PDA

View Full Version : How to hit backhand with POG OS?

10nisNe1?
03-20-2004, 03:10 PM
I was wondering how the POG OS users hit MOST of their backhand, particularly on return of serves. If you have a 1h topspin backhand, it seems like you have to use a western backhand grip to generate speed and topspin with this racquet. Sliced backhand returns just wont do it for me in doubles.

Kirko
03-20-2004, 03:29 PM
I use an extreme eastern backhand string bed pointtes @ the ground then sweep over the ball ; of course it isn't a perfect world I also have to block some back once in awhile.

10nisNe1?
03-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Kirko:

Doesn't it seem like you're just sweeping the ball instead of really driving through it? I just think that the oversize head and the flexibility of the POG OS cups the ball too long. I like the racquet on my forehand side, but when the ball comes to my backhand side, I just dont have enough time to make the grip shift to a western backhand grip--the only grip I can use to be able to drive the backhand.

Any customization advise would be helpful.

Kirko
03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
No they go the length of the court or 5 ' beyond the serv.box.hv.topspin . I like that "cup" feel . Knew a 6.0 level guy who used the alu.Pro who hit flat but strung his rackets @ 75lbs.

hughfree
03-21-2004, 05:22 AM
I have used the POG OS on and off for years. My one handed backhand is a fairly consistent shot for me. I use a traditional eastern bachand grip. I string my POG's at 70lbs (lock out machine) when I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 and 67 lbs when I use PSG w/ DF 16. I usually hit my backhand with topspin but can drive or slice when the situation dictates. I have found that when I have been using a different racket and come back to the POG I have a difficult time with my BH (fliers, weak topspin, etc.). However, after I work on the wall for a couple of days my timing and preparation come back. I believe the biggest problem with the POG and 1 handed backhands is between the ears. If you have fundamentally solid BH mechanics you just need to give yourself time to adjust to racket.

10nisNe1?
03-21-2004, 08:36 AM
thanks for the info. ill stringing it a bit higher...and maybe putting some lead tape on the throat too...hmm?

Steve H.
03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
If you use a strong SW forehand grip, you have already a strong SW backhand grip without shifting -- just use the same side of the racquet. I'm no expert, but don't understand why more people don't play that way, it's very simple, quick, and convenient especially for return of serve. I play with the POG now and the bh isn't an issue --

10nisNe1?
03-22-2004, 12:52 AM
whoa!....been there, done that. Actually what I used with this kind of hitting was an extreme western forehand and a western backhand. My experience was it was good on clay courts and singles matches and bad on hard courts and doubles.

It was good on clay because mostly I had to wait for the ball to drop, which is ideal for this hitting. It was also good for singles because no matter how high the ball i've just hit, it will still go in because of the tremendous topspin.

It was bad on hard courts because if I need to let the ball drop, I should be on the other side of the fence because of the pace of the ball. It was also bad for doubles because the balls are high, too easy for the net man.

But boy, did I look good doing the same-racquet face hitting....hehehe. Oh btw, my wrist would also hurt with that grip, mostly because of returning flat bomber serves that would skid the lines and stay lower than my ankles....grrr! IMO, same-racquet face hitting is not good for advance play. try hitting a western forehand off a slice serve on the deuce side of a hard courts.

ps 6.0
03-22-2004, 03:34 AM
But boy, did I look good doing the same-racquet face hitting....hehehe. Oh btw, my wrist would also hurt with that grip, mostly because of returning flat bomber serves that would skid the lines and stay lower than my ankles....grrr! IMO, same-racquet face hitting is not good for advance play. try hitting a western forehand off a slice serve on the deuce side of a hard courts.

It works great for me. Semi-western forehand to semi-western backhand, easy transition, great timing, and great spin off the backhand.

10nisNe1?
03-22-2004, 10:56 AM
ps 6.0

wow, yonex mp tour-1 90 huh? youre probably tall or very quick to have great reach or both! i really envy players who can hit with the same face of the racquet on forehand and backhand and do it consistently and effectively. it makes groundstrokes so much simpler.