PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still using the Fischer MSpeed 105sq?

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 05:06 PM
If so, I'd like to hear how you're finding the performance and what string set-up you're using.

abrahavt
01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Gut(Mains-54) & Luxilon Alu Rough(Cross-51)

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
abrahavt,

Thanks very much, I didn't think I was going to get any response.

Can you elaborate a bit on the performance of the racquet and how it fits your game style and level?

I'm a 4.0 (rated 4.5 but that was pre-injury) who plays doubles 99.9% of the time (play one or two singles tournaments a year), strong on the backhand side, flashy but less reliable forehand, solid serve hit mainly with spin (in doubles I only ever serve at 3/4's pace), very strong net game and mainly a touch player. The Volkl t10mp Gen2 has been my favourite racquet of the last few years but I need something that gives me a bit more pop while still retaining good flex and feel. So, I thought the MSpeed 105sq might do the trick.

Alafter
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Andrew I thought it was you who was the only known user of Mspeed 105 on this board?

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Alafter,

Steve Huff was the only person I knew of, on this board, who was using the MSpeed 105sq. I put up a thread addressing him directly but haven't been able to catch his attention. I guess abrahavt might be the only other one.

You're an OS fan, have you hit with the Mspeed 105 ?

Alafter
01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah you are right. I c I c my mistake....is was steve.

Anyways, I have hit with my friend's the-new-no tolerance 105 which is like 295 grams only twice and for a brief time. He has it strung with pacific string brand Kevlar-Gut combo on the lower end of tension. I must honestly say I can't tell you much except for the fact that it had plenty of usable power.

On the other hand, my friend who is the owner of this thing is in his late 30's and is really an all court player. He hires coaches not to train him but to play against him competitively. All his strokes are textbook. Against us lower intermediate players, he has complete domination of the ball-for example, he make our short balls to his forehand/backhands go at extreme angles by using extreme topspin, he lobs accurately, he has depth control at all parts of the court etc...

That said, he likes the racquet. He has no complaint, except that he said next time he is gonna tighten it at least a few more pounds. Actually I also noticed that he was hitting consistently slightly long on every shot when he first got the racquet. He adjusted tho.

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Alafter,

Sounds like there's good power to the racquet, even in the lighter version. I was looking at both it and the Volkl V1. The V1 has a great reputation for playability and will certainly do the job for me, however, as a stiffer racquet it doesn't have the feel I would like.

lilminihorse
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I used the racquet and thought it was awesome.. I use a k factor 95 and found them similar, except the fischer has more power but much less forgivability..

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I used the racquet and thought it was awesome.. I use a k factor 95 and found them similar, except the fischer has more power but much less forgivability..

Really? You found the k95 to be similar to the MSpeed 105sq and you found the more flexible and larger MSpeed less forgiving?

Why was that?

Alafter
01-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Alafter,

Sounds like there's good power to the racquet, even in the lighter version. I was looking at both it and the Volkl V1. The V1 has a great reputation for playability and will certainly do the job for me, however, as a stiffer racquet it doesn't have the feel I would like.

One more point: he can tell flexy from stiff racuqtes. he said it is a flkexy feeling one.

lilminihorse
01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Really? You found the k95 to be similar to the MSpeed 105sq and you found the more flexible and larger MSpeed less forgiving?

Why was that?

I have no idea man, I'm not a racquet expert at all. I just found them similar feeling.

for some reason with the fischer I found that if I didn't hit it perfect I didn't like the results but when i "hit it between the screws" it really really really rewarded me. I'm not the best behind the base line as I like to S&V but i was hitting winners at will with it. BUT when my timing was only slightly off the shot just sucked

AndrewD
01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Alafter,

Thanks very much. As I'm sure you know, the Volkl t10mp Gen2 is a flexible racquet. I would like to retain that feel but add a bit more power. Tried with the 03 Tour MP but it lacked the feel I wanted, tried with the Diablo MP and it lacked the pop I needed (beautiful to hit with though). The POGOS would have been fine but I struggled with the swingeweight, balance and static weight combo.

I think it might be worth taking a chance on the MSpeed. If it doesn't pay off I'll just have to give up a bit more feel and look at something stiffer.

blubber
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm suprised that you thought the Diablo MP lacked pop.

I think the M Speed 105 is a decent stick. It has some weight to it and the swingweight is in the low 320s (this the heavy version). So it wasn't always easy for me to get around fast.

I think returns and groundstrokes are its strengths. It has a good sized sweetspot.

I had a hard time adjusting to the grip shape and the flex. I found my self slapping at the ball. I also noticed that I was gripping the handle too hard b/c it was so square. The overgripping and slapping lead to some wrist pain - not the frame's fault, my inability to adjust to it.

I didn't play it enough to offer any more of an opinion. Too bad Seteve isn't here to help you.

Alafter
01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Alafter,

Thanks very much. As I'm sure you know, the Volkl t10mp Gen2 is a flexible racquet. I would like to retain that feel but add a bit more power. Tried with the 03 Tour MP but it lacked the feel I wanted, tried with the Diablo MP and it lacked the pop I needed (beautiful to hit with though). The POGOS would have been fine but I struggled with the swingeweight, balance and static weight combo.

I think it might be worth taking a chance on the MSpeed. If it doesn't pay off I'll just have to give up a bit more feel and look at something stiffer.

Andrew,

Actually, to be honest, the only things I would know about Vokl Gen2 is the spec on paper since I'll probably never get the chance to hit with one. And I can't feel the flex of a racquet yet. Whenever I get a soft feel from a racquet, it could be either the racquet or strings or tension...I couldnt tell.

However, I have used both Diablo MP and POGOS in the past, and I didn't like them. I like the NBlade OS tho. Used it so much, I now even know the string and tension that I can live with without ever questioning my gears.

If you dont have anything against Wilson racquets and extended length racquets, you should give it a shot.

Databank
01-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm using the M-Speed now after using the Avery M5 for more than a year. I had a bad case of tennis elbow, but using the Avery allowed me to play while not aggravating the elbow. Time heals all, and the elbow is fine now. I liked the Avery, but the Fischer gives a little more pop and my elbow feels great. Was away from the game for 10 years and then started playing again with a stiff racquet. Sidebar: In the old days, a stiff racquet meant more control and a flexy racquet gave more power. Wow, things changed while I was gone!

I bought a 4 1/2 and added a heatshrink sleeve to make it 4 5/8; the static weight is 12.5 oz, but really no problem with the static or swing weight. I'm 54 (from the woodie age) and 4.0; mostly doubles. Use Legend or Armor Pro (whichever is available) in the mains and just about any nylon/synthetic/multi I have laying around in the crosses. Not good/sensitive enough to notice too much of difference in the crosses. As long as the elbow is happy, I am too.

Been stocking up on more 105's. At $99, the price is right. Have to start buying some grommet sets now too. Too bad the new M-Speeds don't have a 105. But I figure by the time I wreck all my old Fischers, I'll be ready for the really big OS racquets... or the old folks' home.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--G. Marx

Alafter
01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm using the M-Speed now after using the Avery M5 for more than a year. I had a bad case of tennis elbow, but using the Avery allowed me to play while not aggravating the elbow. Time heals all, and the elbow is fine now. I liked the Avery, but the Fischer gives a little more pop and my elbow feels great. Was away from the game for 10 years and then started playing again with a stiff racquet. Sidebar: In the old days, a stiff racquet meant more control and a flexy racquet gave more power. Wow, things changed while I was gone!

I bought a 4 1/2 and added a heatshrink sleeve to make it 4 5/8; the static weight is 12.5 oz, but really no problem with the static or swing weight. I'm 54 (from the woodie age) and 4.0; mostly doubles. Use Legend or Armor Pro (whichever is available) in the mains and just about any nylon/synthetic/multi I have laying around in the crosses. Not good/sensitive enough to notice too much of difference in the crosses. As long as the elbow is happy, I am too.

