PDA

View Full Version : when choosing a Radical over a Prestige MP

PackardDell
01-05-2008, 10:13 AM
A significant difference between the Radical and the Prestige MP is the 25 gram extra weight in the handle which results in a higher static weight for the Prestige and another balance.

My question is: When is it best to pick a Radical and when the Prestige MP?

iradical18
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Demo them and see which one feels right for you, if I was a better player then I would definitely play with a Prestige as it is my favorite players racquet. But I demoed them and took some time and realized that a Radical (OS) was better suited to my game, the Prestige was just too low powered for me.

fuzz nation
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
I could offer the cop out answer and tell you to go for the one that you play more comfortably, but hey, that might sound snooty, right?

If you know the static weight and/or balance that you're especially comfortable with now, I'd expect the frame that is in the neighborhood of that to be a more familiar player for you. Some baseliners like moderate weight and somewhat even balance in a racquet, while all court players often like frames that are a bit heavy and also headlight for better handling up at the net.

This is really a subjective issue though, just because the numbers on the spec sheet don't tell you how the frame feels for you when you whack a ball with it. If I know what numbers I'm used to, I can at least predict how it will probably handle for me, so that's a start. Balance can be tuned without much effort, so if you know your range of what's not too light or too heavy for you to play with, you can narrow things down.

PackardDell
01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
With the Radical easier spin to balls than with the Prestige?

fuzz nation
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
My experience with these frames goes back to the Liquidmetal generation, so I don't think I can help on the newer ones. As far as the new Microgel group is concerned, I've already heard a lot about the noticeable flex in this Radical compared to previous versions and I'd expect that to contribute heavily toward spin production with this frame despite its dense string pattern.

There's pleny of feedback to read on the Flexpoint series and I can say that I've tried that Flexpoint Radical Tour. It was one of the biggest spin factories I've ever tried - almost made a couple of balls go back in time! I'm an all court player though, and I got a lot better results with this one from the baseline than when volleying up at net or serving.

PackardDell
01-05-2008, 02:44 PM
is the prestige MP more difficult than the Radical?

Zachol82
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
If you want an "I win!" button, go for the Prestige. J/K

The Prestige is a bit lower in power in my opinion; it has a bit more control for me than the Radical. I also like the feel of the Prestige more.

fujitsu77
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Prestige has a bit less power, bit more control (though both sticks have got great control)

The biggest difference between the two is the weight, and if you can handle a heavier stick, I say go with the prestige.

With a bit of lead, the prestige is a great racquet.

0d1n
01-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I love it when people talk about "the Prestige" or "the Radical". It's almost as bad as talking about "the Head racket"...[-What racquet did you buy John??... - Oh ...it's a Head (doh)].
There were MANY iterations of each model and every iteration was DIFFERENT ! There is no correct way to generalize when talking about those sticks except for the specs (weight) which are (is) available already and it's not really up for discussion. Is it just me ???:confused: