posting it.
One can tell the speed of the ball moving by how fast the ball reach the other person on the other side of the net. This video showed us hit after hit with minimal waiting time in between.
We got a "Baller"
With more vids, I can create dream matchups of TWers Muahahahaha

Thanks. Yeah, I wouldn't mind meeting up with some TWers.

Then whoever said that must've been on crack. Your strokes are easily minimum 5.0 material. There are elements of your stroke that are very similar to the head pro, former davis cup player, & top junior player at our club.
Nice vid!

Thanks. :) The guys that said that based their comments on a thread I started a while back. They thought it disrespectful what I said I did in the thread (in short: a 3.5 player asked me to hit my normal 1st serve at him, and I knocked the racquet out of his hands, as I gave him a high 120's body serve and he put up the racquet to protect his chest.) But these TW posters were pretty uncool about it.

You look solid out there, how long have you been playing? What would you rate yourself as? :)

Thanks. I've been playing for around 25 years total, but actual playing time is probably only 18ish, as I took a lot of time off along the way. If I were going by the true NTRP, I would say 5.0-5.5. But with how much the NTRP is abused in the league system, I would probably call myself a 3.5! :)

CAM178
12-11-2007, 10:48 PM
wow, very nice smooth strokes.
what racquet is that? the ncode 6.1? 90sq in?
or is it like the nTour or nTour Two?
I hit with the Ntour a little today and liked it especially for serves (.25" longer) :o
I wish we could see more of your backhands

The stick is the nSix-One 95 16x18.

LOL. . . .you thought the same thing I did as far as BH's. :) I wanted to see more, too! That's the first time I've seen my BH on screen, so it was pretty trippy for me. Based on the Andy Murray video that's on YouTube now, I plan on uploading a video that is the same thing: the 1 FH, 2 BH drill. I'll either do that, or I'll just do FH and BH drills.

boojay
12-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I look forward to seeing it. You look like a lot of fun to hit with!

CAM178
12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Anybody have any requests of what they'd like to see in a video? I know for sure I'm going to do a few things: 1. try harder and actually move and run, 2. serves, and 3. lots of backhands.

What else? Points?

CAM178
12-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I look forward to seeing it. You look like a lot of fun to hit with!

Thanks, man. Yeah, having fun is paramount to me. And it's not about me any longer. I really want to give my hitting partner the benefit of the session. If it's done well from both ends of the court, both guys leave the court smiling.

boojay
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks, man. Yeah, having fun is paramount to me. And it's not about me any longer. I really want to give my hitting partner the benefit of the session. If it's done well from both ends of the court, both guys leave the court smiling.

Absolutely! I know that feeling, but most of my hitting partners are only interested in whacking the ball as hard as they can. I'm actually ok with it if they can do it every single time and keep the ball in play while hitting it within my reach. My motto is, if you wanna hit winners, let's play a match because by definition, rallying should be a continuous flow of steady hits. You try to keep a rally going, not ending it by blasting an unnecessary winner out of nowhere. I really enjoy the place I go to when I'm hitting with someone who has control and can produce the exact same shot over and over and over again. It's no longer tennis, but more a form of meditation.

CAM178
12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Absolutely! I know that feeling, but most of my hitting partners are only interested in whacking the ball as hard as they can. I'm actually ok with it if they can do it every single time and keep the ball in play while hitting it within my reach. My motto is, if you wanna hit winners, let's play a match because by definition, rallying should be a continuous flow of steady hits. You try to keep a rally going, not ending it by blasting an unnecessary winner out of nowhere. I really enjoy the place I go to when I'm hitting with someone who has control and can produce the exact same shot over and over and over again. It's no longer tennis, but more a form of meditation.

Your last line is an excellent summation, man. That is just how I see it. That is the same ideology I had for motorcycle rides on Friday afternoons, or after tough days of work.

As to tennis, I am really big on etiquette, and especially when it comes to hitting. It's pretty aggravating when we hit 2-3 balls, and then it goes by for a winner or out. If he expects me to be out there, then he better give me a workout, too. It's not fair when I keep hitting it back to them, and right in their strike zone every time. A lot of people can't figure that out. The other thing that tends to irk me in practice is when people run me side to side and then hit a winner. If that happens more than once, then it's time for the old college tennis freshman initiation: drop shot, lob. :twisted:

AlpineCadet
12-11-2007, 11:56 PM

You are now playing Nirvana tennis? ;)

hyogen
12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Your last line is an excellent summation, man. That is just how I see it. That is the same ideology I had for motorcycle rides on Friday afternoons, or after tough days of work.

