PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: String Patterns

Matt21
01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I want to hear opinions of experienced players. Which string pattern provides the most flexibility/balance for a complete game (topspin, flat hitting, slice and serves)?

In D Zone
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
It all depends on you.... your game, grip types, hitting stance and skill level. Some like to play with dense pattern then others like open.

Then you must consider the string type and tension applied to the racquet.

I would suggest you demo a couple of racquet to see how to like it.

Matt21
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
The problem with demos is that they're rarely strung at the tension you like. I've heard that if you want good spin out of an 18x20, you generally have to string it lower, but I've never demo'd a racquet that wasn't strung near the top of the rec tension, or at midpoint.

I asked because I'm giving up on the RDS002 Tour (which has an open 16x19 pattern) due to shoulder pain (I guess related to stiffness because I generally string that frame in the low 50's using a soft multi). I'm thinking long and hard about the Dunlop AG200 but was concerned with the denser pattern.

racquet_jedi
01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I had a Hyper Hammer 5.3 OS, with a grip size one too small, for a while and I didn't have arm problems until about 9 months later, with 1-3 months before that, I had it strung with a full polyjob at 58 lbs...

^^For you, it could also be the weight of the racquet as well (depending on age and level of fitness/technique) or it could just simply be the stiffness after all...

Chauvalito
01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
The problem with demos is that they're rarely strung at the tension you like. I've heard that if you want good spin out of an 18x20, you generally have to string it lower, but I've never demo'd a racquet that wasn't strung near the top of the rec tension, or at midpoint.

I asked because I'm giving up on the RDS002 Tour (which has an open 16x19 pattern) due to shoulder pain (I guess related to stiffness because I generally string that frame in the low 50's using a soft multi). I'm thinking long and hard about the Dunlop AG200 but was concerned with the denser pattern.

In some cases you may need to go against the normal conventions for string patterns. For example, many people state that 18x20 patterns provide less spin than more open patterns, this leads many to suggest 18x20 rackets for flat hitters.

in some cases however, deriving less spin from a stroke might be an advantage, for example, for player who spin the ball "too much" with their natural stroke. I think this explains the fact that many many pro's play with dense string patterns.

I am an example of this, when playing with open string patterns I tend to produce shots which are loopy and do not penetrate the court. since switching to dense string patterns my shots are much more linear, and when i need more spin I just adjust my stroke somewhat. With dense patterns i also get the added benefit of a stable consistent string bed, lots of control, and extended string life.

soyizgood
01-04-2008, 09:32 PM
All of my racquets are open pattern. And even then I get various results from my racquets. So there's more to it than just the string pattern.

Some racquets are designed for fast, long swings. Those racquets can hurt your shoulder and/or arm as you have to generate your own power (especially if they are very head light racquets). In the process, it's easy to overextend yourself if you are in a hurry to swing. I use the Dunlop m-Fil 200 Plus and I hurt my shoulder using it recently.

I also have racquets that are designed for short and medium length strokes. I have a Dunlop Super Revelation 95 that's better suited for this situation. At first I hated this racquet because I couldn't hit accurate swinging long. But now I'm using it for what it's designed to do and now I love the racquet.

Your grip kind of dictates how flexible you can be with your strokes. The more extreme you go (semi-western, western), the sooner you need to make contact with the ball, which also means the more open your stance is going to be.

The type of style you want to play (flat-balling, topspin crazy, serve and volley, all-court, counter-puncher, etc.) also will play a role.

My preference is for open pattern as it's easier to generate spin and because the ball brushes the string more, I can lift the ball above the net when making approach shots. You can do the same thing with a dense pattern racquet, but you may have to do a bit more work. Dense pattern seems to work better with flat strokes and slices.

Not all racquets are created equal, so be prepared to buy and demo different ones until you find the right one. Just like dating, except racquets are easier to find, use, abuse, dump, and dispose. ;)

nickb
01-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I like 16x20...best of both worlds.

Tempest344
01-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I like 18 X 20 string patterns
I use a LM Radical MP

I like playing with a fair amount of topspin though
but hey it works for me

vndesu
01-05-2008, 03:20 AM
16x19 cant go wrong.

soyizgood
01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
16x19 cant go wrong.

Great avatar you got. :-) My Dunlop 16x19s are the m-Fil 200 Plus, Quadro 102, and Super Revelation 95.