PDA

View Full Version : Played today, noticed a few of my flaws.

chrisab508
03-20-2004, 07:31 PM
So i was playing today and i noticed a few of my flaws, was wondering if maybe you guys could help me out a bit , maybe offer some advice on how to correct them.

1. I noticed that i hit my frame a lot on both forehand and backhand (2 handed) and this is even on an OS racquet.

2. I noticed that i hit the ball low into the net often, not an amazing number of times, but more than i'd like. I'm thinking that this is because i use in between a semi and a western grip and that right before i hit the ball my racquet isn't perpendicular to the floor (slightly slanted downward)

3. I have trouble with high balls. Not the ones that are really high and that I would slam, but ones that are a couple feet higher than a normal ball, like at head height, mabye a LITTLe higher. I noticed this mostly with my backhand.

Any help would be great!

Thanks a lot!

P.S. You guys really help me a lot to improve my game! thanks all of you! :D

chance
03-20-2004, 07:53 PM
1) Quiet your head. Next time intentionally focus on the racquet striking the ball and don't look up until your stroke is over or nearly so. Another trick to quiet the head and mind is to say (actually say out-loud), "Bounce. Hit." The former when the ball hits your side of the court and the latter as you strike the ball. (Also, it's easier to frame balls w/ racquets that have larger hoops especially when applying spins--but give that above a chance before you blame your stick.)
2) I see a lot of junior coaches string a line b/t extensions placed on the net posts 6 feet above the court, and have their students hit over this. You'll learn two things here. First, good things happen when the ball goes over the net (not into it); second, w/ time your shots from the baseline will have more depth (since your net clearance is much higher) You'll need topspin here to keep in the court. And you'll be hitting moonballs on instinct w/ practice (see below).
3) Nobody likes high backhands. You can attempt to neutralize this by stepping in to the court (moving to the ball, not vice-versa) and taking the ball on the rise. This takes timing, patience and practice, practice, practice. (Also regrading #2, as your balls find more depth, your foe will either have to hit on the rise or give up the baseline. If this latter happens, step in to the court to generate short(er) angles--think yo-yo w/ your opponent.

chrisab508
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
thanks for that advice ill try it out next time i play (prolly tomorrow) one other thing, what would i do to get heavy topspin on the ball, i would like to be able to hit the ball fairly high over the net and still drop in at a decent spot.

thanks.

P.S. i know the above takes a lot of practice! :D

Bungalo Bill
03-21-2004, 02:19 AM
That is excellent advice Chance.

It sounds dumb but I try and say HIT BOUNCE HIT on every stroke (except serves, volleys). It really really works to stay on the ball better. It also keeps me focused and have better anticipation.

The head is key to your swing path going a tad astray at the last minute. You could have too much or too fast upward brush when you frame the ball. concentrate on extending out to the target more. This will help keep the racquet head longer in line with the ball.

Practice going through the ball. In other words, practice keeping your racquet going in more a straighter line before cutting off and up. You can email me for specifics.

chrisab508
03-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys, any suggestions on the topspin?

Bungalo Bill
03-21-2004, 10:58 AM
The advantage of the twohander is you can really drop the racquet head and accelerate the wrists upward for more brush. The problem sometime is having too much brush. You can also switch your top hand grip to a more SW grip and this allows you to have more upward leverage during your forward motion. This strenghtens your chances for excellent topspin as you go up through the ball.

Remember topspin is created from a low to high swing with a square racquet face on impact. Since the ball stays on the strings only for a very short time, the speed or glancing blow the racquet face puts on the ball is what allows a player to put more oir less topspin on the ball. Racquet head speed and upward movment determines the amount of spin on the ball.