As to tennis, I am really big on etiquette, and especially when it comes to hitting. It's pretty aggravating when we hit 2-3 balls, and then it goes by for a winner or out. If he expects me to be out there, then he better give me a workout, too. It's not fair when I keep hitting it back to them, and right in their strike zone every time. A lot of people can't figure that out. The other thing that tends to irk me in practice is when people run me side to side and then hit a winner. If that happens more than once, then it's time for the old college tennis freshman initiation: drop shot, lob. :twisted:

haha, that's brilliant :)

I wish I could hit with someone as good as you...and with good tennis rallying etiquette.

boojay
12-12-2007, 12:26 AM

YES! You know exactly what I'm talking about! I can't tell you how many times I've been a victim of what you've written in bold. OMFG!!! I usually try to shift my mindset and convince myself it's part of my training, but I can only take so much. Eventually, I'll be like, "screw it, let's play a match" then proceed to slaughter (or attempt to slaughter).

I'm out there to improve and the best way to do that is to hit a LOT of balls. I figured that would be common sense and that tennis etiquette would be a given, but not so. The vast majority of people I hit with fall into the same pattern. It's unfortunate, but I can't be to picky because hitting partners are scarce where I'm from. Good hitting partners even moreso. I wish we could hit.........how bout some online tennis? :D

You are now playing Nirvana tennis? ;)

Hell yes!!! Schwing!

CAM178
12-12-2007, 08:03 AM
haha, that's brilliant :)

I wish I could hit with someone as good as you...and with good tennis rallying etiquette.

Thanks, but it's not that I'm good. Rather, I just want both of us to get the most out of the workout. To me, a good hitting session should almost be trance-like. There is a rhthym and cadence to it that kind of lulls you into 'the zone'. You can bang away for a good couple of hours, and not even realize how hard you're working.

WBF
12-12-2007, 08:07 AM
You look lazy!

But hit a good ball.

I want to see some match action where you are forced to move your feet and are challenged a bit more :p

CAM178
12-12-2007, 08:22 AM
You look lazy!

But hit a good ball.

I want to see some match action where you are forced to move your feet and are challenged a bit more :p

LOL. . .yeah, this was just me horsing around with a friend of mine. We had just played a tough 2 1/2 hr dubs match, and this was me hitting afterwards.

My next vid will show me actually moving.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 08:25 AM
The vast majority of people I hit with fall into the same pattern. It's unfortunate, but I can't be to picky because hitting partners are scarce where I'm from. Good hitting partners even moreso. I wish we could hit.........how bout some online tennis? :D

Boy, don't I know about this. It really sucks when you get out there with someone who can actually hit a decent ball, but they have never learned the proper way to hit with somebody. Me, I'll hit with anybody. Heck, one of my regular htting partners is only a 4.0, but he knows the right way to hit with somebody. But yeah, we can't be too picky these days! :)

rec2000
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Bird legs or not, you keep your knees bent and you have a great split step. Good job.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Bird legs or not, you keep your knees bent and you have a great split step. Good job.

LOL at the bird legs comments. Man, they must be worse than I thought! Maybe I should start wearing warm-ups out there. :)

javier sergio
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Drak, this guy really is a good player......he should be demoing racquets for TW. At least this is the kind of player I expect to test a racquet.

boojay
12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks, but it's not that I'm good. Rather, I just want both of us to get the most out of the workout. To me, a good hitting session should almost be trance-like. There is a rhthym and cadence to it that kind of lulls you into 'the zone'. You can bang away for a good couple of hours, and not even realize how hard you're working.

Once again, we're on the exact same page. It's eerie. Almost word-for-word what I had said in another thread about one of my steady hitting partners who practices with the no. 2 player in our province.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Drak, this guy really is a good player......he should be demoing racquets for TW. At least this is the kind of player I expect to test a racquet.

Thanks, man! :) I actually asked TW that, but I never heard a response. I would love to do that. Hell, I was doing this for myself a couple of years ago. I think demo'd (at least it felt like it!) about 50 racquets in my quest for the Holy Grail of racquets.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks, man! :) I actually asked TW that, but I never heard a response. I would love to do that. Hell, I was doing this for myself a couple of years ago. I think demo'd (at least it felt like it!) about 50 racquets in my quest for the Holy Grail of racquets.

Yes, I just got done with about 30 racquets or more. As you saw on my vid, I settled for now with the prestige classic tour and/or FXP prestige team...

I am very interested in how you liked the ntour Two or the ncode ntour (which I think are at least a little similar to the n6.1 95) except with the .25" longer length, 16x20 and quite a bit more flexible.

Do you not have any elbow problems at all? I know many say that technique will allow one to use a pretty stiff frame, but...the n6.1 95 I think would be too stiff for me :x

CAM178
12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Yes, I just got done with about 30 racquets or more. As you saw on my vid, I settled for now with the prestige classic tour and/or FXP prestige team...
I am very interested in how you liked the ntour Two or the ncode ntour (which I think are at least a little similar to the n6.1 95) except with the .25" longer length, 16x20 and quite a bit more flexible.
Do you not have any elbow problems at all? I know many say that technique will allow one to use a pretty stiff frame, but...the n6.1 95 I think would be too stiff for me :x

For someone who has not been around the game for too long, I'm surprised at how astute you are as to frames and players. Very impressive.

