PDA

View Full Version : Does a suggestion of a suitable racket for NTRP rating matter?

magogami
01-05-2008, 07:49 PM
When looking at rackets on TW, at the end it always (or at least usually) says "Best suited for..." Does that mean that if you are not at the level it recommends, that you won't play well with it, and it could hurt your game? Or is it just saying that if you are that level or above, you will be able to use the racket to its maximum capability?

herosol
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
not necessarily.

Perhaps in the beginning it might feel that way, but i'm sure using one same racket for a long period time, adapts your play to it, and possibly improving your game.

Most of the NTRP recommendations are based upon Headsize and Weight. And truthfully many pros have been playing "5.0+" rackets from the beginning.

Many defend that a beginner won't play good tennis with a k90 versus a light tweener like an Aero 112 or something.

It probably is true at times. But really, you'll improve with any racket.

Because we don't have the luxury of constantly testing a large amount of rackets very quickly, it is best just to find something not "holy-grail" or perfect, but rather something that is comfortable.

Don't be adverted by heavy weight and small headsizes, but don't try to believe such player's sticks will make you better when you yourself feel very uncomfortable wielding them.

I would say try a close to player's level tweener, which is a nice balance and you can play with that for awhile and move on later on if you feel you need more control or stability with a heavy player's frame.

magogami
01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I had a feeling it was based on weight and such. I'm not that great but I seem to like a heavier racket.

racquet_jedi
01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I had a feeling it was based on weight and such. I'm not that great but I seem to like a heavier racket.

Then don't let people tell that you should be using light racquets right? :wink:

magogami
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Then don't let people tell that you should be using light racquets right? :wink:

Haha yeah I guess...

Agent Orynge
01-05-2008, 09:14 PM
You should play with whatever feels right. I'm a 4.0, and I frequently use heavier, "4.5+" frames because that's what I prefer.

LanEvo
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
the choice of a racquet is what u like and feels good to u, like a beginner could be using a k90 and like it

fujitsu77
01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Doesn't matter, as long as you like the racquet, use

NoBadMojo
01-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Just posted this in another thread and it applies here
<snip>
This is pretty much the same as the headsize stuff that gets 'discussed' and the racquet weight stuff that gets 'discussed'

In answer to your post, yes denser stringbeds are designed with the better player in mind although better players use all manner of gear and both open patterns and closed and ones in between. the best manufacturers tweak their stringbeds so that you get advantages of both by having the pattern denser in the middle and more open outside the sweetzone

It takes technique to hit with spin and lesser players dont have good technique..denser stringbeds are harder to spin
It takes technique to hit with controllable power and lesser players dont have good technique and dense stringbeds racquets are generally less powerful
Ditto for small headsizes..takes skill to hit the sweetzone unless playing with aunt mary
Ditto for heavy racquets..takes skill to swing them fast under control and with technique

This is precisely why manufacturers suggest certain products for certain skillsets. This is why TW suggests certain products for certain skillsets. This is why people like me think it reasonable to match gear to ability...
<end>