PDA

View Full Version : Venus graduates college and launches largest ever fashion line by a female athlete

tennisjunkiela
12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Props to Venus Williams for graduating college:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1914

And for launching the largest ever fashion line by a female athlete with the company Steve and Barry's. If P Diddy and JayZ can do it, why not Venus:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1906

The Williams Sisters continue to re-define what it means to be a world-class athlete and that you can also pursue education and other interests at the same time.

JW10S
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
To be fair Venus received an Associates Degree (2 year), not a Bachelors Degree (4 year)--so to say she 'graduated' from college is pushing it a bit. Jelena Jankovic, who is ranked higher than either of the Williams sisters, also attends college, as do other WTA players.

Breakaz54z
12-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Right, Jankovic is majoring in business I believe?

tennisfan_23
12-15-2007, 06:47 PM
It's always good to hear that people are still attending college/university/some kind of post-secondary while playing professional tennis. Always good to have something to fall back on, and to have some kind of academic pursuit is great. Keeps the mind active, which in turn also helps in tennis! It's a very mental and physical game, no? (;

Objective Danny
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
This thread should be in 'The Odds & Ends' forum.

tennisjunkiela
12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
To be fair Venus received an Associates Degree (2 year), not a Bachelors Degree (4 year)--so to say she 'graduated' from college is pushing it a bit. Jelena Jankovic, who is ranked higher than either of the Williams sisters, also attends college, as do other WTA players.

you're correct - lots of tennis players attend college (the us has many college players that get degrees every year)

however, there are virtually no top 10 players (male or female) with a college degree (associate or bachelor's) like venus.

and more importantly, no world #1 woman tennis champ in the entire open era of tennis has ever earned a college degree while playing (not chris evert, not tracy austin, not martina, lindsey, henin, graf, seles, etc.) except venus and serena so, i think it's fair to say they are re-defining what it means to be a world-class athlete!

btw, props to jankovic but the wta will write about her when she graduates, right now she is in school and we hope that she finishes.

split-step
12-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I think Chakvetadze is going to college as well majoring in Psychology. Not to take anything away from Venus though.
Congrats to her and her affordable clothing. Do you, Venus.

goober
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
you're correct - lots of tennis players attend college (the us has many college players that get degrees every year)

however, there are virtually no top 10 players (male or female) with a college degree (associate or bachelor's) like venus.

and more importantly, no world #1 woman tennis champ in the entire open era of tennis has ever earned a college degree while playing (not chris evert, not tracy austin, not martina, lindsey, henin, graf, seles, etc.) except venus and serena so, i think it's fair to say they are re-defining what it means to be a world-class athlete!

btw, props to jankovic but the wta will write about her when she graduates, right now she is in school and we hope that she finishes.

When people ask you if you graduated from college or if you are applying for a job that requires a college degree- it pretty much means a bachelors. An Associates is equivalent to graduating from junior college or a technical school (In this case a Fashion Institute). If you are going for a bachelors degree at a 4 year university you will accumulate if enough credits for associates after two years but they don't award you a degree of any kind until you complete a bachelors. Just out of curiosity-have you gone to college yet?

If you want to talk about top players with impressive academic credentials. Anne Smith (former #1 in doubles, 10 slam titles and #12 in Singles) received a PhD at University of Texas at Austin.

Polaris
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
When people ask you if you graduated from college or if you are applying for a job that requires a college degree- it pretty much means a bachelors. An Associates is equivalent to graduating from junior college or a technical school (In this case a Fashion Institute). If you are going for a bachelors degree at a 4 year university you will accumulate if enough credits for associates after two years but they don't award you a degree of any kind until you complete a bachelors. Just out of curiosity-have you gone to college yet?

If you want to talk about top players with impressive academic credentials. Anne Smith (former #1 in doubles, 10 slam titles and #12 in Singles) received a PhD at University of Texas at Austin.

Exactly what he said.

Another example of a top player with impressive academics: Virginia Wade, who won Wimbledon in 1977, had a college degree in mathematics and physics at the University of Sussex.

swimntennis
12-16-2007, 12:52 PM
It also took her around 8 years too, right?

Still, congrats for her opening the clothing line. It's nice that she creates "cheaper" clothes and isn't too high to wear them herself.

chess9
12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Congrats to Venus on her degree and new clothing line. I think she is a class act.

Having a 4 year degree is not as meaningful as it once was, and it's certainly not important for a pro tennis player to have a degree. There are quite a few very bright people who were in the pro ranks who don't have degrees. Didn't Blake get in two years at Harvard? Or, close? Brad Gilbert graduated didn't he? Or, did he jump ship from Allen Fox? :) <nb: Allen rocks>

-Robert

koopa_troopa
12-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Congrats to Venus on her degree and new clothing line. I think she is a class act.

Having a 4 year degree is not as meaningful as it once was, and it's certainly not important for a pro tennis player to have a degree. There are quite a few very bright people who were in the pro ranks who don't have degrees. Didn't Blake get in two years at Harvard? Or, close? Brad Gilbert graduated didn't he? Or, did he jump ship from Allen Fox? :) <nb: Allen rocks>

-Robert

Yeah, Blake was at Harvard playing tennis and left early to go pro. In his book he said he promised his mom he would one day go back and finish his degree, we'll see if he keeps his promise.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Good for Venus!!! Thought she would never finish with this program.

sureshs
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM

She got it after she retired from tennis. Big difference.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
12-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe she can design some stuff for her sister. Frankly that may take away from her current supplier, Omar the tent mak... oh, never mind.

goober
12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
She got it after she retired from tennis. Big difference.

Well if Venus gets a PhD from a major University after she retires, I'll say kudos to her. What do you consider more difficult getting an associates degree in about 8 years while on the tour or getting a PhD at a top ranked university with no timeframe?

ja_
12-18-2007, 04:09 AM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5806/2111407554wr7.jpg

Congrats Venus.

N23
12-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Good for her!

jmsx521
12-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Yea, I agree: To say she graduates from college is a bit pushing it. Two-year AS degrees are nothing. I didn't even attend my Bachelor's ceremony... and I didn't even think there was a ceremony for my AS. It's more like learning a trade. Real education begins when you start going for Master's and Phd's. But, paying the amount of money for that, is ridiculous.... I should've been in France!

slice bh compliment
12-31-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah, 'graduates from college" implies 4 years I think.

I'd probably use the expression, "got a degree". Maybe ''graduated from a college"... ''finished art school?'', ''got a fashion degree'', something like that.

Well, in either case, that's really nice. Congrats to Venus!
All the best with the tennis and the affordable hipster/fitness clothing. I think that's a good call, especially of the clothes are of good quality.