PDA

View Full Version : Graf vs Sabatini vs Date, Tokyo Pan Pacific Open Tennis March 2008

wlinchon
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello Everyone,

The Tokyo Pan Pacific Open Tennis Japan, March 2008, will feature "Dream Match 2008" pitting Steffi Graf against Gabriela Sabatini against Kimiko Date.

Here is the link (in Japanese):

http://www.toray-ppo.co.jp/web/pc/pre_event/

The scheduled matches are:
Graf vs Sabatini (best of 8 games)
Sabatini vs Date (best of 8 games)
Graf vs Date (3-set match)

CGMemphis
12-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I certainly hope the Tennis Channel will cover that! Nice!

CEvertFan
12-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Graf should beat Sabatini and she should destroy Date, who she never lost to on the Tour. Not really much of a contest there, but will be nice to see Steffi play again.

Warriorroger
12-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Graf should beat Sabatini and she should destroy Date, who she never lost to on the Tour. Not really much of a contest there, but will be nice to see Steffi play again.

Agree, saw the two exhibition matches a couple of years ago and Steffi was holding back, otherwise Gaby would have lost 6/0, 6/0.

BTW, I have the Graf - Williams qf at Wimbledon on tape with British commentary, but on youtube I saw it with the comments of Chris Evert, Chris was really praising Steffi and gave good comments. Enjoyed that.

wlinchon
12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Didn't Date beat Graf once in a Tokyo Pan Pacific Open match? I do recall watching that and the home crowded went bananas. It was quite a thrilling match. That match, happening towards the end of Date's career. I wonder if that win added to her retirement in that it was one of her final big accomplishments. Anyway, isn't that why they decided to have Graf play Date in a three-set match, and the other matches best-of-eight games? To revive that epic event?

I do agree though, that Graf will prevail.

diegaa
12-16-2007, 07:11 PM
nice, it would be a real flashback to watch stefi and gabi play again. i started watching tennis in their era.

bluetrain4
12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I remember that Wimbledon semi between Date and Graf - great match that Graf won.

Loved watching Date play, great angles. Another player that will be largely forgotten because she was in that tier right below the champions of her generation. She made the SFs of 3 of the 4 slams over her career. She retired pretty young (26 or 27), so if she's stayed in shape, she should be able to compete pretty well. I think she runs a tennis academy.

And, I'm so excited to see Sabatini who I haven't seen play in a long time. Those beautiful looping strokes were a sight to behold.

I'm excited to see Graf too, but I don't miss her in the same way because she retired later and up until Andre retired, she was pretty visible in the tennis world since she was always at the big tourneys.

grafrules
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I agree but Graf actually did lose to Date once in Fed Cup, it was in 1996, huge upset and Date came from way down and saved a match point on the way to winning.

CEvertFan
12-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I agree but Graf actually did lose to Date once in Fed Cup, it was in 1996, huge upset and Date came from way down and saved a match point on the way to winning.

I stand corrected.

goober
12-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Exhibitions are a joke. This is in Japan. The match between Graf and Date is going to be close and Graf may have even agreed to lose.