I've always played with heavier, stiff, head-light racquets. My favorite racquets to date have been the nSix-One (current), Classic 6.1, and PS 85. I've played Wilson exclusively, but I might very well be making a switch to another brand next year if I don't like the K when I try it next year.

I never played with the nTour Two, but I did try the nTour One. It was far too flexible for me. It probably didn't help that it was strung low as well, but it was just not the racquet for me.

I have not had elbow problems for some time. That happens when I have the wrong racquet and I play with an extreme Western FH. I think it is technique, but a big part of it is the frame. The last time it happened, I was playing with the nPro, and it killed my elbow. Far too light for me. I need a fairly heavy stick. I have played with light sticks (played with the Surge for a couple of years), but I prefer a heavier stick.

javier sergio
12-12-2007, 09:44 AM

I've been searching for my Holy Grail for the past three years, the search it's over (that's what I think today, I'm not sure about tomorrow:oops:)
Fischer M-Speed # 1 UL - strung with Ashaway Crossfire @ 54
Second on my list; Yonex RDX 500 MP

hyogen
12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
For someone who has not been around the game for too long, I'm surprised at how astute you are as to frames and players. Very impressive.

I've always played with heavier, stiff, head-light racquets. My favorite racquets to date have been the nSix-One (current), Classic 6.1, and PS 85. I've played Wilson exclusively, but I might very well be making a switch to another brand next year if I don't like the K when I try it next year.

I never played with the nTour Two, but I did try the nTour One. It was far too flexible for me. It probably didn't help that it was strung low as well, but it was just not the racquet for me.

I have not had elbow problems for some time. That happens when I have the wrong racquet and I play with an extreme Western FH. I think it is technique, but a big part of it is the frame. The last time it happened, I was playing with the nPro, and it killed my elbow. Far too light for me. I need a fairly heavy stick. I have played with light sticks (played with the Surge for a couple of years), but I prefer a heavier stick.

I've actually played on and off from the age of like 12. LOL. Sad that I'm not a 5.0+ player right now :( But I would say a big part of what held me back in my earlier years in high school especially was my racquet...I was using too much of a tweener racquet with cheap strings. I knew something was wrong, because I obsessed over tennis but just could not improve significantly.

Now that I am out of college for 3 years I am once again very passionate about tennis and seriously am better than I have ever been. It's quite exciting :D I definitely obsess over racquet specs and different feels. My goal is to become at least 5.5...lol

CAM178
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I obsessed over tennis but just could not improve significantly. My goal is to become at least 5.5...lol

The hands-down best way to get better at tennis: play with better players as often as you can. And by play, I mean play sets/matches. It will make you match tough, and you will know that you had better bring your A-game when you play these guys. Then when you play/hit with lesser players, it will be very easy.

There is no reason why you can't become a 5.5, if you truly put in the time, and try your hardest each and every time you are out there. Good luck, man! :)

CAM178
12-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Second on my list; Yonex RDX 500 MP

Too funny: I'm thinking of switching to the 90 or MP of this stick.

javier sergio
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Too funny: I'm thinking of switching to the 90 or MP of this stick.

very hard to find one of these.........unfortunately Yonex discontinued this model and in my opinion they could not replace this great stick with any of the new models.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
very hard to find one of these.........unfortunately Yonex discontinued this model and in my opinion they could not replace this great stick with any of the new models.

My bad. I meant the 001 is the one I'm thinking of going to. Read a lot of great reviews on it, so I want to see if the hype is deserved. I swung it and it felt great, but that won't mean anything until I get to hit with it.

power_play21
12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
My bad. I meant the 001 is the one I'm thinking of going to. Read a lot of great reviews on it, so I want to see if the hype is deserved. I swung it and it felt great, but that won't mean anything until I get to hit with it.

i would go for the 90 version if you dont mind the extra heft and smaller head size during pressure situations.

its one of the most consistent racquets i've used, very dependable.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
i would go for the 90 version if you dont mind the extra heft and smaller head size during pressure situations.

its one of the most consistent racquets i've used, very dependable.

It's funny: I grew up playing 85 and 90 in juniors, then switched to 95 with the Classic 6.1, then went to 100, then back to 95. For some reason I forgot how much I enjoyed the feel of the 85 and 90. So it's either going to be the 001 90 or the K90. Will be interesting to see, and I bet it feels like magic in my hands. . . just like it used to.

AmericanTemplar
12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
CAM- nice strokes! I'd also like to see some more backhands--particularly topspin or flat backhands.

I've been playing with the Yonex RDS 001 mid for the past 6-8 months and I couldn't be happier. I also come from a Wilson background and I was playing with the N 6.1 95 16x18 before and I couldn't be happier with the switch. Give it a try for sure!

