PDA

View Full Version : quick question regarding stiffness in relation to feel

tennis_nerd22
01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey im just wondering, hopefully someone can help me out..

If you have a stiff frame (ie. 65+), is it possible to still have a "plush" and soft feel? Or does soft feel = low stiffness rating, with no exceptions?

And, if there are any examples of soft feeling, stiff frames, can you please name them?

thanks a lot

Midlife crisis
01-03-2008, 07:50 PM

If you have a stiff frame (ie. 65+), is it possible to still have a "plush" and soft feel? Or does soft feel = low stiffness rating, with no exceptions?

And, if there are any examples of soft feeling, stiff frames, can you please name them?

thanks a lot

Static stiffness does not always determine how a racquet feels in play. One way to make a very stiff racquet play more softly is to put a lot of weight in the handle. This pulls the center of mass towards the handle and increases the distance from the point of rotation to the stringbed. So, when you hit a ball and the racquet rotates backwards because of the impact, a heavily handle-weighted racquet's stringbed will deflect away from the contact point more, just as a more flexible racquet deflects more away from the contact point.

For lack of a better term, this can be called the "dynamic" stiffness of the racquet, which results from a combination of the distribution of mass of the racquet and its intrinsic static stiffness. It can result in a significant change to the playing characteristics of a racquet, and my 78 stiffness racquet strung with poly at 66 pounds plays about as softly as an old school racquet.

racquet_jedi
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
^^And that racquet is?

Tennis-Chris
01-03-2008, 07:57 PM

thanks a lot

I play with the nCode 6.1 Tour 90 (stiffness of 67) and it has incredible feel and control. I feel like I can place the ball wherever I want and the touch is very nice. Good luck in your search. :mrgreen:

CAM178
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Keep in mind that feel and touch have a great deal more to do with the strings and tension than with the frame. I've had a frame that I thought was awful until I changed the strings and tension, and it was like a new stick.

Tennis-Chris
01-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Keep in mind that feel and touch have a great deal more to do with the strings and tension than with the frame. I've had a frame that I thought was awful until I changed the strings and tension, and it was like a new stick.

Good point. I play with natural gut and the strings have a significant impact on feel.

Midlife crisis
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
^^And that racquet is?

Prince Thunder Rip. 115 sq. in. Now weighs 355 grams with a swingweight of about 370. Eight grams of lead total at 3 and 9 o'clock. Four grams of lead total at 4 and 8 o'clock. 16 grams of lead on the inside and outside of the throat. About 50 grams of lead wire glued to the inside of the handle just above the butt cap.

Alafter
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Prince Thunder Rip. 115 sq. in. Now weighs 355 grams with a swingweight of about 370. Eight grams of lead total at 3 and 9 o'clock. Four grams of lead total at 4 and 8 o'clock. 16 grams of lead on the inside and outside of the throat. About 50 grams of lead wire glued to the inside of the handle just above the butt cap.

PRINCE THUNDERBUFF RIP your opponents APART.

tennis_nerd22
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
thanks everyone for the information, especially midlife. my rds 001 (mp) feels like a board right now cuz its stiffness is 69 and i have it strung with full poly.. :lol:

but it still has a unique kinda feel

Midlife crisis
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
thanks everyone for the information, especially midlife. my rds 001 (mp) feels like a board right now cuz its stiffness is 69 and i have it strung with full poly.. :lol:

but it still has a unique kinda feel

My son uses the PDR+, which I think is an RDC stiffness of 71, and it has a ball response almost identical to my racquet. He uses a full poly stringjob (SPPP Pure) at 46 pounds, and has about five grams total added at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. It weighs about 346 grams and is five points headlight, but still has a plush, pocketing feel.

So there are a couple of ways to get rid off the boardiness. One is to add weight to the bottom of the handle as I've done, which will decrease power as well, and the second is to string poly at much lower tensions, like my son has done. These also allow you to alter the stiffness of the racquet and manipulate the power level as well. My son's PDR+ is noticeably more powerful than my racquet, even though my racquet is OS and is a granny stick.

If changing these two gives you a feel you like but the ball trajectory is too high, then you can alter it a little bit with choice of string. As a for-instance, SPPP or P2 give a higher ball trajectory than Red Code.

If that still isn't enough, then it's probably time to look at a different racquet.

Good luck with it. It's fun to tinker.

fuzz nation
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
My old Prostaff 6.1 Classics are stiff bats, but they never felt especially harsh to me, even with their tight syn gut strings, like other stiffer frames. I think that a large contributor to their feel is their weight because the ball doesn't push them around as much as a lighter frame, but I think that the issue of balance that Midlife mentioned makes a lot of sense. Those Prostaffs were spec'd at 10 points headlight strung in stock form and nowadays that degree of headlight layout is rather rare.

goosala
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
In my experience the overall weight is a big factor in how a frame feels. If the frame is stiff but heavy then it will less likely hurt your arm. Examples: Pro Staff 85, Classic 6.1 95, Yamaha Secret 04. Those frames are stiff but heavy so there is little shock when you hit the ball and your arm recoils from the force of impact. Frames now are stiff and way too light to offset the shock especially if you are a hard hitter. I don't think I would have much tennis left in my elbow if I used a Babolat Pure Drive Standard or Zylon. A lot of folks here have complained about arm pain from those frames. Some others have mentioned that Dunlop frames are too stiff and hurt their arms. The best thing to do is to demo as many frames that you have time and money to do.

fujitsu77
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I found the K90 to have a pretty plush feel, also the RDS 001 and the n90

CAM178
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Fujitsu: what level are you? I ask because I am interested in 2 of the 3 frames you mentioned above. . . the K90 and 001. I wanted to get your take, depending on your level. That probably comes off wrong, but it will have an impact on what you say.

fujitsu77
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Fujitsu: what level are you? I ask because I am interested in 2 of the 3 frames you mentioned above. . . the K90 and 001. I wanted to get your take, depending on your level. That probably comes off wrong, but it will have an impact on what you say.

I'm a 5.0 aggressive baseliner / all courter