PDA

View Full Version : any Mandolin players here ?

bluegrasser
12-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Just received a J. Bovier mando in the mail & wow this baby kicks butt, a banjer buster for sure. Yea, it's an import, but that's all this poor guy can afford - truthfully, as good as some $3,500 mandos I've played.

BMG
12-14-2007, 07:13 AM
I have a Flatiron A5 Junior mandolin but I mainly play a Gibson Mastertone Earl Scruggs banjo. Not very good player, but I enjoy it. Good luck with the Bovier, I hear that they make a really nice product.

LuckyR
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Guys, I don't know a mandolin from a ukelele, but was wondering what you thought of Evan Marshall, or if he was even famous.

bluegrasser
12-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Guys, I don't know a mandolin from a ukelele, but was wondering what you thought of Evan Marshall, or if he was even famous.

Evan is one he$$ of a player, plays anything from Mozart to Bill Monroe...

LuckyR
12-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Evan is one he$$ of a player, plays anything from Mozart to Bill Monroe...

Evan was on my HS tennis team. He was a senior when I was a freshman. Great guy...

Leelord337
12-15-2007, 02:26 PM
isn't a mandolin one of those slicer things for vegetables?

bluegrasser
12-17-2007, 12:36 PM

No Junior it's not, it's a tool or instrument used ( after sharing a bottle of vino) to get your woman into the s$ck..

edmondsm
12-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Yes, a French Mandolin. One of the most confusing kitchen utensils you'll ever come across. The instrument Mandolin is viewed by most as a folk instrument but at one time was held in high regards in the "classical" world. Composers like Beethoven and Hummel wrote tons of stuff for this beautiful instrument.

CanadianChic
12-17-2007, 02:54 PM
No Junior it's not, it's a tool or instrument used ( after sharing a bottle of vino) to get your woman into the s$ck..

Aww Bluegrasser, although the mandolin is most likely played expertly by you, I have a feeling your wife is putty in your romantic hands even without it. ;)

bluegrasser
12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Aww Bluegrasser, although the mandolin is most likely played expertly by you, I have a feeling your wife is putty in your romantic hands even without it. ;)

I wish - maybe you should drop her a line, I haven't been too lucky lately:oops:

Dedans Penthouse
12-18-2007, 06:50 AM
That "pretty" lil' Marty Stuart guy is a pretty good 'mandolian' imho.
Ricky Skaggs as well.

Bluegrasser: here's a 'bizzarre' album that you might want to check out--this is a hoot! :

Bryan Clark & Honeywagon --- "Sympathy for Bluegrass"
(A Tribute to the Rolling Stones)

Here's a link to some samples: http://cdbaby.com/cd/bryanclark3

Kevin T
12-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey Bluegrass,

Ever hear of a band out of TN called Bonepony? A little edgy, rock/folk/bluegrass kind of sound. An ex-member known as 'Tramp' is a pretty good player, also good on the fiddle and banjo. They must be seen live for true appreciation. I believe Tramp now works at the bluegrass museum/hall of fame? in Owensboro, KY. Their website is the bandname+.com. Check 'em out.

bluegrasser
12-18-2007, 07:13 AM
That "pretty" lil' Marty Stuart guy is a pretty good 'mandolian' imho.
Ricky Skaggs as well.

Bluegrasser: here's a 'bizzarre' album that you might want to check out--this is a hoot! :

Bryan Clark & Honeywagon --- "Sympathy for Bluegrass"
(A Tribute to the Rolling Stones)

Here's a link to some samples: http://cdbaby.com/cd/bryanclark3

Thanks for the heads up - I really liked their take on ' Brown Sugar" good little guitar solo. I really dig the way RS plays the mando, he uses those Monroe blues licks & man can that dude play fast - move over Ritchie Blackmore. :)

bluegrasser
12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Hey Bluegrass,

Ever hear of a band out of TN called Bonepony? A little edgy, rock/folk/bluegrass kind of sound. An ex-member known as 'Tramp' is a pretty good player, also good on the fiddle and banjo. They must be seen live for true appreciation. I believe Tramp now works at the bluegrass museum/hall of fame? in Owensboro, KY. Their website is the bandname+.com. Check 'em out.

I've heard the name - FWIW, I think ' Chris Thile' is the best mandolin player on the planet. You tube CTand see for yourself. I dig ' Dead Leaves & Dirty Ground.' - reall a hard core grass song.

max
12-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Bluegrasser. I've heard the Chris Thile stuff; outrageously great, very cool stuff. My wife's learning the mandolin; I'm a bluegrass guitar guy. . . and I have a ukulele for fun as well.

Never heard of Bouvier. I have some Vivaldi mandolin concertos. But Monroe rocks.

jaggy
12-18-2007, 08:47 AM
It would be my first choice to learn but I am totally untalented musically.

bluegrasser
12-19-2007, 04:37 AM
It would be my first choice to learn but I am totally untalented musically.

Look, with all the learning materials (videos, books/cd's) available today, electronic tuners for the tone deaf like me :) - there's no excuse not to pursue an instrument, that's just a cop out. Get off your duff and get to work.

max
12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
You know Bluegrasser, Chris Thile's playing up at the Old Town School this New Year's Eve, and I"m sorely tempted to go. But it's a good drive away.

bluegrasser
12-19-2007, 01:10 PM
You know Bluegrasser, Chris Thile's playing up at the Old Town School this New Year's Eve, and I"m sorely tempted to go. But it's a good drive away.

I've seen him three times & he's worth the drive, an amazing player in a class by himself - go for it & give us a review.