Eric89
12-12-2007, 01:57 PM
you look pretty sweet

CAM178
12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
CAM- nice strokes! I'd also like to see some more backhands--particularly topspin or flat backhands.

I've been playing with the Yonex RDS 001 mid for the past 6-8 months and I couldn't be happier. I also come from a Wilson background and I was playing with the N 6.1 95 16x18 before and I couldn't be happier with the switch. Give it a try for sure!

Man, I have got to get my hands on this racquet and give it a whirl. From everything I've read, it's going to come down to one of these two racquets. Possibly the K95, as well.

Yeah, I'm going to post up a good video including backhands (top, slice, high, and flat rallies) as soon as I can. With it being so cold, and there not being any indoor facilities around here, it might be a while.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
you look pretty sweet

LOL. . . . :) . . . I hope you're talking about my game. :(

hyogen
12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
man, I don't think I could hit forehands like that if i tried. because the racquets I use need to be very flexible, I don't think I can get that kind of pop which you seem to be getting with your pretty compact swings.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM
man, I don't think I could hit forehands like that if i tried. because the racquets I use need to be very flexible, I don't think I can get that kind of pop which you seem to be getting with your pretty compact swings.

Sure you can! It just takes practice. Keep in mind this video was pre-wrist injury, so my FH stroke has changed since then. To prevent wrist injury now, I have to let my wrist warm up on the FH side by using a continental grip for the 1st 5 minutes or so. Then I gradually change back to the Western grip.

But you can get pop from any racquet, man. Just give it a shot (no pun intended)! :)

boojay
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
But you can get pop from any racquet, man. Just give it a shot (no pun intended)! :)

YOU LIE!!

That had pun intended written all over it and you know it!

j/k :D

hyogen
12-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Sure you can! It just takes practice. Keep in mind this video was pre-wrist injury, so my FH stroke has changed since then. To prevent wrist injury now, I have to let my wrist warm up on the FH side by using a continental grip for the 1st 5 minutes or so. Then I gradually change back to the Western grip.

i for sure have a wrist injury. nagging injury for the past month and half now I think. maybe i need to give it a long rest..i really don't want to stop playing though! I'm wearing that nike wrist support strap while i play now

CAM178
12-13-2007, 05:46 AM
i for sure have a wrist injury. nagging injury for the past month and half now I think. maybe i need to give it a long rest..i really don't want to stop playing though! I'm wearing that nike wrist support strap while i play now

YOU LIE!!

That had pun intended written all over it and you know it!

j/k :D

Guilty as charged as to the intended pun. :)

As for the wrist, it killed me, but I had to take months off from tennis. Mine was so bad that I could not scrub dirty pots and pans. Washing around the side of the pan caused me to drop the pan. No wrist support helped. It was just old fashioned time off, and diligent rehab. I will say that my wrist feels great now, though. Best of luck, bro! :)

hyogen
12-13-2007, 08:45 AM
you still have to hit your forehands a different way though? due to the injury? :-/

CAM178
12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah. As you can see in this video, it was pretty wristy, but with a big wrist snap right before contact. It was getting bad when this video was made (last fall), but was made exponentially worse due to a skiing accident where I fell on my wrist (I was screwing around, so I deserved it).

Now I have to warm up with a continental grip for the first 5 minutes, to allow the wrist's tendons and ligaments to properly warm up. Once warmed up, I can use the wrist as needed. I still have had to change my grip, though. It's funny: whereas I used to think I had a big forehand, it is now much bigger after the grip change. Watching this video is like watching someone else hit a FH, as it is nothing like my FH now. I never realized how much a grip change could effect the overall stroke, as it forced me to adjust my timing, stance, and footwork.

ChipNCharge
12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
My body positioning stinks because I was just fooling around.

There it is! I knew a I'm-actually-better-than-this disclaimer was coming. They always do!

CAM178
12-13-2007, 11:46 AM
There it is! I knew a I'm-actually-better-than-this disclaimer was coming. They always do!

I'm guessing this is sarcastic, yes? If so, why? :confused:

35ft6
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM
^ He wasn't being sarcastic. It's true. 95% of videos come with disclaimer about how the person is actually better than footage might lead on. Or "I've only been playing for 3 months."

CAM178
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
^ He wasn't being sarcastic. It's true. 95% of videos come with disclaimer about how the person is actually better than footage might lead on.

Okay. But I think anybody can watch that video and realize that I'm not trying my hardest. :)

hyogen
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
^ He wasn't being sarcastic. It's true. 95% of videos come with disclaimer about how the person is actually better than footage might lead on. Or "I've only been playing for 3 months."

true that. I actually try to only show my best shots so it shows my potential -_-

CAM178
12-13-2007, 12:32 PM
true that. I actually try to only show my best shots so it shows my potential -_-

I only posted it because of some of the comments about me being a 3.5 player. I can understand internet expansion, so this video was just for proof.

