PDA

View Full Version : 12 seconds that show why Ilie Nastase was my favorite player ever

Rabbit
12-22-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFn_oRq208U&NR=1

This is great, and with wood to boot.

lukarf
12-22-2007, 09:13 AM
WOW. Simply amazing? How was he able to do this?
Great catch!!

iradical18
12-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Holy crap, that was great.

vsbabolat
12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFn_oRq208U&NR=1

This is great, and with wood to boot.

What I think is so great about that shot is Nastase hit that with a wood racquet. If a Player today hit that shot in a Tournament today someone like Patrick McEnroe, Cliff Drysdale, or Chris Fowler woud say " you could not hit that shot with a wood racquet. You could only do that with new high tech Graphite racquets."

Polaris
12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Amazing. He hit that shot off an overhead!

jcstennis
12-22-2007, 12:31 PM
a full volley??!!! jeez!

Sixpointone
12-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Amazing! Thanks for sharing Rabbit.

Eric89
12-22-2007, 01:20 PM
What is the big deal? I do that like everyday, with my eyes closed.

nickb
12-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Amazing!...not many players could do that with a 300g racket!

Kevo
12-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think it's that amazing. Very nice shot and quick hands, but I've seen better from 65yr. old guys in our league. Sometimes you stick your racquet out and you hit something beautiful. It happens. If you play a lot, it happens more often.

The telling thing is that you only see someone even attempt such a thing when there just isn't any other good option. I bet if they kept track of misses on those types of attempts there would be a ton of them.

0d1n
12-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's that amazing. Very nice shot and quick hands, but I've seen better from 65yr. old guys in our league. Sometimes you stick your racquet out and you hit something beautiful. It happens. If you play a lot, it happens more often.

The telling thing is that you only see someone even attempt such a thing when there just isn't any other good option. I bet if they kept track of misses on those types of attempts there would be a ton of them.
a)Blah Blah...no you didn't.
b) So what, having even that ONE succeeded attempt is fantastic if not miraculous.

A.Davidson
12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Amen to that ^.

Rabbit
12-22-2007, 04:14 PM

Two replies to that:

1) that is the only one I've found on You Tube, but I've seen Nastase do things like that regularly, the last time was at Wimbledon LAST YEAR

2) Yeah, he missed more than he made, and Babe Ruth held the strike out record in baseball, what's your point? No guts, no glory.

tennisfa
12-22-2007, 04:31 PM
great shot...wrong section......

Kevo
12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Two replies to that:

1) that is the only one I've found on You Tube, but I've seen Nastase do things like that regularly, the last time was at Wimbledon LAST YEAR

2) Yeah, he missed more than he made, and Babe Ruth held the strike out record in baseball, what's your point? No guts, no glory.

First, I don't mean to take anything away from Nastase. I'm sure he'd whip me pretty good. My only point was that I see shots like that at least a couple of times a season from average Joe's. What's even more frustrating is I had a guy make two of those type of saves off overheads of mine in a doubles match. One where he wasn't even looking at the ball. He just spun around and stuck his racquet on it. Yeah it was pretty spectacular, but I'm not amazed by it. I would be if he intentionally hit it like that on a regular basis, but a shot in the dark here and there doesn't amaze me. This sort of thing seems to happen in doubles now and then. Just doesn't seem that rare to me. Just my 2 cents.

JackSkellington
12-22-2007, 06:12 PM

65 year olds don't take full overheads from other pro players with a shot like that.

Kevo
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
a)Blah Blah...no you didn't.
b) So what, having even that ONE succeeded attempt is fantastic if not miraculous.

a) I didn't see you there. Wave next time so I can say hi.

b) It may be fantastic. I know if I'd hit that shot I would certainly think it was fantastic. However, it's certainly no miracle. My doubles partner made a behind the back stab that went over like a drop shot the other day while we were practicing against each other. That's not the first one I've seen him hit either. I've seen him miss a lot of them too.

Kevo
12-22-2007, 06:20 PM
65 year olds don't take full overheads from other pro players with a shot like that.

I guess since the 65yr. old wasn't playing a pro that the overhead he hit back was a completely normal shot then. My bad.

Kaptain Karl
12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
If a Player today hit that shot in a Tournament today someone like Patrick McEnroe, Cliff Drysdale, or Chris Fowler woud say " you could not hit that shot with a wood racquet. You could only do that with new high tech Graphite racquets."Nah! You exaggerate.

Cliff and Patrick played with woodies. They've seen other players hit those types of shots. (Cliff probably got to be on the court with Nasty hitting those types of shots.) Nastase had great hands ... better than anyone's. He was one of the most gifted players ever.

- KK

SFrazeur
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I prefer the modern pace of Tennis for singles, but I love doubles at a nice medium pace. Thanks for sharing.

-SF

Nastase
12-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Cool thanks. My user name reveals my bias, and I have posted this comment before...but Nastase was the most talented player ever...."he just forgot to practice" was what one of his peers said about him. VJ Armitraj said he was the most talented ever. Over and over his peers agreed that when he wanted to play he was the best at the time. He gets a bit of a beating about being nasty, but truly he had a great sense of humor and 90% of his antics were making fun of himself or the game. Amazing hands, and lightning fast as well. I was watching TTC interview with V Wade recently and she was talking about tennis in the 70's and how popular it was, especially in the US... I sure do miss the personalities of the day Connors (jackass), Borg (ice man), Nastase (class clown), Vilas (poet)...While todays tennis is stunning, you dont see that kind of color in todays players. IMO.

757tennis
12-23-2007, 09:18 AM
pretty sweet shot

jaggy
12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Great shot but to be fair Bahrami does similar all the time.

suwanee4712
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I loved Illie Nastase too. He could do anything with the ball. It was always fun to see him play against Mac. You never knew what would happen. Imagine what a match between Illie and Mansour Bahrami would look like?

That clip reminds me of a shot that Illie's former mixed doubles partner, Hana Mandlikova, hit once. It was at 1985 Wimbledon against Liz Smylie. Liz served to Hana in the deuce court which Hana sent back a little high off her backhand. Hana anticipated that Liz would go cross court with the volley and raced back from the middle of the court towards her forehand side. But Liz saw this and hit the volley behind Hana, who then whipped her racquet around from behind and hit a perfect behind the back passing shot down Liz's backhand line. I've seen Illie, Mac, Hana, Martina, etc. hit behind the back volleys, but Hana's the only one that I ever saw hit a passing shot behind the back.

Kevo
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I've seen Illie, Mac, Hana, Martina, etc. hit behind the back volleys, but Hana's the only one that I ever saw hit a passing shot behind the back.

That would be something to see. Probably very hard to find a video though.

Legend of Borg
12-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Cool thanks. My user name reveals my bias, and I have posted this comment before...but Nastase was the most talented player ever...."he just forgot to practice" was what one of his peers said about him. VJ Armitraj said he was the most talented ever. Over and over his peers agreed that when he wanted to play he was the best at the time. He gets a bit of a beating about being nasty, but truly he had a great sense of humor and 90% of his antics were making fun of himself or the game. Amazing hands, and lightning fast as well. I was watching TTC interview with V Wade recently and she was talking about tennis in the 70's and how popular it was, especially in the US... I sure do miss the personalities of the day Connors (jackass), Borg (ice man), Nastase (class clown), Vilas (poet)...While todays tennis is stunning, you dont see that kind of color in todays players. IMO.

Yes. I miss the old personalitites as well. Old tennis playing style as well. Tennis wasn't always so powerful. In the older days, it was more about feel and touch rather than a powerful forehand. Times have really changed.