PDA

View Full Version : Brad Gilbert's moment of glory.

edmondsm
12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Just thought I would create a thread about Gilbert's run at Cincy 1989. He won the title by going through 27 combined grand slam singles titles. Granted the players that I'm talking about here had only won a fraction of those titles at the time, I'm still impressed.

Draw: http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=422&tournamentyear=1989

rasajadad
12-27-2007, 06:28 AM
As I recall, he had a nice run at Stratton Mountain in '87. I think he made it into the semis before losinf to Lendl.

ps2dcgba
12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I read he hated Lendl ,considered him the Darth Vader of tennis at the time, 16-0 head to head lol

rasajadad
12-28-2007, 05:32 AM
While he may have called Lendl names, "Skunk-boy" was not exactly Luke Skywalker himself.

mctennis
12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Great recap. I like that you had the thread for that event. Looked like he beat some notable players. I remember being at that event but wasn't expecting Gilbert to win.

edmondsm
12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Great recap. I like that you had the thread for that event. Looked like he beat some notable players. I remember being at that event but wasn't expecting Gilbert to win.

So was there ever a time when Gilbert was expected to win big tournaments, even slams? Or was even this win at Cincy an overachievement?

CAM178
12-29-2007, 04:13 PM
No, Gilbert was never expected to win anything big. He was known as a grinder, and a strategist. He never had the raw skills that the best have. But, he still got to 4 in the world, if memory serves me correctly, so he was doing a few things right. But his game just didn't have what the greats had.

HyperHorse
12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
So was there ever a time when Gilbert was expected to win big tournaments, even slams? Or was even this win at Cincy an overachievement?

A contender for slams? Nope, never...
Didn't he win Key Biscayne in '91 though? Defeating Wheaton in the final..
Was just a handy player who unfortunately lacked the power that the top players had at the time...
Great tactician though...

CEvertFan
12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
'89 was by far Gilbert's best year. He wound up winning 5 titles that year.

35ft6
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Most surprising is his win over Chang. You'd think a mentally rock solid counterpuncher like Chang would be the kind that could never be rattled by a player like Gilbert.

joe sch
12-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Just thought I would create a thread about Gilbert's run at Cincy 1989. He won the title by going through 27 combined grand slam singles titles. Granted the players that I'm talking about here had only won a fraction of those titles at the time, I'm still impressed.

Draw: http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/vault/draws.asp?tournamentID=422&tournamentyear=1989

The 89 Cincy win was surely one of Brads greatest career achievements . Gilbert also was a finalist in the 1989 year end WCT final against McEnroe. 89 was a good year for Brad !

CAM178
12-31-2007, 08:01 AM
I think if you asked Brad what his moment of glory was, he'd say it was when Andre came back from 2 sets down to beat Medvedev in the FO final.

joe sch
12-31-2007, 09:03 AM
I think if you asked Brad what his moment of glory was, he'd say it was when Andre came back from 2 sets down to beat Medvedev in the FO final.

Another excellent point ... Very few top players have coached other players to grand slam wins ! Tony Roche has Roger Federer to thank, and visa-versa, for some historic slams. Connors would sure like to get one with Roddick. How many number #1 male players have coached a male player to a singles slam victory ?

35ft6
12-31-2007, 05:26 PM
^ I give Roche credit for Lendl's slams. Roger's? Not so much.

joe sch
12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
^ I give Roche credit for Lendl's slams. Roger's? Not so much.
I pretty much agree, he was Lendl's coach and consultant. He did give Roger probably too much advise and was not able to get Roger playing a more agressive allcourt game. Federer has not needed this advise yet but it may have been valuable in the coming years ?

Moose Malloy
01-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Just look at how Gilbert fared at the '89 USO, after the best summer of his career, to see how he coped with having any sort of expectations to do well at a major for the 1st time in his career. He made only 2 slam QF's in his very long career.

I have the '89 Cincy final on tape, I don't think I've ever seen Edberg in a worse mood(he was actually complaining fairly frequently about line calls)
And the weather was bad(rainy, windy, etc)

Most surprising is his win over Chang. You'd think a mentally rock solid counterpuncher like Chang would be the kind that could never be rattled by a player like Gilbert.

Chang was just a baby in '89 & had to cope with a being a name overnight after the FO win. He had some pretty bad losses that summer. Once he matured, he had no problem with Gilbert:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G016&playernum2=C274

robby c
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Gilbert gave Boris Becker fits. I remember a match indoors at the cow palace in Frisco. He had Becker so mad he was screaming in german. Nobody could blunt power like Gilbert. He blocked Boom Boom's serve low at his feet, and passed him time and again. Becker stubbornly refused to change his strategy. Great match.
Robby C

CAM178
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
^^^Gilbert did that to a lot of players. His game is so awkward and in-your-face that it must be a bit much. I think the only guys who liked playing him were Mac and Lendl. Both of them bageled him numerous times.

MariaS
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Gilbert gave Boris Becker fits. I remember a match indoors at the cow palace in Frisco. He had Becker so mad he was screaming in german. Nobody could blunt power like Gilbert. He blocked Boom Boom's serve low at his feet, and passed him time and again. Becker stubbornly refused to change his strategy. Great match.
Robby C

Becker wasn't the most agile of players if I remember right.

edmondsm
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Gibert was also in the 1990 Grand Slam Cup final. He lost to Sampras. It's the only clip I can find of Gilbert on youtube. I think they mention that it's the first time players were awarded a million dollars in prize money.

Jonny S&V
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Becker wasn't the most agile of players if I remember right.

Yeah he was, he had legs like tree trunks. I would say he wasn't exactly nimble, as he was 6'3". The only 6'3" and up tennis player that I can think of it Mecir, they didn't call him the "Big Cat" for nothing.

edmondsm
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
^^^Mirnyi, Karlovic, Isner, Querrey.

CAM178
01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
^^^Mirnyi, Karlovic, Isner, Querrey.
I think what he meant was that Becker and Mecir are the only players he can think of over 6'3" who could move well. I would hardly put Karlovic in the 'Moves Well' category! :)

And Becker moved extremely well. He was a frightening player, because he had a great ground and net game, a huge serve, and he did not mind diving or running after balls.

!Tym
01-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I think what he meant was that Becker and Mecir are the only players he can think of over 6'3" who could move well. I would hardly put Karlovic in the 'Moves Well' category! :)

And Becker moved extremely well. He was a frightening player, because he had a great ground and net game, a huge serve, and he did not mind diving or running after balls.

Actually, I didn't think Becker moved THAT well for a big guy. To me, he moved like a big lumbering guy with a bit of spring in his step and a willingness to sacrifice his body, but still not really that quick in terms of just pure foot speed and economy of footwork. Edberg was a hair under 6-3, but man now THAT guy was quick.

To me, Goran, Stich, Moya, and Guga were all significantly more agile than Becker for being around the same general height. The young Safin when he was razor thin was also very nimble for a tall guy.

I think with Becker his thing was that he had an imposing physical presence and aura about him, but world wide he would be no stud in a pure foot race among guys his size.

Krajicek was also a very good mover for his size, not so much laterally, but in terms of closing in to the net, he was one of the best.

35ft6
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Chang was just a baby in '89 & had to cope with a being a name overnight after the FO win. He had some pretty bad losses that summer. Once he matured, he had no problem with Gilbert:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G016&playernum2=C274Good point. I didn't consider how much younger Chang was than Gilbert.Gilbert gave Boris Becker fits. I remember a match indoors at the cow palace in Frisco. He had Becker so mad he was screaming in german. Nobody could blunt power like Gilbert. He blocked Boom Boom's serve low at his feet, and passed him time and again. Becker stubbornly refused to change his strategy. Great match.
Robby CIt's interesting to think that Gilbert might have been the kind of guy who could have really benefited from Gilbert's coaching. Gilbert has a knack for taking guys with arguably too much game and getting them to use their talents in a way that maximizes their strengths. Boris seemed like he played with a lot of ego, and had the power and talent to get away with it, but maybe he could have done even more if he was willing to win ugly rather than lose pretty.

edmondsm
01-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Oh, I get it.