PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay motivated?

BackInTheGame
12-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm a former college player trying to get my game going again after about 8 years away from the game. I've been back for about 3 months now, but I'm losing motivation. What keeps you guys motivated? I need to find something. I need there to be something that I'm playing for, something to work towards. Right now I'm really just playing for the sake of playing again, and i'm enjoying it, but I can feel the motivation waning and I don't want it to.
So, what keeps you all motivated?

weekendwarrior
12-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I know I'm never going to be number one in the world. But I just want to be the best that I can be. There are a few players who have consistently beaten me. These are my personal Everests. I'm playing in a 4.0 league. Hope to get my level up by 0.5 increments. But basically, I just feel happy out on court. Tennis should be FUN above everything else.

Phil
12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I've been back for about 3 months now, but I'm losing motivation. What keeps you guys motivated? I need to find something. I need there to be something that I'm playing for, something to work towards. Right now I'm really just playing for the sake of playing again, and i'm enjoying it, but I can feel the motivation waning and I don't want it to.
So, what keeps you all motivated?
For most of us, the boldfaced sentence above is more than enough reason to keep playing.

If that is not enough for you to stay motivated, consider taking up another sport or hobby or enter high-level tournaments, if that's what floats your boat. You should not have to force yourself to be motivated towards something that you truely like or love.

shintan17
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
For most of us, the boldfaced sentence above is more than enough reason to keep playing.

If that is not enough for you to stay motivated, consider taking up another sport or hobby or enter high-level tournaments, if that's what floats your boat. You should not have to force yourself to be motivated towards something that you truely like or love.

I agree with Phil...I don't need any motivation to play tennis. I just love the sport.

BackInTheGame
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, thats not going to be enough. I can't do things that way. It's why i stopped playing for so many years. It's all or nothing for me, and with two small children at home, there's no way I can give it my all anymore. I'm trying real hard to just enjoy being out there again, but in the end its not going to be enough. I need something to keep me motivated.

35ft6
12-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Never had a problem with motivation. I'm not very competitive, but I just love hitting the ball. I live for moments when you make clean contact and put the wall where you want. Also, I like dissecting people's games but, again, I don't really care that much since nothing's been at stake for years now. It all starts with loving to hit. Those guys who love to compete, but don't necessarily love hitting, are usually miserable *******s.

chess9
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
So, if you are a 4.5 player now and you improve to 5.0, is that enough motivation?

If you are out of shape now, and get into shape playing tennis, is that enough motivation to keep playing?

Maybe tennis will keep the real world from driving you crazy? Or, would you let tennis also drive you crazy?

It doesn't matter if you are a 1.0 or Roger Federer, if you aren't having fun playing, then why play?

For me, I enjoy the people, the process, the physical outlet, and the emotional release of the game.

-Robert

Leelord337
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
when you get bored Just serve and volley, try to stick your volleys...ITS A LOT OF FUN

OrangeOne
12-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, thats not going to be enough. I can't do things that way. It's why i stopped playing for so many years. It's all or nothing for me, and with two small children at home, there's no way I can give it my all anymore. I'm trying real hard to just enjoy being out there again, but in the end its not going to be enough. I need something to keep me motivated.

External motivation simply isn't going to work. It's unlikely that someone here says "I keep playing because I love hitting forehands" and you suddenly awaken to the fact that you like that too!

Almost all motivation in life needs to come from within. If you truly don't want to play, don't play, do as Phil says and find another Hobby....

Anyways - above you've said it that it's all or nothing, and you also said it can't be all... so....well, you know.

flyer
12-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Well as for me I agree with Phil, I just love playing, but I do understand your circumstances, I think you need to be working for something, ask yourself why did you start playing again to begin with...maybe introducing your children to the game could motivate you, I think all children should be involved in sports to promote a healthy lifestyle and you could be an example to them if not a coach...I guess the staying in shape and other such motives aren't enough for you but you need to find something

flyer
12-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Never had a problem with motivation. I'm not very competitive, but I just love hitting the ball. I live for moments when you make clean contact and put the wall where you want. Also, I like dissecting people's games but, again, I don't really care that much since nothing's been at stake for years now. It all starts with loving to hit. Those guys who love to compete, but don't necessarily love hitting, are usually miserable *******s.

Hahaha I like this post and your analysis, I love to hit but I live to compete, where does that put me???

BackInTheGame
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think what I really need is to have someone kick my ***** in a match. The league I joined simply isn't good enough, and I'm winning too easily every week. Hopefully having someone wipe the court with me will be like pouring gas on the fire.

HyperHorse
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I find when i lost motivation, It helps to eat a lot of red meat.
Hit the gym, do some martial arts.. Go cycling...
Watch films that I've missed out on.
Think about all the recent losses on the tennis court.
And then when you're done being physically tired and missing the game, you're ready to hit the courts again like a hydrogen bomb waiting to explode.

LanEvo
12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
i gotta say the best motivation to become motivated again is to beat some guy lower lvl than u at tennis and then u can say ur better, itll make u feel alot happier lol

J011yroger
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think what I really need is to have someone kick my ***** in a match. The league I joined simply isn't good enough, and I'm winning too easily every week. Hopefully having someone wipe the court with me will be like pouring gas on the fire.

2008 is 13 days away.

My goal is to be top 5 in Mens open, yours should be the same in 35s.

As soon as this cold weather stuff goes away I am gonna be bustin my tail every day, and you are gonna know where to find me.

Are you feeling better? We can play friday.

You have the kind of game where if you played 3 days a week and did your gym work, you would be Fing scary, especially in the 35s.

You are in tremendous shape, and that is a huge asset in age group play.

J

Ano
12-18-2007, 07:43 PM
So, if you are a 4.5 player now and you improve to 5.0, is that enough motivation?

If you are out of shape now, and get into shape playing tennis, is that enough motivation to keep playing?

Maybe tennis will keep the real world from driving you crazy? Or, would you let tennis also drive you crazy?

It doesn't matter if you are a 1.0 or Roger Federer, if you aren't having fun playing, then why play?

For me, I enjoy the people, the process, the physical outlet, and the emotional release of the game.

-Robert

If I am Roger Federer and I'm not having fun playing tennis, I would still play tennis, because by playing tennis I could make more than $ 20 million a year. :)

Having said that, I fully agree with your post, my friend.

flyer
12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I find when i lost motivation, It helps to eat a lot of red meat.
Hit the gym, do some martial arts.. Go cycling...
Watch films that I've missed out on.
Think about all the recent losses on the tennis court.
And then when you're done being physically tired and missing the game, you're ready to hit the courts again like a hydrogen bomb waiting to explode.

Wow man your user name really suits you, you really are a "HyperHorse"

CAM178
12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
What motivates me when coming back is that feeling when things start to click, and when strokes start to groove. For me, as with most all things in my life, it is about smiling. When I'm not smiling playing tennis, I walk away for a bit. I've taken plenty of time off, but overall I love the game too much to walk away for long.

CAM178
12-18-2007, 11:58 PM

This was my issue when I moved here. I played the highest rated player in the league, and beat him in less than an hour. But then. . . then I started cruising local TC's, and found where and who the ballers are. Now I just find guys to practice or play sets, and there are plenty of good guys out there.

As to J's comment, yeah, that's what I'm doing in '08. Busting my hump. I don't know TX well enough to have ranking goals. But I do want to get a National 35's ranking.

For me, my motivation comes from practice time (as stated in post above): if I've put the work in practicing, there's no reason why I shouldn't be successful at tournaments.

tzinc
12-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Motivation varies for people. For me the enjoyment of the game is enough. Whether I win or not or improve or not I just love playing tennis and that is enough.

In other people's cases moving up the rankings is motivation going from 4 to 4.5 to 5 etc. Winning tournaments is motivation, beating people, unbeaten streaks, moving up the ladder, trophies, or even just getting better at areas where you are weak (say 2nd serves or lobs etc).

HyperHorse
12-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh I got a few more tips...
Read really stupid threads/people that annoy the hell out of you..
Like.. for example, this one..
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=154450
Soon you'll be in a frightful psychopathic rage and be ready to destroy tennis balls!!!!
Oh and when i need a moment of calm...
I just think "Nicole Vaidisova" and everything is fine again.

AM28143
12-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Im really having a hard time getting motivated to get onto the treadmill these days, and its been way too long after losing 180+ pounds in a year! Im ready to just let her slide and get back to eating plenty of goodies! No need to motivate and torture day in and out!

Congratulations on losing 180 pounds in a year!!! I have the utmost respect for people able to turn their lives around for the good.

However, I’ll lose some respect if you go back to old habits. So, try hard, stay focused and more success will follow.

tbini87
12-19-2007, 11:08 PM
i haven't been playing long and am nowhere near losing my motivation to play. but having fun and improving are pretty much all i need as far as tennis goes. if i am not getting better i am not doing enough. so as long as i am seeing progress (no matter how small) then i am happy. however, without enough competition around you i can totally understand how you could lose motivation to get better and play well. i won't be having that problem anytime soon... but maybe someday (when i move far away from other people and can only play with my wife...)!

BackInTheGame
12-20-2007, 11:36 AM
2008 is 13 days away.

My goal is to be top 5 in Mens open, yours should be the same in 35s.

As soon as this cold weather stuff goes away I am gonna be bustin my tail every day, and you are gonna know where to find me.

Are you feeling better? We can play friday.

You have the kind of game where if you played 3 days a week and did your gym work, you would be Fing scary, especially in the 35s.

You are in tremendous shape, and that is a huge asset in age group play.

J

You know what, f--k it. I'll make a run at it. I mean, i'll never be top 5 in the 35's 'cause i won't be able to play enough tourneys and they're all on clay, but f--k it i'll make a run at it. I should be able to handle 3 days a week, and I'll get back in my garage and work out a bit too.

J011yroger
12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
35s only count your best 6 tourneys, like Open. If you can play one tourney every two months you will be in great shape.

J

J011yroger
12-20-2007, 02:40 PM
See you sunday morning, bring your hitting shoes.

J

chess9
12-20-2007, 02:48 PM
If I am Roger Federer and I'm not having fun playing tennis, I would still play tennis, because by playing tennis I could make more than $ 20 million a year. :)

Having said that, I fully agree with your post, my friend.

I bet when he stops he'll say "I've accomplished all my goals." He won't say I'm not having fun, but that's how that translates to me. He could stop at any time because he's worth a bazillion Swiss Francs and they are worth a lot more than dollars. <though I notice the dollar is on a mini-rebound the last few days>

-Robert

BackInTheGame
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I bet when he stops he'll say "I've accomplished all my goals." He won't say I'm not having fun, but that's how that translates to me. He could stop at any time because he's worth a bazillion Swiss Francs and they are worth a lot more than dollars. <though I notice the dollar is on a mini-rebound the last few days>

-Robert

Any rebound in the dollar will be very short lived. We're in for very bad times.