PDA

View Full Version : advice for ice skating needed!

mrjohansson
12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
ok, i'm going ice skating for the first time in a week or so

i know perhaps a tennis forum isnt the best place to ask, but

any advice you guys can give me?

tennisfan_23
12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey mrjohansson,

Skating is a lot of fun! It's a little tough at first, but you'll get used to it. Here are some tips:

1. Step out onto the ice slowly and get a feel for the surface. Tip: It's NOT like rollerblading. (;
2. Get a friend who knows how to skate to assist you. He/she will probably tell you how to get started (i.e. imagining a "T" shape with your feet and pushing one foot forward, then forming the "T" again and repeat... this will become clear when you try it)
3. If you're not wearing a helmet of some kind, just be careful. Don't wanna bash your head on the ice the first time. (;

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Good luck, and have fun!

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
Been waiting years.....
Keep your stick on the ice.

angharad
Start off slowly, really just walking on the ice with skates on. Once you're comfortable, start gliding a little bit more with each step. Be aware of other skaters, too. At public rinks, at least, there's always someone showing off and not looking where they're going, and crashing into someone with metal blades on your feet isn't exactly fun.

max
12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Keep your feet on top of the skates. I mean by this that you shouldn't let your ankles twist in or outward. Stay on top of the blade. Remember that the blade is there to actually CUT the ice; it's concave.

Learn how to do the snowplow stop; point your toes together, crouch a bit, and you'll slow to a stop.

Rafanatic
12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
It is easy once you get used to it push
push glide

max
12-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah. . . if you're on a public rink, go in the direction everybody else is going! Saves teeth and fingers. :)

Breakaz54z
12-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey mrjohansson,

Skating is a lot of fun! It's a little tough at first, but you'll get used to it. Here are some tips:

1. Step out onto the ice slowly and get a feel for the surface. Tip: It's NOT like rollerblading. (;
2. Get a friend who knows how to skate to assist you. He/she will probably tell you how to get started (i.e. imagining a "T" shape with your feet and pushing one foot forward, then forming the "T" again and repeat... this will become clear when you try it)
3. If you're not wearing a helmet of some kind, just be careful. Don't wanna bash your head on the ice the first time. (;

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. Good luck, and have fun!

Exactly what he said. I roller bladed and then ice skated and I can say the technique once you get moving is a bit similar once you get use to it. This is of course, you've roller bladed before.

1.Definitely start off slowly. You might want to slowly "walk" on the ice
2. Have an experienced person with you.
3. Try to stay close to the edge of the ring as possible, this'll help you practice and not worry about colliding with anyone.
4. It's hard at first keep trying and don't give up!

PS, I STILL don't know how to stop properly for ice skating and roller blading lol

Topaz
12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
^^^Stopping for ice skating is different than stopping for roller blading.

Two things I'll offer:

When you fall, get your hands up off of the ice...quick. Especially if the rink is crowded. You can't depend on someone else being able to steer around you.

Also, if you use figure skates, beware of the toe pick.

*toe pick* NAME THAT MOVIE!!!

angharad
12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
*toe pick* NAME THAT MOVIE!!!

God knows I love The Cutting Edge...although the sequel was wretched.

TheShaun
12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Been waiting years.....
Keep your stick on the ice.

if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy :)

Topaz
12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
God knows I love The Cutting Edge...although the sequel was wretched.

There was a sequel?!? oh no no no!

peter
12-14-2007, 12:25 PM
ok, i'm going ice skating for the first time in a week or so

i know perhaps a tennis forum isnt the best place to ask, but

any advice you guys can give me?

Some additional tips in addition to what the other people said:

1. Wear a helmet. The ice is *hard*. (A bicycle helmet works).
2. Wear elbow protectors (rollerblading stuff is OK).
3. Place the feet wide and *bend* you knees to give you a low point of weight/balance. Sort of like getting ready to return serve.
4. Relax. You don't wanna be a rigid tall tree out there.
5. Preferably wear some kind of gloves. Ice is cold and you _are_ going to
feel it out. Multiple times :-)

hjminard
12-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Sadly, yes, and it included neither of the original stars (D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly)

Swissv2
12-14-2007, 12:43 PM
^^^ everything our fellow Svedizh Meatbol said and....

make sure you have the people at the rink check your skates so they are not dull
Tie your skates so your ankle doesn't twist
small steps when you first start.
Arms out for balance
have fun!

angharad
12-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Unfortunately, yes. They kind of completely ignored the era of the original, with Kate and Doug having a 20- or 21-year old daughter in 2006. Short version: Daughter is a singles skaters, becomes a doubles skater after an injury and partners an "extreme inline skater" from Hawaii, they fight, fall in love, and are assumed to win the gold in Torino. :roll:

peter
12-14-2007, 01:11 PM
^^^ everything our fellow Svedizh Meatbol said and....

make sure you have the people at the rink check your skates so they are not dull
Tie your skates so your ankle doesn't twist
small steps when you first start.
Arms out for balance
have fun!

Ah yes, the #1 there is always a fun one - people buying brand new skates and goes to the ice rink to try them out. Without first having them sharpened. Always a blast :-)

Regarding tieing skates - skip the topmost hole when you tie them - otherwise you won't be able to bend your knees and will be forced to stand up - which will give you balance problems...

Zets147
12-14-2007, 01:12 PM
try to do a spin or two. nobody will judge you. I won't.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
12-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Really, truly, the best advise may be to beg off this thing with the flu; In fact GET the flu so you miss out- if you end up going, THEN you will know the flu would have been the better choice.

mrjohansson
12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
thanks for the feedback :)

max
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
How did it go?

You know, I judge success in learning how to skate by how many times a person has fallen: the more falls, the more effort you're putting into it!

I really like skating: so much like flying. For you advanced skaters, I've found that wearing hockey shins guards is a good thing: if you feel like you're going to fall, just touch the knee to the ice. . . and you stay up. The extra height of the pad helps.