PDA

View Full Version : more power

niwre23
01-04-2008, 07:43 AM
hello to everyone, my question is about improving power, i have a head radical flexpoint mid+, how can i have more power with this racquet? or maybe i must change frame? if for you i must change frame what ? more Head...
thanks to everyone im sorry for my english.....

McLovin
01-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I think the easiest way is to drop the string tension a few pounds, but you may lose control if you go too loose. You could also try a livelier string.

Personally, I don't like to customize rackets as I feel if I'm paying $150+ for a racket, I shouldn't have to do anything special to it. There are more than enough options out there where something should work for me 'out of the box'. But that's just me.

vndesu
01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
add lead tape to head to make it head heavy.

wao
01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Try lead tape at 3&9 and to the handle. Look at the type of string and tension. Try a softer string and drop the tension by a couple of lbs.

I would do this prior to spending the $$ on a new stick. In the Head line if you went that way there is the Prestige Pro or Prestige both heaver than the Rad's. Then the Microgel extreme and Pro both wider beam and stiffer frames. Babalot you have the Control and the Pure Drives. Not really sure on the other ones out there. These are the ones I have hit with.
Wayne

Vision84
01-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Putting in a poly string would be a great way to increase your power.

meowmix
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't bother getting a new racket until you've exhausted all possibilities.

What string do you use right now? If you're using a poly/nylon string, I'd recomment switching to a lively multifillament. I'd also recommend switching string gauges. You probably want to try a 17g string. You might want to try something along the lines of TNT 17. You also want to string looser. I wouldn't go below 55 pounds, but dropping a few pounds of tension should help.

In addition, you may want to add lead at the 12 o'clock position. That way, you will increase the swingweight drastically with a little bit of tape, creating more of a plow through.

niwre23
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
thanks to all, if is possibile i not would change frame, i came from prestige mid because i have a problem on my elbow, now i have on my racquet a X-Tennis Touch multifilament 1.35 at 22 kg.. what type of string do you think that i can put on?

[d]ragon
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
drop your tension abit

meowmix
01-04-2008, 01:29 PM
HOLY! You're stringing at 48 pounds?! With a multifilament? I don't know what to tell you. If you're not getting enough power off of that, changing strings and tension isn't going help.

I'd recomment adding weight. Add about 8 grams at the 12 oclock and counterbalance that with about 12 grams in the throat. That'll add some weight and give you a bit more plow through. I don't think this will help, but might want to INCREASE string tension to about 26 or 27 kgs and switch to Gamma TNT 17. That'll completely change the way the racket plays, but hopefully it'll help you.

Ten_is
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
weight in the head, drop tension; look at your overall racket weight.
But.,.. I would personally focus on technique after or before that for more power. Coil your body in the most effective way then uncoil on shots if you want alot of power besides using methods to your racket.

drakulie
01-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Dropping string tension to increase power is a bit of a myth.

For example, dropping from 60- to 50 lbs only increases power by about 1 mph. It is impossible for a human being to even detect this.

Some studies have shown that lower string tension doesn't even increase power at all.

One thing you will lose dropping tension is control, so the pay off is not worth it.

Gimmick
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
thanks to all, if is possibile i not would change frame, i came from prestige mid because i have a problem on my elbow, now i have on my racquet a X-Tennis Touch multifilament 1.35 at 22 kg.. what type of string do you think that i can put on?

1.35 is some seriously thick string. Try something down in the 1.2 to 1.25 range. Natural Gut would also be a great choice for increasing power without loosing control.

D. Dokas
01-04-2008, 03:11 PM
48 pounds and ur not getting enough power? try putting luxilon alu power in it.
have u thought that it might be ur technique? maybe ur not centering the ball. dont change racquets just yet see how u go and if ur still having trouble then look into a pure drive or something with a stiff(solid) frame

Gimmick
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Please stop suggesting poly as a way to develope more power than multi. The most powerful polys are only equivalent to what he is currently using. The USRSA has handy ratings that can be used for informational purposes.

Zachol82
01-04-2008, 05:22 PM
hello to everyone, my question is about improving power, i have a head radical flexpoint mid+, how can i have more power with this racquet? or maybe i must change frame? if for you i must change frame what ? more Head...
thanks to everyone im sorry for my english.....

Maybe try to change your strokes first. Good timing = more power. Longer swings = more power. Faster racquet head speed = more power.