PDA

View Full Version : In love with Macgregor

typicalexbf
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Before I got into tennis there was a lot of talk about what players *should* use, rather than what they feel comfortable with. The subject has been beaten to death and usually has no end

I however just ignore everyone heh, which is how I ended up with (what seems to be) the now defunct MacGregor Challenger Graphite Tennis Racket. NOT the lighter 'pro' version, but the heavier 12 ounce in all its glory

This graphite composite racket is perfect for more advanced recreational players. Constructed with 60% graphite, 15% boron, and 5% fiberglass and featuring a mid-size 90 sq. inch head, 4-3/8" synthetic grip, and aerodynamic design. Weighs only 12 ounces with strings.

This sounds insane to a lot of people but let me describe my experience with this lush masterpiece:

*The design, although not my favorite, has a nice finishing style. It doesn't come off looking cheap, flashy, or like any type of a gimmick racket.

*There is NO recoil. I owned a Wilson that was about 10 ounces, and that bad boy sang like Luciano Pavarotti

The strings can stand to be changed to better, but I have not tried yet due to inexperience in what good strings to use. I will experiment soon

*Pricewise I was blown away, I own 3 and that still didn't equal 1 of my old Wilson rackets-that's flat out ridiculous

*If I hit a ball (this may be just my confidence going up?) it seems that 9 out of 10 times it is going over the net-I rarely hit into the net even when off balance

Of course this is my own personal preference, I don't think anyone in tennis, even recreational uses this racquet

*Which gives it an extra point for making me unique :)

Are there any other 12+ ounce racquets out there? I have searched and can't seem to find any. I want one like this, that I don't have to modify in any way to get that extra weight

racquet_jedi
01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
If you already have 3 of these frames, are you just looking to collect other frames? Because these frames seem to be working wonders for you, I don't see why you might want others, other than the sheer want of them, the want of collecting, and the want of unique frames...

typicalexbf
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Curiosity to the fullest extent, just because something works wonderful doesn't mean there is something better out there to use. I just want to keep it within the same powerful 12+ ounce limit. Which is nearly impossible to find, well recent models like this that is.

I would love to find one by a company like Head, or Wilson. That would be awesome

Klatu Verata Necktie
01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
If you're looking for 12+ oz. mids, the following are currently available. If you don't mind larger head sizes, you have even more to choose from.

Wilson
- K90

Head
- Prestige

Volkl
- DNX 10

hawaiirgv
01-05-2008, 04:20 AM
The original prince graphite's might be worth looking at as well. They have a 93 sq in model and is just a great racquet to hit with...

typicalexbf
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Thank you so much! I thought it was a lost cause when I even tried Europeon sites and couldn't find any. I'm checking them all out now