PDA

View Full Version : ****Head Demo Day In Atlanta****

thejuice
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey, for all of you Metro Atlanta residents, there will be a Head Demo Day tomorrow, January 6th, at two PGA Tour Superstore locations: Buckhead and Duluth. I will personally attend the one at Duluth on tomorrow as I've been eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Microgel Prestiges. I plan on trying the MG Prestige Mid and Prestige Pro. I won't mention the deal they mentioned for pre-order because I don't want to disrespect TW but if you are interested, I'd suggest you at least call. For those of you in the Dallas and Phoenix areas, I'd suggest you call your local stores as well to ask when they will be having their Demo Days.

~Juice

herosol
01-05-2008, 08:02 PM
How come only in those states?

Serve n' Volley
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh my god. So many things happening in the US, while I'm freezing my but off in -20 degrees Celsius temperatures! :cry:

thejuice
01-06-2008, 07:51 AM
How come only in those states?

They are the only states the PGA Superstore are located at this point. It's a great startup company though (the same guys that started Home Depot founded these stores). From what I know, they will be expanding to SoCal and Florida in '08 and possibly Michigan and the Pacific NW in '09.

tennis_nerd22
01-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh my god. So many things happening in the US, while I'm freezing my but off in -20 degrees Celsius temperatures! :cry:

and meters of snow... :cry: haha

nickolaika
01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for posting this!
I'll come by to check out the Microgel Instinct. I hope the have it. :)

------
Nick www.36x78.com (http://www.36x78.com)

bigdog8815
01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Plano location had demo yesterday...Frisco today. Worth going for.

thejuice
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Okay, first of all, I was so excited I felt like I was going to my bachelor party (again) when I was walking up to the court. To my surprise, there were only two teens trying out the Mojo and some other red tweener stick when I got there. They said they had been there for a while so they were tiring out (I think they were waiting on their parents or something). They had no problem letting me jump onto the ball machine to try out the Prestige line. I was disappointed that they didn't have a Mid but I wasn't surprised since most retailers I've come across in the Atlanta area don't carry it. I was able to hit extensively with the Prestige MP and Prestige Pro.

For reference, I am a 4.0-4.5 all-court lefty with a 1HBH. My review is as follows:

Groundstrokes:
I was able to hit many, many groundies and I found that the Prestige Pro has a hell of a lot more topspin potential (duh) than the MP. With that said, the MP was able to generate topspin a lot easier than its FXP older brother. The backhand side felt sweet with both but the power of the Pro is so much easier to tap (it felt stiffer by the way) so I was smoking shots and putting them where I wanted them. The true difference was a slight less amount of power in the MP (but not much) and less topspin. The slice backhand is where the MP dominated the Pro because I noticed the Pro would float a slice where the MP's slice would bite the court.
Winner: Tie

Volleys:
This is where the Pro was weak for me. I was sticking the MP with ease but the Pro felt a lot less stable to me at the net. I was pretty close to the net and didn't feel comfortable after a little while with the Pro. It just kept twisting in my hand (can't blame the 3/8 grip size because it was the same grip size for both sticks).
Winner: MP, hands down

Serves:
The first serve I hit with the MP was way long but the first one I hit with the Pro was right on the line. I am used to playing a Midsize (I currently play the FXP Mid with Redondo Mids as backups) so I think the MP was just a touch more powerful than I'm used to. After hitting about 20 serves with each, the MP felt like it was serving a heavier ball while the Pro gave me a little better control.
Winner: Pro (slightly)

Final result: I ordered two Mids blindly with the agreement with the store that if I didn't like them, I would be able to switch them out with either the MP or Pro (since they couldn't offer me a demo). The racquets were more than I had hoped for. They look great and feel great. Please try them out if you are looking for something new. I can see a lot of people trying out the Pro as it is a monster for the baseliner that wants a little more control. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!!!

Serve n' Volley
01-06-2008, 08:11 PM
What did you think was better at the categories you mentioned between the FXP and MG MP? Would you be able to do a review for them too? :D:wink:

thejuice
01-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Sure, I'll do a comparison a little later but I can tell you without a formal review that the MG felt better at everything for me, and that was with Head's demo string. I normally string with a 17g hybrid or full multi so I can only imagine the feel would be even better.

Serve n' Volley
01-07-2008, 03:57 AM
^^ Ok, thanks for the info...I'll be waiting! :twisted:

thejuice
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
^^ Ok, thanks for the info...I'll be waiting! :twisted:

Hey SnV,

I was thinking I'll wait until I receive my sticks so I can do a better review/comparison that would include the same strings I currently use on my FXP Mids (currently hybrid of Red Code and Goshen Sheep 17g).

Serve n' Volley
01-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Ok thats fine. :wink:

cys19
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
The MG Prestiges (Pro + MP) lacked the softness that I got from the LM Mid, so since the MG Mid has the same flex rating, I doubt it's the racquet I'm currently looking for. I was looking for a soft Mid racquet that flexed in about the same places as but swings a little lighter than the LM Mid.

I enjoyed hitting with the MG Radical MP though. Very soft but lacked the solidity I got from the Prestiges. Think I'm just going to stick to my LM Radical.

timeisonmyside
01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the review TheJuice.

Could you also possibly comment on the stability of the Pro compared to the MP? I've only demoed the MG Mid and the MP so far and found the MP to not be as stable as I would like. I'm like you and currently use a FXP Prestige Mid.

It seems to me Head should string their demoes with something other than Sonic Pro. It is pretty expensive ~$12.00, so cost isn't their concern. Polyester is quite a polarizing string (either love it or hate it). Maybe something more neutral playing.

thejuice
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the review TheJuice.

Could you also possibly comment on the stability of the Pro compared to the MP? I've only demoed the MG Mid and the MP so far and found the MP to not be as stable as I would like. I'm like you and currently use a FXP Prestige Mid.

It seems to me Head should string their demoes with something other than Sonic Pro. It is pretty expensive ~$12.00, so cost isn't their concern. Polyester is quite a polarizing string (either love it or hate it). Maybe something more neutral playing.

^^First off, I love your avatar. Classic Street Fighter.

My review and comparison was actually the Pro vs. the MG MP. I didn't get to demo the Mid. The MP, in my opinion, is more stable than the Pro but you can't really tell until you get to the net. I'm an all-court player so I need something that won't twist or feel too light in my hands at the net.

thejuice
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
The MG Prestiges (Pro + MP) lacked the softness that I got from the LM Mid, so since the MG Mid has the same flex rating, I doubt it's the racquet I'm currently looking for. I was looking for a soft Mid racquet that flexed in about the same places as but swings a little lighter than the LM Mid.

I enjoyed hitting with the MG Radical MP though. Very soft but lacked the solidity I got from the Prestiges. Think I'm just going to stick to my LM Radical.

Hey Cys,

Have you tried to get your hands on a Redondo Mid? I think that is what you are looking for.

timeisonmyside
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
^^First of, I love your avatar. Classic Street Fighter.

Thanks. Ha-do-ken! :)

If you're currently using the FXP Prestige Mid, then you won't be disappointed by the MG Prestige Mid. It's slightly better in every way, IMO.

strife726
01-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the review!!

Do you find the MG Pro's grip size run any bigger then your flexpoint? I heard form some the MG pro grips feel bigger then the flexpoints, while other say its the same.

thejuice
01-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the review!!

Do you find the MG Pro's grip size run any bigger then your flexpoint? I heard form some the MG pro grips feel bigger then the flexpoints, while other say its the same.

They felt the same to me. The demo I used was a 4 1/2 which is what I used on my Flexpoints.