PDA

View Full Version : Strange Stefan Edberg trivia

Legend of Borg
12-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I just found one very interesting and one very disturbing fact about Stefan Edberg on Wikipedia. I hope you find this interesting.

First one is: Stefan's service motion is used on the Australian Open logo. If you notice, the figure on it has the same pronouned knee bend and arm motion.

Second one is: Edberg was involved in a freak accident during the boys' singles final at the 1983 U.S. Open, when Richard Wertheim, a linesman, was struck in the groin by a ball struck by Edberg. Wertheim fell backwards, fracturing his skull, and died in hospital shortly thereafter.

Second one threw me off. Was Stefan really involved in this fatal accident? It could explain why he rarely smiles and usually keeps a serious outlook.

Christian78
12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes, it's true but he got past that a long time ago. His traits are quite typical of the poeple from that part of Sweden. They are friendly, often quiet, hard working, religious and most of all cheap. :)

I saw him at this years Swedish Open and he looked healty and happy.
Nowadays he's working in his own asset management company and he's worth around $100 millions. That's mabye why we don't see him play more often on the ledgends tour...

Legend of Borg
12-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, it's true but he got past that a long time ago. His traits are quite typical of the poeple from that part of Sweden. They are friendly, often quiet, hard working, religious and most of all cheap. :)

I saw him at this years Swedish Open and he looked healty and happy.
Nowadays he's working in his own asset management company and he's worth around $100 millions. That's mabye why we don't see him play more often on the ledgends tour...

Yeah, its a pity we don't see him face off against Courier, McEnroe, Ferreira, Pernfors and even Borg. By the way, that's some interesting piece of information there, about his asset managing company.

Christian78
12-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah, it's really a pity for us. And I find him even more entertaining to watch nowadays when he's more of an all courter.

But it's good for him, many atlethes don't find anything that excites them after their career has ended and ends up with drinking and drug problems.

spt
12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember the incident at the Open. Linesmen use to sit in director type chairs, when this linesman got hit, he fell out of the seat and fractured his skull. After that open, linesmen now stand behind the court.

danix
12-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Edberg's wife was originally Wilander's girlfriend. How's that for trivia? :)

jaggy
01-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that he plays squash competitively? Can anyone confirm this?

Christian78
01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, he plays more squash than tennis nowadays. A year or two ago, a player in his clubs team got sick, Edberg replaced him and played one match in the national leauge, witch he lost.

coolhandluke
01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
I think he was also playing Patrick McEnroe in that fatal accident match

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
He won a Grand slam as a junior.

Deuce
06-18-2008, 12:31 AM
While we're at it...

He also formed a very potent doubles team through most of the 80s with Anders Jarryd.

That was back in the good old days when the pros, the fans, and, most importantly, the ATP administration, actually cared about doubles.

scotus
06-18-2008, 01:13 AM

When paying individually for dinner, we should perhaps start saying, "Let's go Swedish."

Christian78
06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
When paying individually for dinner, we should perhaps start saying, "Let's go Swedish."

Smålandish rather. Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA, originate from the same
county. The 7th wealthiest man in the world only flies economy class...

scotus
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Smålandish rather. Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA, originate from the same
county. The 7th wealthiest man in the world only flies economy class...

I might add that I hate IKEA products with passion. Women love them because they look trendy, but their poor husbands have to spend hours assembling these cheaply made products that almost never last more than 3 years.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Even if that is true, who doesn't have sh-its in life? :)

Edberg&Becker
06-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Good one here