PDA

View Full Version : Question about Federer

ZhuangCorp
03-20-2004, 06:52 PM
I was watching his match, and i noticed something interesting.
When he talks to himself, he speaks in English.

Is this surprising/odd to anybody else? English obviously isn't his first language, so why does he speak in english on court " cmon".

chad shaver
03-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Maybe for the benefit of the English-speaking spectators.

Ariel
03-20-2004, 07:17 PM
That's an interesting one. At the AO he was shouting this Ale! The french expression for c'mon!.

kickingbird
03-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing- what is his first language? Maybe he only says allez when his opponents speak English, and he says c'mon everytime else? What language do they speak in Switzerland?

sseemiller
03-20-2004, 07:27 PM
His mother is from South Africa, and he said in inteviews this week that his first words were in English. And then he switched to German and kind of forgot English, and then went back to English. He has said he has an "ear" for languages, and I think it's true. In fact, check out his interviews this week, you will find them interesting. He does very fluent interviews in English, German and French.

But he's in the U.S., so he's likely using English here. :lol:

Grimjack
03-20-2004, 07:45 PM
I heard him 'allez' today. Didn't hear any English, but then, I wasn't really looking for it. Heard the 'allez' because it was pretty loud and it happened to be quiet here when it happened.

Anonymous
03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Feds shouts whatever will **** off his opponent the most. For Grosjean it's "allez!" for Ferrero it's "vamos!" tomorrow it will be a bunch of, "ah... bullocks!"

Nah... Feds is too good of a guy.

prince
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
mirka tells him what to do , so ask mirka .

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-20-2004, 11:32 PM
I heard him say something like "are you joking" after he shanked an easy backhand. He does seem to talk to himself a lot in english, more than any other language.

James Brown
03-21-2004, 05:22 AM
he usually speaks french and german. To pump himself up, theres always an Allez or two. When hes talking to himself and yelling at himself, its in german., I heard him when he was practicing at TMS canada :>

I was shocked too, it proves he wasnt concentrated yesterday. He had to yell a handful of COME ONs! to get himself into the match hehe. I laughed real hard when he hit an easy return long and he yelled out 'NO WAY'. Lol, he must be distracted. Look for tim to take him out in 2 sets. :<

Anonymous
03-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Kickingbird, they speak german in switzerland

dander
03-21-2004, 08:20 AM
switzerland is actually comprised of 3 regions, one each of german, french, and italian speakers
95 percent of swiss under 50 can speak all 3

Free_Martha
03-21-2004, 02:27 PM

I love how sly Roger has everyone convinced he's such a great guy.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Martha, mind explaining why you believe he isnt? Does he swear at other players on court? Does he hit balls at lines persons? Has he ever been defaulted from a tournament? Not that I've ever heard of.

yee
03-21-2004, 04:31 PM

I love how sly Roger has everyone convinced he's such a great guy.

funny. When they can't pick on his game, they turn to his character.

Nice try. Roger has always been honest and direct, never a suck-*** type which was obvious from all his interviews. How about try picking on his cow Juliette, Martha?

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Watching a replay of Fed vs. Pavel Davis Cup this year, and he's yelling allez at all times. What I think he does, is he comes to the US, and since he's always talking to the media and the normal people in english, he just gets in the habit of using only English. Then he goes back to europe and it's back to the european language of choice, French or German.

kickingbird
03-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Hey thanks for the info on the languages spoken in Switzerland. You saved me from the embarrassment of saying that they speak Switzerlandish.

jings
03-21-2004, 11:11 PM
I think Fed's racquet is doing all the talking at the moment.

juu
03-21-2004, 11:26 PM
switzerland is actually comprised of 3 regions, one each of german, french, and italian speakers
95 percent of swiss under 50 can speak all 3Well, and the German is actually Switzerdeutch (sp?) dialect, which sounds completely different from usual German. The writing is still in unual German, and I guess most people can switch over to usual German for the sake of talking to foreigners.

I'm also not sure on the 95% mark as I sure found lots of people in Geneva that didn't speak German or Italian. Then again - that is a very limited sample.