PDA

View Full Version : Compilation Youtube Video of new improved me

hyogen
12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq5gYhNSJ34

Well, here is my first ever edited video (spliced, joined, edited). I'm pretty happy with a lot of the shots in this video--I'm mainly using the Head Classic Tour MP in this video with semi-western forehand grip...sometimes if I don't have time to prepare it's in between an eastern and semi-western.

I don't have a beautiful federer-like one-handed backhand like Boojay, but I'm so very proud of my 2handed backhand--I worked hard to adjust it and make it what it is now...and a lot of people on these boards gave me very useful tips too.

first point is of me getting aced with the camera right at the center of the net. Then I ace my friend...then have a nice long rally (pretty much as long as they go for me at my level) with me finishing off the point. Some returns of serve, winner, error, etc. And just some rallying.

Also, please don't think I did that did that Rafael celebration move after winning the point naturally... it was a ******** effort at imitating him like Djokovic ;P

Please give me feedback. From my other vids which you can see if you click on "More from this user" I think you can see some improvement. I'm still pretty out of shape and overweight by about 30 lbs at least. -_-

Rate me if you would too :) I personally think I'm 3.5 but some parts of my game sometimes can be as good as 4.0...maybe higher? When I am settled on a racquet, my serve tends to be really strong and reliable...even 2nd serve aces...but then again these are aces against people who are not much better than me.

boojay
12-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Haha, not a good start at all, but a good middle and finish. I definitely think you're higher than 3.5, and if not, certainly higher than most of the inflated 3.5-4.0s on this board. You seem to have a fuller stroke than your partner as well. I also like that you don't dink your 2nd serve. The racquet head speed on a 2nd serve should be the same except more of it should be contributed to spin. Personally, I just hit two 2nd serves right now because I'm working on my 2nd serve.

Who usually wins between the two of you and what do the scores tend to be?

tricky
12-12-2007, 01:36 AM
I really enjoy watching your 2H. It looks like you've adopted a smile pattern takeback, and now you're really hitting through the ball.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Haha, not a good start at all, but a good middle and finish. I definitely think you're higher than 3.5, and if not, certainly higher than most of the inflated 3.5-4.0s on this board. You seem to have a fuller stroke than your partner as well. I also like that you don't dink your 2nd serve. The racquet head speed on a 2nd serve should be the same except more of it should be contributed to spin. Personally, I just hit two 2nd serves right now because I'm working on my 2nd serve.

Who usually wins between the two of you and what do the scores tend to be?

It's sort of a toss up who wins between me and my friend in the video. He can hit really well sometimes, but is probably more streaky than me. He is one of those players who really plays to win and will do it by all means necessary. I am kind of a player who obsesses about trying to hit the ball with the best technique that I can or "like a pro" even if it means I'm going to have more chance of error. I think I could win a lot more points if I just used more topspin and just wait for the other player to make the error--I'd rather be offensive and then go for a winner -_-

I really enjoy watching your 2H. It looks like you've adopted a smile pattern takeback, and now you're really hitting through the ball.

Thanks! I know you helped a lot with my serve thread--but as you can see it hasn't changed much--my trophy pose is actually a little longer than before though.. definitely need to work on it more and will need to go back and read all those tips that you and others wrote.

I really enjoy watching and hitting my backhands too :D I've never had a better backhand and it's always been an achilles heel for me, so I'm absolutely thrilled that I can hit a fairly good backhand consistently :D Now, if only I could hit those short and wiiiide crosscourt winners like Nalbandian does. I'm gonna try out his 28" POG longbody racquet when it arrives from TW.

Wow, I just realized there is a duplicate of a small part of the video back-to-back. Sorry!

jayserinos99
12-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I think you should just stick with the FXP Prestige Team, it seems you've settled with it quite well. Unless Head comes out with the MG Prestige Team lol.

About the only thing I see that is holding you back is your footwork. It seems that you have 'heavy feet' and there are times you stand flatfooted. Your strokes are pretty good and you tend to get good weight behind your shots.

Anyway, I liked the middle and end of the video because I could see where your shots land and how your hitting partner reacts to it. Just as advice, I just picked up a Gorilla pod (tripod) where the legs can be wrapped around things like fences. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I just used one tonight for my camera and it worked like a charm. It could give you options as to where you can place your camera without worrying about it being hit.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Well, the last part of the video where I am just rallying is where I'm using the FXP prestige Team. I don't like how if I don't hit the sweetspot the head feels kinda unstable. For most of the video I am using the Head Classic Tour (the MP PC600 remake). I didn't like the weight of it at first, but I think I'm starting to like it more. By the way the FXP prestige team has a fair amount of lead in the handle and a small amount at 3 and 9 o'clock.

thanks for the gorilla tripod tip. My camera is an Olympus stylus 790SW (waterproof, shockproof to 5feet), so I wasn't too worried about it getting hit :D It was propped on top of a cart full of balls. Wish I could've had the camera further back. so, let's see your video that you took tonight! post it up :D

I definitely have heavy feet a lot of times....I think this has to do with my fitness level right now. like i said, i've lost 10lbs so far (from 200lbs), but I still need to lose at least 25-35lbs to be where I was in college (155 or so)...the ideal build and weight for ME. -_- Once I get there, I wouldn't mind putting on maybe 5 or 10 more lbs of lean muscle

jayserinos99
12-12-2007, 02:12 AM
The Prestige Team and Classic Tour are fairly different; I've had both at one point and I believe the lack of weight makes the Prestige Team a bit unstable in the head. But then I think the Prestige Team is the sort of racquet that's designed for people to generate a good deal of racquet head speed for power.

As for being overweight, I'm 5'7" 220 lbs. (I'd like to get down to 170 but that'll take a long time...more for being less injured than being quicker really..) But my hitting partners have commented that I move well for a big man so I think to combat heavy feet you just have to learn how to stay on your toes and remain active with your feet and always forcing yourself to take that extra adjustment step.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Ahh..that's cool that you owned both of these racquets at one point as well -_- I don't think many have tried the FXP prestige Team. I think I've added a little too much weight to the racquet--it feels really muted now.

I'm 5'11" or so and now 190lbs. Tennis is pretty much the only running I do, so I think that's also a reason why I'm not losing as fast as I want to - and my feet are heavy. I see your point about staying on toes--I'll focus on that from now on. I definitely feel flat-footed many times. :x

Doc Hollidae
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Backhand looks Roddick-esque. It's much more grooved than the previous videos and pictures you've shown.

On return of serve you might wanna start split stepping. It's often overlooked, but so necessary.

Also might want to close the racket face on your slice a bit more. It looks like your slice sits up quiet a bit. With slice you want to keep it low. A little tip for keeping slice low and to minimize the bounce, swing slow and smoothly. Often people swing pretty hard when hitting slice and while there's a ton of spin, the ball also bounces higher.

CAM178
12-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Nice strokes.

My thoughts: your strokes don't suit your style of play. You stand on top of the baseline, yet you have very full strokes. In order to take full advantage of the half-volley baseline game, you have to have shorter strokes. Thusly why some of your shots are sitters. Also, your grip on your serve is more slice than topspin. I would fix that if I were you, so that you can utilize the topspin serve. It looks like it would be a nice accent to your game.

Great job, and keep posting vids as you improve! :)

hyogen
12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the tips, doc.

I have been trying to do the split step...and I'm trying to stay on my toes more and lean down low and that is helping me....but the split step--which I can see in my mind: Federer doing a lot of. When exactly do you make this little hop? Right when the impact of the serve happens?

I'm having trouble timing it.

Closed racquet face means more perpendicular to the ground right? Not parallel.... I see....makes sense :D

hyogen
12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Cam178, hmm that is a strange concept. shorter strokes? With these low powered flexy racquets I feel like I need to take long fast swings...

I'm not sure if my game is the half-volley baseline game....I'm not a very good half volleyer or a normal volleyer in general--especially with a really flexy frame. So, it's surprising to me that you think I have a half volley baseline game because I'm not very comfortable at the net....I wish I COULD be a baseline half-volleyer...don't really want to be a serve/volleyer, but I would also be content to be a baseline banger. If I'm a baseline banger- I need full strokes like the ones I have, right?

So, with shorter strokes - what would that accomplish? Shorter balls to the opponent? Hmm... please help me understand :o
With these longer strokes, I should be farther back behind the baseline?

As for my serve, my first serve is a little bit more of a slice than complete flat...is more consistent that way. Hmm...for kick serve I think I sometimes do use more of a slice grip, but usually try to use a more extreme grip--feels a little awkward still though.

Looking at my video, I'm unhappy with how my serve looks. I know i'm not just using my arms for the power, but still as others have commented about my serve--there is a kinda a break in the chain of kinetic energy--it's not as pronounced as some, but it's just not taking full advantage of a good body rotation, smooth movement. And I'm not exploding hardly at all into the court.

Man, my serves were bomb with the 27.5" TT Warrior OS (and kick serves were great too). I tried the 27.25" ncode nTour yesterday as well and I could immediately tell an improvement in serving -.- the ncode nTour 95 might be THE racquet for me--or maybe the ntour Two (both 27.25" frames).

CAM178
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Cam178, hmm that is a strange concept. shorter strokes? With these low powered flexy racquets I feel like I need to take long fast swings...
I'm not sure if my game is the half-volley baseline game....I'm not a very good half volleyer or a normal volleyer in general--especially with a really flexy frame. So, it's surprising to me that you think I have a half volley baseline game because I'm not very comfortable at the net....I wish I COULD be a baseline half-volleyer...don't really want to be a serve/volleyer, but I would also be content to be a baseline banger. If I'm a baseline banger- I need full strokes like the ones I have, right?
So, with shorter strokes - what would that accomplish? Shorter balls to the opponent? Hmm... please help me understand :o
As for my serve, my first serve is a little bit more of a slice than complete flat...is more consistent that way. Hmm...for kick serve I think I sometimes do use more of a slice grip, but usually try to use a more extreme grip--feels a little awkward still though.
Looking at my video, I'm unhappy with how my serve looks. I know i'm not just using my arms for the power, but still as others have commented about my serve--there is a kinda a break in the chain of kinetic energy--it's not as pronounced as some, but it's just not taking full advantage of a good body rotation, smooth movement. And I'm not exploding hardly at all into the court.

I'm glad that you took my post the right way, in that I was saying that your game is pretty good, but it would not take much to get to the next level. That's a good place to be!

I commented on the Agassi-like approach you have based on the fact that you sit on top of the baseline. You end up half-volleying quite a few of the shots, versus just take a step or two back and utilizing that full swing style that you have. The advantage to the Agassi approach is that it takes time away from your ooponents, and takes them out of their comfort zone. They start to realize that they have to get into position faster, and that they need to finish their strokes quicker. Basically, it makes them uncomfortable.

We've all been there as to the kick serves. I think for most, that is one of the hardest serves to learn. It is so funny, though: the second you hit one for the first time, you will almost want to jump up and down and scream ' I DID IT!!' Just don't overdo the motion (i.e. going too extreme - too much spin attempt), as you can do some major damage to your shoulder/rotator cuff. Just ease into that serve. Go a little bit at a time. The best way to describe how to do it is to increase acceleration up, over, and into the ball.

As to the kinetic break with serves, yes, that is happening. Only one way to fix that: practice. Get out there about twice a week with a shopping cart of balls, and practice practice practice. Do NOT. . . I repeat do NOT try to bang some serves while you're practicing to impress someone on one of the other courts. Pay attention to your motion. If you feel a hitch, work on it IMMEDIATELY. It is best to correct any glitches as they appear. And only hit 20% of your practice serves at max speed. I recommend placement over speed ANY day. You will be amazed at what placement can do, and how upsetting it will be for your opponents! :)

boojay
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Totally agree with CAM. I mean, I don't think you're overdoing it, but from personal experience, when I made my swing more compact, it allowed me to time the hit better and hit more in front of me. My follow through has remained the same, however. I still need to smooth out my stroke and if anything, I probably need a slightly bigger swing, but I used to have a massive backswing which made it difficult to hit with consistency.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
hmmm i see... how are you guys able to generate as much pace that is needed?

I think I see how taking a shorter backswing will make my shots more consistent.

Doc Hollidae
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the tips, doc.

I have been trying to do the split step...and I'm trying to stay on my toes more and lean down low and that is helping me....but the split step--which I can see in my mind: Federer doing a lot of. When exactly do you make this little hop? Right when the impact of the serve happens?

I'm having trouble timing it.

Closed racquet face means more perpendicular to the ground right? Not parallel.... I see....makes sense :D

Normally I try and split step sometime around impact pending on service style and toss height. If it's a high toss I split step a little later, if it's an abbreviated motion or low toss, I'll go a little earlier.

Yes, closed means less parallel. By closing the racket face, you'll getting a tighter spin and be able to keep the ball lower. However remember that you don't need to get under the ball to create slice. The angle of the racket face will create underspin by itself, so concentrate on hitting through the ball rather than under it. From the video, it looks like your form is relatively sound so that grip change should produce quick results.

In regards to the playing style CAM spoke of, I'd personally wouldn't change anything as there's nothing wrong with your current style imo. The one thing about that style of play is it requires a strong wrist and I know you're battling wrist soreness as of late. It also requires exceptional footwork as it take good preparation to take the ball as early as Agassi. However, you do want to practice abbreviated strokes as it will allow you to handle pace and allow you to react to different spins and angles a lot better. Standing on/near the baseline is fine, as long as you are able to adjust and take a shorter swing when needed. Your backhand is pretty compact, but your forehand is a full swing.

In regards to generating pace with shorter strokes it comes from 3 areas mostly: 1) Legs and hips 2) Taking the ball early 3) Hitting more flat and driving through the ball moreso than brushing up. IMO if Agassi played the way he did hitting Nadal type spin, the heavy spin would give the opponent more time to react and thus counteract taking the advantage he gains from taking the ball early.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Ah i see. My wrist soreness is 100% due to the MG prestige Pro which michael chaho recommended to me. He also commented that it had this natural affinity to flick the wrist/rotate the wrist around. Other people were commenting on that as well--my wrists are still sore and I've never had wrist problems before.

Actually, a few days before I tried the MG prestige pro my wrist was a little bit sore (for the first time) from hitting with a Babolat pure drive. the MG pro must have further injured it.

***When taking shorter backswings....does that mean I need to use my trunk rotation/shoulders MORE to get the same amount of power?

Doc Hollidae
12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
***When taking shorter backswings....does that mean I need to use my trunk rotation/shoulders MORE to get the same amount of power?

Yes, the power produced comes primarily from your body and taking the ball early. It required an extreme amount of fitness as later in his career, Agassi got himself into exceptional shape and the results showed it.

One thing that I think is very important about this style of play is having a solid and stable racket. I personally play a very similar style to Agassi and I found that I needed heavier and more stable rackets as unstable ones lead to weak shots when short hopping balls of the baseline. This was the main reason I stopped playing with the LM Radical. When playing paceless players, this style can be hell as you have no pace to feed off of. So at the lower levels of USTA play, playing against pushers will give you fits.

johnny ballgame
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks better than 3.5 to me. I thought I was the only guy who sometimes runs around his forehand to hit an inside-out 2HBH!

hyogen
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Hehe, I don't do that often, but lately I've been enjoying hitting backhands so much I'll do that even when not absolutely necessary.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
i'll see if I can get some better vids today. I didn't realize my camera could take longer than 10 second videos (10 second limit on 640x480 qvga vids), but I can choose the smaller vid and take 25min videos which are good enough quality for Youtube :)

Bottle Rocket
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Just as advice, I just picked up a Gorilla pod (tripod) where the legs can be wrapped around things like fences. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I just used one tonight for my camera and it worked like a charm. It could give you options as to where you can place your camera without worrying about it being hit.