35ft6
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Okay. But I think anybody can watch that video and realize that I'm not trying my hardest. :) But people can tell how good you are, at least some of us can, even if you're just warming up. Even though you weren't obnoxious about it, you're just paying for all the times we've seen the excuses in the past. It's like you almost hope this is the person who won't have a disclaimer and then when you see it it's like... of course. Some people are much worse with their excuses -- only been playing for 1 year... haven't touched a racket in months... weak because I just beat cancer... etc.

CAM178
12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
But people can tell how good you are, at least some of us can, even if you're just warming up. Even though you weren't obnoxious about it, you're just paying for all the times we've seen the excuses in the past. It's like you almost hope this is the person who won't have a disclaimer and then when you see it it's like... of course. Some people are much worse with their excuses -- only been playing for 1 year... haven't touched a racket in months... weak because I just beat cancer... etc.

Yeah, I understand. Come to think of it, most every video I've opened on here is like that. Ha ha. :) Are you saying that I am worthy of making an excuse, or should I just stick my head back in the sand?! :)

35ft6
12-13-2007, 04:24 PM
^ Don't even know where you posted it, but I'm under the impression you were just really matter of fact about it. Some of the people here go a little nuts, especially defending themselves after they say "I've only been playing for 8 months." It's funny. :)

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 04:26 PM
^ Don't even know where you posted it, but I'm under the impression you were just really matter of fact about it. Some of the people here go a little nuts, especially defending themselves after they say "I've only been playing for 8 months." It's funny. :)

I know something you do not know.

I am not left handed.

J

35ft6
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
^ Are you alluding to one of ONeHand's old links?

ChipNCharge
12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I understand. Come to think of it, most every video I've opened on here is like that. Ha ha. :) Are you saying that I am worthy of making an excuse, or should I just stick my head back in the sand?! :)

You're a good sport.

Your "just fooling around" footwork is still a heck of a lot better than my "totally serious" footwork! :)

WBF
12-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I think of them more as... context. Sometimes it can be useful.

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
^ Are you alluding to one of ONeHand's old links?

No, reference was to "The Princess Bride".

I was figuring sooner or later someone would post a vid and upon being told he sucked, claim to have been playing with his non dominant hand ala the movie.

J

35ft6
12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
No, reference was to "The Princess Bride".

I was figuring sooner or later someone would post a vid and upon being told he sucked, claim to have been playing with his non dominant hand ala the movie.

JYeah, Onehand did that already. haha. It was a few months ago.

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, Onehand did that already. haha. It was a few months ago.

Oh, missed it. Seems like every great idea I have someone else invented already. First sliced bread, and now this! Where will it stop?

J

tbini87
12-13-2007, 08:00 PM

im not posting any videos around here cuz i have only been playing for a year! haha. but i would guess that no one believe me. i was actually lucky enough to make my college team this year! pretty exciting. never thought i would get a chance to play college sports after some injuries in high school.

but i do agree with you guys that it seems like every video posted around here has some disclaimers and/or excuses printed in bold letters right above the link...

35ft6
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh, missed it. Seems like every great idea I have someone else invented already. First sliced bread, and now this! Where will it stop?

J You should go around video-taping drunk girls flashing their boobs. I bet there's a market for that. Run with that idea.

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
To be honest and fair to posters with excuses, how many times do you walk off the court after a session and say to yourself, "WOW, I really played well today." Myself I know, it is about 3 or 4 times a year. The other 300+ days something is going wrong I am not happy with something, or something doesn't feel right. Same with injury, the last time I got out of bed and nothing hurt I was probably 13 years old. If you are an athelete, you know about hurt.

I don't know that we are collectively making excuses to get a pass on poor performance, or simply believe deep down that we can do better than we did on any given day. That never ending desire to constantly improve. The fact that you absolutely are not willing to admit that this is as good as you can play.

I tell friends all the time. "I would be ok, if this is how I always played, if I knew that this was as good as I could ever be, but for about two random weeks per year I am a god on the court, and can do no wrong, and that just ****es me off knowing that I can play that well when I am relagated to mediocrity for the other 50 weeks per year."

J

35ft6
im not posting any videos around here cuz i have only been playing for a year! haha. but i would guess that no one believe me. i was actually lucky enough to make my college team this year! pretty exciting. never thought i would get a chance to play college sports after some injuries in high school. Is your college team completely awful? In theory, this is possible. I've seen college teams where the number 1 was 4.5 at best, and the rest of the squad were squash players who could barely serve.

J011yroger
You should go around video-taping drunk girls flashing their boobs. I bet there's a market for that. Run with that idea.

GENIUS!

J

tbini87
12-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Is your college team completely awful? In theory, this is possible. I've seen college teams where the number 1 was 4.5 at best, and the rest of the squad were squash players who could barely serve.

yeah, i have come to the conclusion that they are awful. i will not give myself anywhere near enough credit for playing 2 kids who played for the team last year, and one who is planning on trying out for the team, and not losing to any of them. so i don't really know what "good" jc players play like, but i have seen a few high schoolers around the area that are better than these guys and myself. i will be able to tell you by the end of the season how bad the team is, and how good or bad i am.

35ft6
12-13-2007, 08:16 PM
To be honest and fair to posters with excuses, how many times do you walk off the court after a session and say to yourself, "WOW, I really played well today." Myself I know, it is about 3 or 4 times a year. The other 300+ days something is going wrong I am not happy with something, or something doesn't feel right.IMO, what people should understand, is how you play 300+ days of the year, that's how good you REALLY are. The really good days are the anomalies, not the other way around. What you're saying is exactly why people think they're always having a bad day, because we all get lucky and have good days, or even a good few minutes, but that's NOT how good you are. Even a beginner swinging like a lunatic is going to hit some balls in. It's like in golf, if you hit a hole in one, or eagle a round, it would be stupid to think that's a true representation of how good you are and anything less is just a mystery to be dismissed. Like what people see on the videos, for better or worse, that's how good you are. Maybe you used to be better, maybe you only play once a week instead of 5 times a week like you used to -- well join the club. Just sayin.

But you've hit it right on the head, j011, that's why 95% of tennis player overestimate themselves, because they just can't get that miracle day out of their minds. Wilander said that Safin playing out of his mind in the US Open that one year was the worst thing that ever happened to him because ever since, he's been completely ****ed about being anything less than perfect.

tbini87
12-13-2007, 08:19 PM
^ o and all these kids have "nicer strokes" than me, and have all been playing for years with personal coaches. i don't know what it is but my hustle and ability to counter punch big hitters has helped me with playing with these guys. most of them can rip the ball (compared to me) but seem way too agressive and inconsistent to really play good tennis.

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
IMO, what people should understand, is how you play 300+ days of the year, that's how good you REALLY are. The really good days are the anomalies, not the other way around. What you're saying is exactly why people think they're always having a bad day, because we all get lucky and have good days, or even a good few minutes, but that's NOT how good you are. Even a beginner swinging like a lunatic is going to hit some balls in. It's like in golf, if you hit a hole in one, or eagle a round, it would be stupid to think that's a true representation of how good you are and anything less is just a mystery to be dismissed. Like what people see on the videos, for better or worse, that's how good you are. Maybe you used to be better, maybe you only play once a week instead of 5 times a week like you used to -- well join the club. Just sayin.

Absolutely right.

When I started playing again, people would constantly ask me, how are you doin? How is your shoulder holding up? etc.

And my standard reply was "As long as my good days are getting better, and my bad days aren't as bad, that is all that I can ask for."

J

tbini87
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
IMO, what people should understand, is how you play 300+ days of the year, that's how good you REALLY are. The really good days are the anomalies, not the other way around. What you're saying is exactly why people think they're always having a bad day, because we all get lucky and have good days, or even a good few minutes, but that's NOT how good you are. Even a beginner swinging like a lunatic is going to hit some balls in. It's like in golf, if you hit a hole in one, or eagle a round, it would be stupid to think that's a true representation of how good you are and anything less is just a mystery to be dismissed. Like what people see on the videos, for better or worse, that's how good you are. Maybe you used to be better, maybe you only play once a week instead of 5 times a week like you used to -- well join the club. Just sayin.

But you've hit it right on the head, j011, that's why 95% of tennis player overestimate themselves, because they just can't get that miracle day out of their minds. Wilander said that Safin playing out of his mind in the US Open that one year was the worst thing that ever happened to him because ever since, he's been completely ****ed about being anything less than perfect.

totally agree with that. for example, some little guy in my tennis class watched me beat last years "#1" singles player. the kid kept talking to me and asked how it was and what the score was and all, and came to the conclusion that i was now the #1 kid on the team! haha. people don't understand that one good/bad performance does not mean much at all. people play at the 5.0 level 1 day out of the year, where they can't miss a single shot, and think they are 5.0 material despite playing at the 3.0 level the other 364 days of the year...

35ft6
12-13-2007, 08:27 PM
^ For somebody who just started playing, you have pretty evolved tastes in racket and string.

2 Tecnifibre T-Fight 335 16*20 Pro Supex Big Ace 17 (RED) @ 56.
TW Leather + Yonex Supergrap.

So did you just start playing "seriously" a year ago, or you never picked up a racket until a year ago? How long did you play for before deciding two $170 rackets were a reasonable purchase?

J011yroger
12-13-2007, 08:34 PM
^^ He probably got a technifibre package because he is on a college team. Technifibre hands out packages like bloomingdales hands out perfume samples.

J

onehandbh
12-13-2007, 08:39 PM
^ For somebody who just started playing, you have pretty evolved tastes in racket and string.

So did you just start playing "seriously" a year ago, or you never picked up a racket until a year ago? How long did you play for before deciding two $170 rackets were a reasonable purchase?

A week after I started playing, I decided that I needed my PS85 with
14.3 grams of lead tape at 3 & 9 and balanced to be 7.5 pts headlight.
All three were balanced and blueprinted for accuracy.
I also, was figured out that the optimal string/tension for my game
was 67 lbs with prince synthetic gut. Same thing with my shoes.
Sometimes the shoes had different weights due to manufacturer's
tolerances, so I would add lead tape under the insole to match them.
Once I switched from the St. Vincent PS to the China version, I no longer
needed to add lead tape.

On a more serious note, I don't think I even knew what racquet I was
playing with when I first started. Just played with it until it broke and
then got another (different) one.

tbini87
12-13-2007, 08:39 PM

i just started playing tennis a year ago, and started playing seriously quickly. i have played competitive sports all my life, but never tennis (soccer, baseball, basketball, football). i had always planned on playing a sport in college (left handed pitcher was probably my best shot, possibly QB or WR for a small school), but injuries kind of prevented that from happening. so i went to the local jc which is HUGE for football and baseball, but i just coached baseball and football and went to school (taking 19 then 15 units).

so i picked up tennis and loved it as a way to be competitive and not kill myself physically (though sometimes i still do with tennis!). i will admit that i am an equipment junkie (not like jolly or anything!). i got those 2 racquets used for $100 each and i could not pass up that offer. so i don't just throw money around on extra expensive stuff, but i think that if i am going to be playing seriously for a while that i should have top of the line equipment. i string myself and save plenty of money there. sorry for rambling... but that is how i ended up with 2 "$170" dollar racquets and playing tennis seriously for only a year!

onehandbh
12-13-2007, 08:46 PM
To be honest and fair to posters with excuses, how many times do you walk off the court after a session and say to yourself, "WOW, I really played well today." Myself I know, it is about 3 or 4 times a year. The other 300+ days something is going wrong I am not happy with something, or something doesn't feel right. Same with injury, the last time I got out of bed and nothing hurt I was probably 13 years old. If you are an athelete, you know about hurt.

I don't know that we are collectively making excuses to get a pass on poor performance, or simply believe deep down that we can do better than we did on any given day. That never ending desire to constantly improve. The fact that you absolutely are not willing to admit that this is as good as you can play.

I tell friends all the time. "I would be ok, if this is how I always played, if I knew that this was as good as I could ever be, but for about two random weeks per year I am a god on the court, and can do no wrong, and that just ****es me off knowing that I can play that well when I am relagated to mediocrity for the other 50 weeks per year."

J

man, those were the days... back when I played 6 days a week and
got to travel around playing tournaments. It seemed like everything
just gets more and more precise and grooved the more you play.
And at a certain point, it's just a matter of "Can I get to the ball and
in a good position to hit the shot I want to hit?" and "what little
tweaks can I do to improve my game?"

When i first started playing again after a long layoff, I would get
really ****ed off and frustrated b/c I was constantly comparing my
game to when I was playing a lot. So I'd go into this cycle of playing
a little bit until I got too frustrated and then stop playing again and then
get an itch to play again. Repeat.

Nowadays, I've flung all the over to the other end of the spectrum
where I'm just playing for fun and don't care as much, but do want
to improve and love the game. I just have more realistic expectations
now.

35ft6
12-13-2007, 09:00 PM
^ I'll vouch for that. OneHandBH is the most non-angry tennis player I've ever played with my whole life. He never gets upset.

Man, you guys really went nuts with your rackets. Maybe I would have, too, but my parents wouldn't even buy me a racket until I had been playing (weather permitting) for over a year.

tbini87
12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
^ I'll vouch for that. OneHandBH is the most non-angry tennis player I've ever played with my whole life. He never gets upset.

Man, you guys really went nuts with your rackets. Maybe I would have, too, but my parents wouldn't even buy me a racket until I had been playing (weather permitting) for over a year.

i paid with my own money, and really had no problem with it. not going to set me back too much haha. i have definitely been spoiled (even with having 4 siblings) throughout my life when it comes to equipment even for "hobbies" (music/recording equip, surf boards).

tbini87
12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
^ and in a year when i will be working a lot and going to chico state i will prob be playing for fun, and not spending much money on tennis at all. but while i have a chance to compete right now i am going to enjoy and do the best that i can...

CAM178
12-15-2007, 02:06 AM
I know something you do not know.

I am not left handed.

J

LOL. . . priceless. Gotta love the Sicilian.

You're a good sport.

Your "just fooling around" footwork is still a heck of a lot better than my "totally serious" footwork! :)

Thanks, man.

Man, I left this thread for a day or so, and look how many of y'all posted! Sorry I missed out: went out and had a blast Thurs night, and have been paying the price for it ever since. :(

CAM178
12-15-2007, 02:09 AM
man, those were the days... back when I played 6 days a week and
got to travel around playing tournaments. It seemed like everything
just gets more and more precise and grooved the more you play.
And at a certain point, it's just a matter of "Can I get to the ball and
in a good position to hit the shot I want to hit?" and "what little
tweaks can I do to improve my game?"

When i first started playing again after a long layoff, I would get
really ****ed off and frustrated b/c I was constantly comparing my
game to when I was playing a lot. So I'd go into this cycle of playing
a little bit until I got too frustrated and then stop playing again and then
get an itch to play again. Repeat.

Nowadays, I've flung all the over to the other end of the spectrum
where I'm just playing for fun and don't care as much, but do want
to improve and love the game. I just have more realistic expectations
now.

Anyone who has taken time off has gone through this. It can be pretty frustrating if you come back and think that it's going to be like riding a bike. I still have moments like that when I come back. I'll dump a forehand or hit a backhand into the fence, and I start to get ****ed. Then I start laughing and immediately remind myself that it's going to take time to groove again.

For me, it's all about match play. The more I get, the better my game gets. But when I know I'm really back is when I can completely break down an opponent's game analytically within 10 minutes.

onehandbh
12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone who has taken time off has gone through this. It can be pretty frustrating if you come back and think that it's going to be like riding a bike. I still have moments like that when I come back. I'll dump a forehand or hit a backhand into the fence, and I start to get ****ed. Then I start laughing and immediately remind myself that it's going to take time to groove again.

For me, it's all about match play. The more I get, the better my game gets. But when I know I'm really back is when I can completely break down an opponent's game analytically within 10 minutes.

Certain shots seem to take more time to get timing back. Like the
serve. Played a three sets today with shaolin (from TW boards) and it
literally took until the 3rd set before my timing felt a little better and I started to go for
a little more.

J011yroger
12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Certain shots seem to take more time to get timing back. Like the
serve. Played a three sets today with shaolin (from TW boards) and it
literally took until the 3rd set before my timing felt a little better and I started to go for
a little more.

Certain people are different. I have a friend who could hop off his couch after 6 months of not playing and not lose as much as I would if I took 2 weeks off. I feel that if I play less than 3-5 hours a week my game atrophys, which would be the indoor season, and to actually improve I need to put in serious amounts of time.

But you are right about the serve, it is the first thing to go. In the indoor season, I generally shelf my hard slider and my flat serve, and just hit kickers since it is tough for me to keep three serves in servicable shape.

J

tbini87
12-15-2007, 07:12 PM
^^ i haven't really been able to play for about two weeks since my main hitting partner sprained his ankle. tonight i got to hit around with my bro, who hasn't played much for prob 3 weeks or a month, and he was hanging with me. i hadn't really lost anything, but was rusty, but he came out and played like his normal self. interesting how some people can hop on the court after a while and play like they hadn't missed a beat.

J011yroger
12-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Not me, but hey, sometimes I can't play consistently one day to the next.

One day I will have a crowd of people watching and comming up to me asking what I am ranked, and if I play futures and stuff, and the next I will look like I have never hit a tennis ball in my life.

Should have picked an easy sport, like running.

J

ZPTennis
12-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Should have picked an easy sport, like running.

J

I couldn't handle the boredom. No offense to the runners out there. :)

tbini87
12-15-2007, 07:37 PM
haha, i could just see you spending 10k on clothes and shoes, another 10k on gear, and 5-7k annually to re-lace your shoes (or however much you spend on tennis gear). and "practicing" 5 times a week would be a total bore.

J011yroger
12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I couldn't handle the boredom. No offense to the runners out there. :)

Besides the fact that I am not exactly a missile. At least in tennis I can hit hard to make up for being slow.

J

J011yroger
12-15-2007, 07:45 PM
haha, i could just see you spending 10k on clothes and shoes, another 10k on gear, and 5-7k annually to re-lace your shoes (or however much you spend on tennis gear). and "practicing" 5 times a week would be a total bore.

I would have 5 pair of shorts, 2 pair of trainers, a pair of spikes, and a brand new Corvette.

That would about equal my annual tennis budget.

J

tbini87
12-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I would have 5 pair of shorts, 2 pair of trainers, a pair of spikes, and a brand new Corvette.

That would about equal my annual tennis budget.

J

haha. maybe not the worst trade off... but i would have to ditch the vette and stick to playing tennis!

CAM178
12-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, my serve gets really erratic with lack of play. During the indoor season, I used to rely heavily on 2 serves: flat down the middle in deuce and out wide on ad side, and kickers. I still love the deuce kicker away from the returner (kicks to ad).

For me to get back to playing shape, it can take up to 3 weeks. For just the timing to return, it's usually a few days to a week.

hyogen
03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
found this video again
very nice.. so smooth and consistent.

CAM178
03-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks, man. I hope to get some more videos up on here soon.