PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going in 2008?

LuckyR
12-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll be there the first week...

ChuDat
12-25-2007, 12:52 AM
are you talking about the AO? if you are then no I'm not. I hope to one day go to all the slams in one year.

westside
12-25-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm going to 4 night matches for the AO

LuckyR
12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
are you talking about the AO? if you are then no I'm not. I hope to one day go to all the slams in one year.

Nah, I'm talking Pacific Life (the fifth Slam)...

Fee
12-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Miami was the so called '5th Slam'. IW is just 'that effing hot desert tournament with all the old people.'

LuckyR
12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Miami was the so called '5th Slam'. IW is just 'that effing hot desert tournament with all the old people.'

Really? I didn't know Miami had a two week, five set format...

ChuDat
12-27-2007, 04:52 PM
i might be going to the SAP Open in San jose, Ca

Fee
12-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Really? I didn't know Miami had a two week, five set format...

Yes it did, well before IW. I think it also used to have a mixed doubles draw, back in the days when it was called 'The Lipton'.

all3ofus
01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I will be going to IW. Just not sure on what day.

redsoxrock930
01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
my friends dads company is a sponsor of it so we're gonna get to see the last weekend, gonna be awesome

Tennis-Chris
01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
This year I will be at Roland Garros. If I can swing it I want to go to Indian Wells too. Fee, what the anger over Indian Wells? It's a great tournament. :mrgreen:

Fee
01-03-2008, 12:01 AM
That wasn't anger, it was humor. I've been to IW many times, I actually like the tournament (except when it's effing hot).

Sandra, using your full name and email address on an internet discussion forum is not a good idea for many, many reasons. Perhaps the TW admins can change that for you. :)

Leelord337
01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
^^^ I won't be going this year to the AO but will be going to the men's claycourt championships here in houston. After watching Live tennis in person, watching it on TV is not as fun.

babolatking
01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
goin to wimby to cheer on my boy Tommy Haas!!!

Tennis_Bum
01-05-2008, 02:16 PM

All slams in one year! What a great thing to do! Man, I hope I can do that with my family too.

ChuDat
01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
All slams in one year! What a great thing to do! Man, I hope I can do that with my family too.

yeah. I'm hoping to go to all the slams with my friends. I'm trying to save up as much as I can, you know for Tickets, plane tickets, hotel, etc. I know It's going to be a big dent in my wallet but hey its something to look back on.

vndesu
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
wimbledon by the next 2 years im hoping haha

A.Davidson
01-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Sure would be cool to hit all four Slams in one year...Man, what a travel schedule!

wao
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I'll be at the US Open for the first week.

wao
01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I will be going to IW. Just not sure on what day.

As Fee noted below, not a good idea to use your full name and email address on a public forum. Send a note to the Admin to change your profile.

gocard
01-26-2008, 04:42 PM
A few friends and I are planning to go to IW this year. I posted a thread in the Travel section about a bunch of questions about getting to IW --

If we go on the first weekend, is it better to get grounds passes or the mini weekend kickoff package? My understanding is that the mini package gives you actual seats in the big courts, but do they act as grounds passes as well?

LuckyR
01-30-2008, 04:53 PM
A few friends and I are planning to go to IW this year. I posted a thread in the Travel section about a bunch of questions about getting to IW --

If we go on the first weekend, is it better to get grounds passes or the mini weekend kickoff package? My understanding is that the mini package gives you actual seats in the big courts, but do they act as grounds passes as well?

I'm going the first week as well, but I have never been before. My understanding is that the venue only sells seats in the 2 upper setions, so if you want better seats you'll need a different source.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Already received my 1st advertisement to buy tickets- and STILL have stubs from 3/16 on my desk.
Ground passes are really the way to go at $22.00 or so you can set on the ends, which I think are a better view anyway. During the first week the players are everywhere on the grounds- and there isn't really a "bad" match.One night there was a very thin tall black man in a hoodie looking on from a side gate just before a Monfils match- my son talked with him and the boy mentioned an accent- Next thing you know we are a row up watching him.

Read CRAIGL**T Palm Springs daily and you can pick up Main Stadium seats cheap- One guy left tickets in mailbox in exchange for dropping off a 12 pack on the porch.
A little old lady couldn't stay awake thru one night's activities- HEWETT and QUERRY 2 rows up FREE- Thanks again.

lude popper
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Stadium tickets in the first week are not super necessary -- and, stadium tickets that are not low in the lower bowl are doubly worthless. The matches involve high versus low seeds, and it's very often a blow-out. The "outer" courts, on the other hand, have great matches and you can sit super close. Additionally, the practice courts are filled in the first week, and it's fun to watch the super stars groove on practice exchanges: you get to watch worldclass mechanics close-up, in a truly rarified, focused context. This last IW, I watched Blake and Federer practice for over an hour. I was watching from a vantage point that was practically on the court. They played points. It was great. Meanwhile there was an 0 & 2 match going on inside the stadium which, though I had tickets for, I did not attend.

simi
06-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Stadium tickets in the first week are not super necessary -- and, stadium tickets that are not low in the lower bowl are doubly worthless...

Everyone who is contemplating attending IW should take lude's advice to heart. It is spot on and has been my experience also. Thanks lude, good synopsis.

LuckyR
07-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, yes and no.

The top seeded players all get a bye in the first round so to see top seeded players (not playing doubles, we saw Nadal playing doubles the very first match of the first day in Stadium court) playing matches, don't go during the first round.

The first couple of rounds in Stadium court are not all blowouts, ask Andy Roddick if you don't believe me.

Naturally if you want to see night tennis you are going to need Stadium seats.

No doubt you can get deals by picking up tickets from desperate folks. This works great especially if you live close and it isn't the end of the world if you strike out. But I need more certainty since I am coming in from out of town. And the parking pass with good seats is a nice perk too.

Hanging out watching practice is pretty cool I agree, but call me weird, but I like to see matches.

Mark Vessels
07-24-2008, 10:42 AM
deache maybe starace?

simi
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
...Naturally if you want to see night tennis you are going to need Stadium seats...

Not so. There are plenty of night matches on the outer courts. For sure, Stadium 2 and Stadium 3 have night matches, sometimes not finishing up until after Stadium 1 (the show court).

There are also matches on Courts 4, 5, and 6 in the evenings, but those usually wrap up before 2 and 3. Practice courts A, B, C, and D also have night activity on them.

Perhaps you mean that if you only go in the evenings, you need to purchase a Stadium seat, which allows one to attend any of the matches. However, if you were already there during the day session, you can remain on the grounds, attending the non-show court matches as long as you desire.

Those with a night pass cannot enter the grounds until 4:30. Those with a day pass can stay until the end, but cannot enter the Stadium 1 court after the day session matches are competed.

LuckyR
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Not so. There are plenty of night matches on the outer courts. For sure, Stadium 2 and Stadium 3 have night matches, sometimes not finishing up until after Stadium 1 (the show court).

There are also matches on Courts 4, 5, and 6 in the evenings, but those usually wrap up before 2 and 3. Practice courts A, B, C, and D also have night activity on them.

Perhaps you mean that if you only go in the evenings, you need to purchase a Stadium seat, which allows one to attend any of the matches. However, if you were already there during the day session, you can remain on the grounds, attending the non-show court matches as long as you desire.

Those with a night pass cannot enter the grounds until 4:30. Those with a day pass can stay until the end, but cannot enter the Stadium 1 court after the day session matches are competed.

You are correct, especially early going (ie when there are tons of matches going on) however less and less into the second week.

babolatisduhbomb
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
i may go to iw in 2009

rafaelnadalfan1234
08-31-2008, 09:55 AM
im not :cry: