PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 Greg Rusedski Moments

Rabbit
12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. Well, I'd like to present this thread in honor of Greg Rusedski. My 5 greatest memories of Greggie are:

1. When he retired
2. When he lost the US Open final to Pat Rafter
3. When, after being informed that Rusedski said he just didn't have it any more, Pete Sampras said "Who?"
4. When he lost an epic 5-setter to Todd Martin at the US Open.
5. When he lost an epic 5-setter to Jim Courier in Davis Cup

iradical18
12-22-2007, 10:18 AM
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. Well, I'd like to present this thread in honor of Greg Rusedski. My 5 greatest memories of Greggie are:

1. When he retired
3. When, after being informed that Rusedski said he just didn't have it any more, Pete Sampras said "Who?"

I can't think of 5 moments that have to do with Greg Rusedski, so I just quoted your list. Enjoy!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I think when he retired, and when Vince Spadea broke his losing streak by beating him 9-7 at Wimbledon back in 2000 or 2001. But retiring did it for me :|

PatRafter
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
yea yea, His loss to my man, Patrick Rafter, was surely one memory but all in all, why pick Rusedski for a thread? how about a "Your Top 5 Favorite Goran Ivanisevic Moments"?

that said.
For Goran...
His 2001 Wimbledon victory was his greatest and most emotional moment.

Rabbit
12-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Don't tell anyone, but it's kinda tongue-in-cheek. There are not great moments for Rusedski...

Kevin T
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Great thread, Rabbit! Always a pleasure to rag on Gag. My list will be similar to your's.

1. When he retired.
2. When he became a Brit and ditched Canada (sorry Brits, but we needed to get him off our continent)
3. The fact that he was 1-9 against my man Goran Ivanisevic. He was also a combined 6-34 against America's best (1-9 Sampras, 2-9 Agassi, 0-4 Courier, 2-6 Chang, 1-6 Roddick). Let's hear it for the boys in blue!
4. His loss to Rafter in the US Open final
5. Losing to Courier in the Davis Cup (a very old and done Courier, I might add)

Ah, Gag, I haven't thought about you one day since you retired. Thank's for a good laugh, Rabbit. :)

laurie
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Great thread, Rabbit! Always a pleasure to rag on Gag. My list will be similar to your's.

1. When he retired.
2. When he became a Brit and ditched Canada (sorry Brits, but we needed to get him off our continent)
3. The fact that he was 1-9 against my man Goran Ivanisevic. He was also a combined 6-34 against America's best (1-9 Sampras, 2-9 Agassi, 0-4 Courier, 2-6 Chang, 1-6 Roddick). Let's hear it for the boys in blue!
4. His loss to Rafter in the US Open final
5. Losing to Courier in the Davis Cup (a very old and done Courier, I might add)

Ah, Gag, I haven't thought about you one day since you retired. Thank's for a good laugh, Rabbit. :)

Thanks a lot, we had to have him!

As a Sampras fan, I absolutely loved it when Sampras went on to win the Open and Rsusedski was absolutely ridiculed here in England for his comments about Sampras been a step and a half slow and that he would be very suprised if Sampras beat Haas.

How about:

When Greg cracked up against Roddick at 2003 Wimbledon and started effing and blinding over a bad call

When Greg got done by Jim Courier in the 5th set of the amazing 1999 Davis Cup encounter in Birmingham against the United States, for me that was the start of Greg always losing the 5th set in all of his future matches.

When Greg won his Davis Cup match this year and retired immediately - meaning, he wanted to go out with a win of any kind, we might have needed his help a few months later against Croatia, I didn't like the timing of his retirement, it seemed extremely selfish

When Greg fell out completely with Pat Cash in 1999 when Pat claimed he wasn't been paid to coach Greg and Greg said they never discussed money!

When he said he would beat Sampras before their match at 1995 Wimbledon

By the way, I don't hate Greg, but he did have many "blonde" moments.

BGB.CA
12-22-2007, 11:45 AM

1. When he retired

You got my favourite moment with number 3, as a Canadian and a Sampras fan I really can't have any love for the guy. I loe watching Pete's smirk in that interview everytime. :)

Bottle Rocket
12-22-2007, 11:54 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SAeZl-XHdIY&feature=related

FiveO
12-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Rabbit,

Thanks for the laugh. Happy Holidays.

Rabbit
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Same to all y'all.

I wasn't going to mention Greggie's defection, but that would probably be #7 on my list.

#6 is the way Greggie tried to start talking Brit when he moved there...

To a Wimbledon umpire, "Well done, well done" after a reversal went against him.

To the press, Greggie began adopting the word "Actually" to preface any answer he gave.

I'm reminded of that whenever W starts stammering in Spanish.

galain
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
How about that time when hit a topspin backhand?

GS
12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Back in 1995, in San Jose, I saw him hit the fastest serve of modern times then, 149 mph, against Chang. It sounded like a rifle shot. Later he said he wasn't surprised, since he strung his racquet alittle low.
A few years later, he was in the final against Agassi, and blew him away, thanks to Pat Cash who smoothed out his game. After he fired Cash, he went back to his hurky-jerky style.

AndrewD
12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
There are not great moments for Rusedski...

1. Winning $9 million in prize money
2. Beating Sampras in straight sets at the Paris Indoor
3. His wife
4. Beating every #1 over the last 16 years, apart from Courier and Rios, at least once. Federer once, Roddick once, Ferrero three times, Agassi twice, Hewitt three times, Kuerten four times, Safin three times, Sampras once, Rafter three times, Kafelnikov five times, Moya twice, Muster three times.
5. His wife.

jaggy
12-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Sober up dude, never happened.

Rabbit
12-23-2007, 05:52 AM

Sober up dude, never happened.

Point/Counterpoint

(Jaggy, you owe Galain a TY for the set up. And Galain, don't sober up...tis the season, mate!)

Rabbit
12-23-2007, 06:10 AM
1. Winning $9 million in prize money
2. Beating Sampras in straight sets at the Paris Indoor
3. His wife
4. Beating every #1 over the last 16 years, apart from Courier and Rios, at least once. Federer once, Roddick once, Ferrero three times, Agassi twice, Hewitt three times, Kuerten four times, Safin three times, Sampras once, Rafter three times, Kafelnikov five times, Moya twice, Muster three times.
5. His wife.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've found him......THE Rusedski fan.

Take a bow, AndrewD you deserve it. ;)

My responses:
1. Proof that there is too much money in tennis.

2. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then or 600 monkeys typing 600 years, one would eventually type a work by Shakespeare.

4. And as Paul Harvey says..now, for the rest of the story
1 - 6 vs Roddick
1 - 4 vs Federer
2 - 9 vs Agassi
3 - 4 vs Hewitt
3 - 0 vs Ferrero (they never met on clay)
4 - 1 vs Kuerten (they never met on clay)
3 - 3 vs Safin (OK, Safin's a total head case)
1 - 9 vs Sampras
3 - 7 vs Rafter
5 - 5 vs Kafelnikov (maybe he just had the Russian solution)
2 - 2 vs Moya
3 - 0 vs Muster (they never met on clay)

However when we look at guys who finished the year at #1 and weren't #1 in passing (by accident), the record changes:
1 - 9 Sampras
2 - 9 Agassi
1 - 6 Roddick
1 - 4 Federer
3 - 4 Hewitt

OK, OK, you got me on his wife. Babe-a-licious she is.

Kevin T
12-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, we've found him......THE Rusedski fan.

Take a bow, AndrewD you deserve it. ;)

My responses:
1. Proof that there is too much money in tennis.

2. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then or 600 monkeys typing 600 years, one would eventually type a work by Shakespeare.

4. And as Paul Harvey says..now, for the rest of the story
1 - 6 vs Roddick
1 - 4 vs Federer
2 - 9 vs Agassi
3 - 4 vs Hewitt
3 - 0 vs Ferrero (they never met on clay)
4 - 1 vs Kuerten (they never met on clay)
3 - 3 vs Safin (OK, Safin's a total head case)
1 - 9 vs Sampras
3 - 7 vs Rafter
5 - 5 vs Kafelnikov (maybe he just had the Russian solution)
2 - 2 vs Moya
3 - 0 vs Muster (they never met on clay)

However when we look at guys who finished the year at #1 and weren't #1 in passing (by accident), the record changes:
1 - 9 Sampras
2 - 9 Agassi
1 - 6 Roddick
1 - 4 Federer
3 - 4 Hewitt

OK, OK, you got me on his wife. Babe-a-licious she is.

Wait a minute...a Rusedski fan?! :( This is like the Discovery Channel special I watched last week about discovering new species in Madagascar. I really didn't know Rusedski fan existed. Maybe as legend, like the Yeti or Loch Ness Monster but here we have definitive proof. Amazing! Nice catch on the year end (um, TRUE) #1's and Gags. And I think we can attribute Andrew's #3 and #5 to #1=9 million in prize money, which as Rabbit so eloquently stated, really shows that there is too much money in pro tennis.

Kevin T
12-23-2007, 07:28 AM

Proove it Galain! :)

K. Wilson Moose
12-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Back in 1995, in San Jose, I saw him hit the fastest serve of modern times then, 149 mph, against Chang. It sounded like a rifle shot. Later he said he wasn't surprised, since he strung his racquet alittle low.
A few years later, he was in the final against Agassi, and blew him away, thanks to Pat Cash who smoothed out his game. After he fired Cash, he went back to his hurky-jerky style.

Gary, Cash may have smoothed out his game, but he obviously wasn't teaching him the forehand. I hope :).

GS
12-24-2007, 04:20 AM
If you'd like me to mail you a VHS copy of that Rusedski/Agassi match, you can decide for yourself.
(Nice to hear from ya, Moose.)

Leelord337
12-24-2007, 10:48 AM

1. When he retired

What about when he served 149mph? it was the fastest ever recorded serve before andy's serve.

rasajadad
12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
For me, it was when he "defected" to England.

Legend of Borg
12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Who's Greg Rusedski? lol Just kidding.;-)