PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever go to South Africa??

Rick_Olson
12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Or Southern Africa?

Arthur Ashe received a great condemnation, (and a great amount of praise, I guess) for going there, under apartheid. Now, we have the opportunity to endorse the positive, but are we doing it?

I ask, because of a pair of videos I surfed into, on youtube:

shwetty[tennis]balls
12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
-------No.

Rick_Olson
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkOti7pJJg
^^--Black--^^

vv--White--vv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLVdgA1jJU

Big changes there.

Cliff Drysdale came from there. Johan Kriek...lots of good tennis players.

Robsharpei comes (on menstenisforums...) from Zimbabwe..and deos volante should not happen in South Africa what has happened in Zimbabwe.

forzainter
12-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I have been, tops the list as my favourite country in the world, my Gerat-Aunt lives there and she lived under white and black rule, but she thinks its worse now

Edit: I was also in Swaziland and Lesotho, they are nice, Swaziland is more developed but the poor Lesothans houses are actually brick built most of the time rather than the metal, wood and cardboard ones mostly found in SAFA and Swaziland

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I went to Namibia in the summer of 2004 for a Study Abroad trip, if that counts for anything. :confused:

anchorsteamer
12-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Just spent 2 months (after spending 5 weeks last year) in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe (with weekends into Lesotho, Swaziland, Angola and Zambia). The coast of South Africa is amazing (Durban to Cape Town) but Johanesberg is terrible. Namibia and Botswana are amazing for animals and Zimbabwe is a circus (but quite interesting). It truly is a stunning region of beaches, animals and culture but the poverty is sickening and the 30-42% AIDS infection rate is truly staggering. Crime is really bad in Johanesberg but in most places if you are smart you are fine. Racism is still front center though throughout. All in all, If you get the chance go...so much to see and experience...