Been stocking up on more 105's. At $99, the price is right. Have to start buying some grommet sets now too. Too bad the new M-Speeds don't have a 105. But I figure by the time I wreck all my old Fischers, I'll be ready for the really big OS racquets... or the old folks' home.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--G. Marx

Sir,

My friend is playing me with his the new Mspeed 105 every sunday with its yellow green PJ distrscting me every week.

But then again there's probably not enough diff, just the PJ. All else equal to the Mspeed red green ones.

AndrewD
01-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Databank,

Thanks for the input. Alafter is correct, the 'No Tolerance' MPro does come in a 105sq version. He might be able to correct me on this but I believe it is only available in the 295g model.

How do you find the spin, control and power ?

PackardDell
01-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Databank,

Thanks for the input. Alafter is correct, the 'No Tolerance' MPro does come in a 105sq version. He might be able to correct me on this but I believe it is only available in the 295g model.

Yes there is an 105 sq inch version but it doesn't have the no-tolerance claim unfortunately. It is only available in 295 gram unstrung. See also their website.

Gimmick
01-04-2008, 07:27 AM
On the Fischer website the 105 is in the no-tolerance section. This would seem to indicate that it is a no-tolerance version as well?

PackardDell
01-04-2008, 07:42 AM
On the Fischer website the 105 is in the no-tolerance section. This would seem to indicate that it is a no-tolerance version as well?

That is correct but it is not listed in the FEATURES part.
It only says:
AC - AIRCARBON
MS - MAGNETIC SPEED

Databank
01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys, that's good to know. I had only looked on Tennis Warehouse. Hope TW will offer them. I still like the red/green combo better than the green/yellow scheme. But then, if I had my choice, I'd take a plain, flat black pj, with nothing else. Probably reflects my personality (or lack of)...

abrahavt
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I havent played with the Fischer in a couple of months. I injured my elbow playing with a stiff racquet and it hasnt healed completely. Strangely I can play with my PowerAngle and RDX500 without experiencing any pain but I experience a little discomfort when I play with the Fischer. As far as I remember it actually moves through the air pretty quick, has good power and a lot of spin. Also the sweetspot is quite big. The TW review was quite good. Here is the link. http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/FMSR/FMSRReview.html

AndrewD
01-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that. I've read the review but I do find the input from people who have played a racquet for some time to be far more valuable.

Still paging Steve Huff but he's a bit elusive. Other than him I'm guessing all MSpeed 105 users have had their say.

siata94
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
late to the game but I've been using the 105 SLs the last 4 months. Over the years, I've never had much luck w/ OS rackets so have always stuck w/ midsized racket. Got the 105s on a whim and have never put them down since. Thought I was very happy w/ the nCode95 and the C10Pro but the 105 was just so much easier for doubles. Occasionally when I play singles, I go back to the midsize as the 105 is too "flighty" for me. That may have something to do w/ the low tension that I'm using. Used to be 60-65 range but have been playing the "how low can you go" game w/ the tension the last year. Down to 50 and feel like I can go even lower, at least for doubles (relatively few baseline rallies).

ndtennis
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
i play with the 98, although i tested the 105 when i was testing rackets to switch, they were both very good, i just preferred the smaller head size.

PackardDell
03-13-2008, 03:35 AM
the 105 version is on TW for a couple of weeks

junboo
03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
I just saw this thread and figured I'd drop my $.02. I was using the M-Speed 105, along with the 98 pretty regularly up until recently. I found both rackets to be very "soft", in a good way. the 105 had a bit more zing, as you'd expect, but still very controllable -- Not your typical OS racket. I have the 105 strung with Pro Supex Big Ace 18 at 54lbs, which is great.

I've since sold my 98's and am now deciding between the MGPP or K6.1 95, however I still keep a pair of the 105s for when I want that cushy Fischer feel. :)