PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! Check out monica seles's physique and game!

BeHappy
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Seles looks to have lost about 50 pounds, incredible.

She's moving so much better than she has since she put the weight on.

She's playing incredible.

She might just come back and dominate the tour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_jSGUz2lLI

thefederman
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
wow she certainly does look to be in great shape

mrDamien
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
OMG.......she really mean it :shock:.

Richie Rich
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
good shape but compete on WTA? don't know bout that

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Looking back at a few of her matches on You Tube, ...

Tsk, tsk.... :cry:

NLBwell
12-13-2007, 07:33 PM
If Bartoli can be top 10, I don't see why a healthy Seles couldn't be.

Slazenger
12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Umm she is playing against grandmatilova.

Seles's will beat a few top 20 players at most if she comes back, but dominate??? No chance.

mrDamien
12-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Looking back at a few of her matches on You Tube, ...

Tsk, tsk.... :cry:

Tsk meaning?? Is it sob....sob :confused:.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Tsk meaning?? Is it sob....sob :confused:.

It's an open statement take what you want from it....

mrDamien
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
It's an open statement take what you want from it....

Which mean you're sobbing on her :confused:.

Mick
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
If Bartoli can be top 10, I don't see why a healthy Seles couldn't be.
yep. that's what i am thinking. Bartoli is a bad copy of Seles and here we have the original Seles :)

tennisfan_23
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for sharing, OP. I don't know if she'll dominate if she comes back, but she can definitely do a bit of damage if she manages to stay healthy and step up her play a bit.

shell
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Looks great, but wouldn't against a current top 5er. And I say that because the bottom of the top 5 is pretty weak IMHO.

But good to see her back, and best of luck to her on her return to the tour. It will make it fun to watch.

mrDamien
12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Seles should play on senior tour. Do we have that for women :confused:.

navratilovafan
12-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Umm she is playing against grandmatilova.

For your information the great Martina Navratilova is a legend of this game. She is arguably the greatest womens player in history, she is undisputably the greatest women player ever on both grass and indoors. She owns a record 9 Wimbledon Championships, she won her first Wimbledon at 21, her last at 33, won 6 in a row at one point, and reached a Wimbledon final at 37. She owns a record 7 WTA Championships titles. She has countless singles, doubles, and mixed titles. She was winning singles matches on tour still when she dabbled in singles in her late 40s, and was contending for doubles slams titles into her late 40s. It is sad many people on TW are so new to following tennis and do not appreciate the greatness of many of these past champions. There was actually tennis before the Williams, Henin, S1utapova, Federer, and Nadal.

HollerOne5
12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I think if Lindsay Davenport can still play at 30, Monica Seles can most definitely play at 33 or whatever....I don't think Seles would have gotten into such great shape, nor would she have made it a point to be getting some publicity at the moment (beginning around the US Open time) if she weren't planning on making a comeback in 2008.

shell
12-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes, I remember well. Martina is the player that got me big time into tennis. So don't think we all are too young to appreciate her tennis. But the thread was about Hengis' return, and she didn't look up to par even agains Martina N., who is not the dominate player in your stats these days.

Nav. is as good as it got in my opinion, and it is great to see her play again.

Opps, that would be the Seles thread. Note to posters - don't drink 3 glasses of wine and expect to be right on top of things. :shock:

flyer
12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not all that impressed

shintan17
12-13-2007, 09:13 PM
I am not that impressed either...if she ever comes back, its for winning the slam..and I don't see she is beating the bests now and wins one.

rommil
12-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, OP. I don't know if she'll dominate if she comes back, but she can definitely do a bit of damage if she manages to stay healthy and step up her play a bit.

I agree. Being currently match tough is important for anybody to do well on the tour. Exos are not a good measure for it. Considering she has stayed out this long means the injury must be hampering her and even if it subside we don't know when it gets aggravated. That all said, it would be nice to see her back in any way. BTW I have those speakers and they are awesome.

Objective Danny
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Two left handed players going at it, you don't see that every day.

Glad Monica lost the baggage/weight. She looks great.

Slazenger
12-14-2007, 01:45 AM
For your information the great Martina Navratilova is a legend of this game. She is arguably the greatest womens player in history, she is undisputably the greatest women player ever on both grass and indoors. She owns a record 9 Wimbledon Championships, she won her first Wimbledon at 21, her last at 33, won 6 in a row at one point, and reached a Wimbledon final at 37. She owns a record 7 WTA Championships titles. She has countless singles, doubles, and mixed titles. She was winning singles matches on tour still when she dabbled in singles in her late 40s, and was contending for doubles slams titles into her late 40s. It is sad many people on TW are so new to following tennis and do not appreciate the greatness of many of these past champions. There was actually tennis before the Williams, Henin, S1utapova, Federer, and Nadal.

I'm sorry but what does all this have to do with the price of rice in China???

As I was saying before you went WAY left field and made this about Navrat,
SELES (remember, the person who this thread is about) playing an exo against Navratilova and winning is no kind of indicator of how her success at the tour level will be.

I mean Navrat played Roland Garros and Wimbledon singles draw in 2004 and was bounced both times by Gisela Dulko (RG was first round) who I don't think is a top 50 player.

I am not trying to say Navrat sucks. Her record speaks for itself, but her time has passed, and sadly, I think Monica's has as well.

Leelord337
12-14-2007, 02:48 AM
up close she is old looking

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Honestly it's realy good to see Monica playing, and looking so fit, but this match isn't really an indication of the level she is playing. Also, with her taking her one hand off for the forehand has never been a good sign. All that aside, it's great that she is trying to comeback.

bluetrain4
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Honestly it's realy good to see Monica playing, and looking so fit, but this match isn't really an indication of the level she is playing. Also, with her taking her one hand off for the forehand has never been a good sign. All that aside, it's great that she is trying to comeback.

Agreed. She looks great, so if she plays a light schedule and doesn't get injured, she's already ahead of when she left a couple of years ago since she's in much better shape.

But, this match really doesn't show us anything about her potential. I know she can still hit the ball, but a lot of other people can hit the ball well too.

I expect that her comeback will be like Hingis', even though they play a different style.

Here's what I would expect:

(1) beat some solid, but lower-ranked (30 and below) players.
(2) lose to some soild, but lower-ranked players.
(3) have a few wins good wins over very good, but not great players (No. 7 - 30)
(4) have some loses to very good, but not great players
(5) Play a competitive set and show some good tennis against a top player (1-6, Serena and Venus (regardless of where they are ranked)). Maybe (only maybe) win a set against a top player who is playing inconsistently (but not Henin, Venus, or Serena (assuming Venus and Serena are in form) .
(6) Lose fairly badly to a top player (6-2, 6-1 to Justine, 6-3, 6-2 to Venus, for example)

GS
12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
She said she's considering playing Miami next March, but she's 34 now, and isn't grunting anymore, which might be a bad sign. She could win a round or two, though, if she's match-tough.

freelancer
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
What racquet was she playing with? It kind of looked like a PJ of the RQiS 2, or maybe the RQS 55 or something like that. I could't really tell.

CEvertFan
12-14-2007, 03:18 PM
If Monica plans to comeback and play a few more tournaments she will have to remain injury free and from what she's said about it her foot won't hold up to a full schedule, and she might only have 4 or 5 tournaments left in her before she has to call it quits for good. If I were her I would gear up to play a few warm up tournaments as preparation leading into one of her best Slam surfaces which would either be at the AO or the French. If she wants it badly enough she might do well, but I don't think she will ever win another Slam. Once a player hits 30 they usually lose half a step no matter how fit they are, and for her that would be more of a detriment to her game than anything else because her footspeed was never her strongest attribute to begin with. Watching that clip I noticed that Seles was forced to hit a one handed forehand which isn't a good sign regarding her footspeed although in Monica's defense I will say that Navratilova still plays at a pretty high level given her age although not as good as during her glory days in the 80s. Bottom line for me is that I'll just be happy just to see Monica back on the court and playing, no matter what happens.

Warriorroger
12-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Where are all the specatators?? Lots of empty seats.

TonyB
12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Wow, I've been watching tennis for 30 years and I can't believe I didn't realize Seles was a lefty.

Holy crap, I'm an idiot.

LN_Dad
12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Wow, I've been watching tennis for 30 years and I can't believe I didn't realize Seles was a lefty.

Holy crap, I'm an idiot.

This is easy to miss considering she plays 2handed on both sides. She may even be able to serve right handed.

TonyB
12-15-2007, 06:09 PM
This is easy to miss considering she plays 2handed on both sides. She may even be able to serve right handed.

She was serving left-handed against Martina in the video. I guess I don't remember how she served "back when."

EDIT: Just checked another YouTube video from 1993 and Monica was serving left-handed.

CEvertFan
12-15-2007, 11:57 PM
She was serving left-handed against Martina in the video. I guess I don't remember how she served "back when."

EDIT: Just checked another YouTube video from 1993 and Monica was serving left-handed.

She always served left handed but she didn't use the lefty spin serve out wide in the ad court as well as players like Navratilova or McEnroe did.

split-step
12-16-2007, 12:08 AM
She always served left handed but she didn't use the lefty spin serve out wide in the ad court as well as players like Navratilova or McEnroe did.

I distinctly remember her doing this a number of times. I know because I used to watch her do it to practise my slice serve :oops:

split-step
12-16-2007, 12:09 AM
I have a match where she plays (and totally owns) Helena Sukova and she hits extreme lefty slices a number of times.

GS
12-16-2007, 08:48 AM
When she was on the tour, I saw her warm up her groundstrokes hitting just one-handed lefty forehands and backhands, nailing the ball. Then once the match started, she went right to her two-handers. Pretty impressive.

CEvertFan
12-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I distinctly remember her doing this a number of times. I know because I used to watch her do it to practise my slice serve :oops:

I have a match where she plays (and totally owns) Helena Sukova and she hits extreme lefty slices a number of times.

I didn't say she never used it at all, just that she never used it as well as Navratilova ever did. I watched Seles play for her entire career and she sometimes used the lefty slice serve but it still wasn't as good of a lefty slice as Navratilova had, which was absolutely wicked. Ask Evert how she felt about Martina's slice serve to her backhand side and she will say it gave her a heap of trouble. Seles had a good lefty serve, but not a great one.

2 Cent
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
omg... last we saw her play was like 10 year ago??

there's no way she'd be able to hang with these *****es of today. i mean, not now. in her prime she would've whupped them all, tho.

the only slam Monica never won was Wimbledon. i can't see her getting past either of the Williams Sisters, nor Justine Henin.

i love Monica tho. she was so hot when she was a teen. :) and she's got a cute accent. i wish her well.

watching the clip right now... she looks gorgeous! :D

mctennis
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Seles looks great and plays well also. On the other hand Martina looks like she got her outfit in the little boys section at the thrift store. Could she ( Martina) put on some sort of female looking outfit? Without the backwards looking hat too. Daaaaaam.

TheNatural
12-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Seles was very out of shape for a lot of her playing days. She had grandmother triceps. So it would not surprise me if she could be as fit now as when she was playing in her mid 20's -30 aswith a bit of dedication it wouldnt ber that difficult to be fitter than she was than.

rasajadad
12-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Seles looks to have lost about 50 pounds, incredible.

She's moving so much better than she has since she put the weight on.

She's playing incredible.

She might just come back and dominate the tour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_jSGUz2lLI

Maybe she eats what Navratilova eats???