Hey... After reading this thread and your post, I went to check out their website. I just got a little camera to play with and their tripod looks excellent. I couldn't figure out how to make something like that for myself, so I just bought one. Thanks for posting!

To the OP, I enjoyed the videos... The previous posters said most of what there is to say and they're probably much more qualified than I am.

hyogen
12-12-2007, 11:01 PM
sweet! glad you got something out of it. I might have to get that myself.

I hit with the Prestige Classic Tour again and really liked it again. Was playing with someone I would guess is a solid 4.5 player and I gave him a run for his money for a few games, but then I lost focus and lost :x Was hitting some great shots and some winners.

I got to try a PS6.0 85 for the first time too!!! It was a lot lighter and a lot more maneuverable than I had imagined.... I was able to hit some decent shots with it, one handed backhand was easier with this than my other racquets..and the 2hander was not bad either. The guy had some really really soft string setup (like trampoliny). It was not bad -_-

I am tempted to get the Ntour 2, or Ntour 1...they seem like almost identical racquets. the Ntour 2 is only 1 point headlight...while the 1 is even balanced... other than that, i like the 95sq in head and the 27.25" length. and both have a flexy 61 stiffness :D I tried an nTour 1 and my serves were nice with it.

Still waiting for my longbody POG...wonder what that will be like.

The only other one I am kinda craving is the PS85 or PS90 or 95 or whatever. It was really fun to hit with the PS85 and I could hit some nice down the line 1handed backhands with it.

boojay
12-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I got to try a PS6.0 85 for the first time too!!! It was a lot lighter and a lot more maneuverable than I had imagined.... I was able to hit some decent shots with it, one handed backhand was easier with this than my other racquets..and the 2hander was not bad either. The guy had some really really soft string setup (like trampoliny). It was not bad -_-

Oh yah, I wanted to comment on this when you mentioned it in the other thread. I think the reason why the PS85 feels light is because of it's weight distribution. It's so nice and tidy. I say that since in actuality, the PS85 is one of the heavier racquets on the market, but it certainly doesn't feel that way!

jayserinos99
12-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey... After reading this thread and your post, I went to check out their website. I just got a little camera to play with and their tripod looks excellent. I couldn't figure out how to make something like that for myself, so I just bought one. Thanks for posting!

No problem man. Let us know how filming turns out with the new tripod!

jayserinos99
12-13-2007, 12:30 AM

The only other one I am kinda craving is the PS85 or PS90 or 95 or whatever. It was really fun to hit with the PS85 and I could hit some nice down the line 1handed backhands with it.

Did you try volleying with it? It's like a scalpel up at the net. I loved it for doubles provided my returns were on.

hyogen
12-13-2007, 12:57 AM
no i really didn't get a chance to hit that many volleys.

The more i think about it I want to get a PS85 for me to have in my bag. I can warm up with it...play with it even as my backup. I think I may rather have a PS85, prestige classic MP, POG longbody (maybe a normal POG) instead of spending money right now to buy one or two more of the same racquet.

jayserinos99
12-13-2007, 01:11 AM
^ Sounds like you're going down the path of the racquet collector/racquet-o-holic (I should know, I am one). For me, I take great joy in collecting frames (especially rare ones, if I could find them...) and especially hit with them to find the 'magic' about them. I don't know what your ultimate goal is, but if it's playing league and tournaments (and ultimately improving), then picking up at least two of the same frame is a given. It's very tough to improve if you keep switching frames. In my case, I play league tennis and I don't 'demo' during the season and I pick up 3 of the same frame (combo league it was the APDC). Right now it's the off-season and I get to fiddle with equipment and I hope to do a detailed write up between the Pure Storm Tour and MG Prestige Pro.

Jonny S&V
12-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Lol, pretty nice strokes (especially the ace up the middle at the beginning :twisted:). I really like your forehand, smooth and compact, that's the way it should be, none of this Gonzalezesque enormous wind-up. Your backhand is good, but you tend hold your follow-thru a little long (although this is a good problem to have). Who was yelling in the background, btw?

hyogen
12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Lol, pretty nice strokes (especially the ace up the middle at the beginning :twisted:). I really like your forehand, smooth and compact, that's the way it should be, none of this Gonzalezesque enormous wind-up. Your backhand is good, but you tend hold your follow-thru a little long (although this is a good problem to have). Who was yelling in the background, btw?

I was the one getting aced in the beginning :P Just thought it was a cool angle for the camera. I'm not sure who was yelling...probably the old women who kicked us off their court, cuz they had reserved that one.

hyogen
12-13-2007, 09:10 AM
^ Sounds like you're going down the path of the racquet collector/racquet-o-holic (I should know, I am one). For me, I take great joy in collecting frames (especially rare ones, if I could find them...) and especially hit with them to find the 'magic' about them. I don't know what your ultimate goal is, but if it's playing league and tournaments (and ultimately improving), then picking up at least two of the same frame is a given. It's very tough to improve if you keep switching frames. In my case, I play league tennis and I don't 'demo' during the season and I pick up 3 of the same frame (combo league it was the APDC). Right now it's the off-season and I get to fiddle with equipment and I hope to do a detailed write up between the Pure Storm Tour and MG Prestige Pro.

My ultimate goal is to become like a 5.5 player that can play well in tournaments. I can't see myself taking the time off work to really commit to lots of tournaments and stuff, but I should would love to be able to compete at that level. Most of all tennis is so fun for me and it has replaced my hobby of Paintball (tennis is cheaper...by a little bit).

Right now I'm have lots of bills, not too much income-- so I'm just trying to keep a balance between finding THE perfect frame for me, getting cool oldschool racquets, etc...

Azzurri
12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Good solid strokes from what I seen on the video. I read what the other posters said about your movement (I presume prior to the ball coming back). Maybe move a little more to stay a little lighter on your feet (small hops or just leaning a little on the forefoot) will help you to move more quickly around the court.

I was wondering where you toss the ball? It seems like you toss the ball almost straight up around 1pm? Anyway, why not toss a little more in front (into the court) and try to hit it at its peak. You have a nice swing towards the ball, but the toss just seems a little off. Goran I used to hit the ball at its peak (he also did not toss it high)...may work for you. Takes a little time to get used to it, but it could work for your serving swing.

Thanks for sharing! Takes a LOT of courage!:)

hyogen
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
gah, i've ironed out my groundstrokes quite a bit more since this video, but my fitness is almost worse. I NEED TO LOSE 40 LBS and NOW. even 20 would make a huge difference! GAH! maybe i'll start running again...and dieting D;

once I do that i'll make a new video

hyogen
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
i've lost about 5lbs so far -_- My goal is another 35 within 4 months.

Pulled my hamstring/glut muscle sorta yesterday out of the blue. guess I didn't warm up enough.

saram
03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I only see one issue: fitness. Good solid strokes, Johnny was right on the holding of the stick motionless on your forehand after striking the ball.

I can't really rate you as I am in a town where EVERYONE is a 4.0 for some reason. The only time I see other 4.0's around the country is when we travel to the state tournaments on league play. You could definitely beat a LOT of the 4.0's around here. You could probably beat 80% of them if your footwork and fitness were higher.

Sorry to hear about the muscle pull--hope this doesn't keep you from shedding the desired weight!

hyogen
03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
actually it must have been pretty minor. I feel a lot better today. don't have to limp.

Is your wife korean? you have a cool tattoo -_-

Doc Hollidae
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Various people have already told him about sticking with the same equipment. It's beating a dead horse at this point.

hyogen
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
i think i've found the one doc,

pure storm tour...

and just to have I want a PT280 -_-