PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Head Adding 16x19 Pattern to Prestige Lineup?

Matt21
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
This seems like a shift in their players line of racquets. I thought all the Prestiges and Radicals to date had 18 mains. Are they trying to steal market share from Wilson and Yonex by offering a 16 main frame?

JW10S
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
It is a response to the increasing number of players using polyester strings.

samster
01-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Why not? The specs on the Prestige Pro look delicious. :)

sargeinaz
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Why not? The specs on the Prestige Pro look delicious. :)

I just hit with the MidPlus and the Pro today and I think they are both great rackets. The Pro has very good spin potential and solid is the word I would use to describe these sticks. They hit very nice and pretty comfortable and in my opinion had some nice pop for players sticks. I felt the Pro had a little more pop, I assume due to the open pattern and the stock string that Head uses seems to work better with the Pro. I would love to try the MidPlus with some 17 or 18 gauge string at a lower tension and see how it plays. The Pro felt heavier to me, especially over a couple hours of playing. Overall I was extremely impressed with them and depending on if I can get a discount I will be picking one of them up in the near future. They are also better looking in real life if that matters to anyone.
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

samster
01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I will definitely need to try the Prestige Pro when it comes out.

In D Zone
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Finally.... I would be interested to try one - open pattern Prestige

johnv_pr
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Very confusing to me. I recently switched back to a prestige Mid after giving up on open string patterns. Now Head comes out with the prestige in an open string pattern. :-|

jazar
01-05-2008, 02:52 AM
everyone is copying everyone else with regards to head size and string patterns now, so its not really that suprising

Automatix
01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
If I got a cent when I heard "If only the Prestige had an open pattern" I would be rich!

Check out topics about the Prestiges, there were lot's of responses that the Prestige line is great but since most players use more tosping nowadays it would be great if there was a Prestige with an open string pattern...

Richie Rich
01-05-2008, 05:34 AM
everyone is copying everyone else with regards to head size and string patterns now, so its not really that suprising

no kidding - prince came out with an 18x19 pattern - same as the head instinct

Matt21
01-05-2008, 05:49 AM

Really. Just like Wilson going to an 18x20. Personally, from a defensive standpoint, I'd rather defend against an open string pattern than a closed. The spin is a little bit easier to read coming off an open string pattern.

[K]aotic
01-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Really. Just like Wilson going to an 18x20. Personally, from a defensive standpoint, I'd rather defend against an open string pattern than a closed. The spin is a little bit easier to read coming off an open string pattern.

spin is easy to read based on the way the person swings :shock:

Blade0324
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Well I have been playing with the MG Prestige Pro for about 3 months now and this is absolutely my new stick. I am selling off my PC600 and Prestige Tour (already sold) and have no intention of going back. For me personally and my game this is a much better stick. It's just slightly lighter and the open pattern is perfect.

Matt21
01-05-2008, 09:40 AM
That too, but I was more referring to the predictability of where the ball is going to "dive" after reaching it's apex. It seems to me 16x19 and 16x18 patterns "arc" more on topspin shots and "float" a little more on slices than do shots coming off racquets that are 18x19 or 18x20. I've seen the bottom fall out of topspin and slice shots coming from the latter two string patterns, more so than the former two.

RestockingTues
01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
That too, but I was more referring to the predictability of where the ball is going to "dive" after reaching it's apex. It seems to me 16x19 and 16x18 patterns "arc" more on topspin shots and "float" a little more on slices than do shots coming off racquets that are 18x19 or 18x20. I've seen the bottom fall out of topspin and slice shots coming from the latter two string patterns, more so than the former two.

Doesn't that just mean that open pattern frames generate more spin?

PBODY99
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Head produced a 16 main PRO called the Graphite, which predates the Prestige,sharing the same head size and shape.

The why is simply basic smart marketing. Companies want to lose a profitable group of customers by not having the product that they want.

Gimmick
01-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Companies want to lose a profitable group of customers by not having the product that they want.

That's how they stay in buisness?

tennis_hand
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM

true. look at Wilson Kblade rackets. definitely trying to compete with Head rackets.