PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Mag Website Sampras Serve

jorel
01-02-2008, 05:45 AM
The site has a real nice article on the Sampras serve.... nice motion capture stuff... really cool, BUT they neglect to mention one thing in the analysis.... i dont care if you follow Sampras' form to perfection, you will still not be able to serve like him.... UNLESS.

you use HIS racquet... the reason he gets soo much "stuff" on his ball is due in large part to his racquet... small head and heavy as heck and most people could not, except Sampras, accelerate that racquet to the speeds that Sampras accelerates it... i dont think most of the top pros today could accelerate such a heavy racquet with such force. it matters very little if you use a heavy racquet and cant accelerate it, but combine them both and you have an impossible weapon

use a heavy, heavy racqeut with maximum acceleration and you would be impossible to beat
(too bad none of us are the Hulk)

Sampras is an anomaly which is why he is still the best ever.

jmsx521
01-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Yes, you're right.

I've noticed when people give tennis tips and instruction, often they don't base it on what type of racket the person uses... which really matters incredibly!

You can't be teaching an Agassi drive on the backhand side, if the person uses a K-factor 90. (Yes, I know Borg used a 2HBH if you're about to bring this up.)

The whole topic of tennis tips and instructions should've always been based on what racket you use as well.

jorel
01-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Yes, you're right.

I've noticed when people give tennis tips and instruction, often they don't base it on what type of racket the person uses... which really matters incredibly!

You can't be teaching an Agassi drive on the backhand side, if the person uses a K-factor 90. (Yes, I know Borg used a 2HBH if you're about to bring this up.)

The whole topic of tennis tips and instructions should've always been based on what racket you use as well.

good points... if Sampras used an Oversize racquet like Agassi... he prob wouldnt get the same "action" on the serve

Lindros13
01-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Great article I thought. Here's the link: http://tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/visuals/visuals.aspx?id=109012

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, you're right.

Not really and not as much as you think imo.. Technique is technique, if you have a crappy serve no racquet is going to help you. Same really true on all the other strokes, the right racquet for a player does make a difference, just not incredibly.. Technique is far more important.

Noveson
01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Not really and not as much as you think imo.. Technique is technique, if you have a crappy serve no racquet is going to help you. Same really true on all the other strokes, the right racquet for a player does make a difference, just not incredibly.. Technique is far more important.

:lol: I think you missed the sarcasm there. Might want to turn your meter on.:shock: