PDA

View Full Version : Does the K90 feature "Braided Construction"

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Anyone know? You think if it was wilson would clearly state it- like it did with the original tour90... We all know "braided construction" is what gives the unique pro staff feel but has wilson duped us by givin us uni directional layup in the ncode90 and Kfactor? If true the k90 would be far from what fed uses, and the original tour90 would be the closer to what feds really swingin.

tennis_hand
01-06-2008, 05:46 AM
who cares what Fed uses.

BreakPoint
01-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Anyone know? You think if it was wilson would clearly state it- like it did with the original tour90... We all know "braided construction" is what gives the unique pro staff feel but has wilson duped us by givin us uni directional layup in the ncode90 and Kfactor? If true the k90 would be far from what fed uses, and the original tour90 would be the closer to what feds really swingin.
But how do you know for sure Federer's racquet contains braided construction? :confused:

Besides, the 20% Kevlar and thin box beam also give the ProStaffs its feel.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-06-2008, 07:00 PM
But how do you know for sure Federer's racquet contains braided construction?

Well the original tour90 had it.. There must be something good about braided construction to label it as a feature. The china 85's from the 'St.Vincent' story was supposedly not as good because of the uni directional lay-up and were superior with braided construction. You would think because the original tour90 had it that more than likely fed's did. Also from hitting with the original tour90, it had a more similar power level and feel like the old 85, just the balance was pretty bad. Ncode90 had a pretty big jump in power, but more noticeably feel was terrible and power flucuated, control was not as predictable. Same i found with the 95in ncodes.

BreakPoint
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Well the original tour90 had it.. There must be something good about braided construction to label it as a feature. The china 85's from the 'St.Vincent' story was supposedly not as good because of the uni directional lay-up and were superior with braided construction. You would think because the original tour90 had it that more than likely fed's did. Also from hitting with the original tour90, it had a more similar power level and feel like the old 85, just the balance was pretty bad. Ncode90 had a pretty big jump in power, but more noticeably feel was terrible and power flucuated, control was not as predictable. Same i found with the 95in ncodes.
I think the muted feel of the nCode90 comes from the addition of the nCode technology. This is why both the PS Tour 90 and K90 have more feel than the nCode90.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that both the nCode90 and the K90 also have braided graphite construction.

Wait, I just checked and all my nCode90's have a decal on the inside of the throat that says "Double Braided". The decal is not on my K90s but I think that's just because they decided not to put the decal on them.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-06-2008, 07:16 PM
who cares what Fed uses.

I dont really. I'm just a fan of the 85 and many people who love the racquet, not just because fed-sampras etc uses it, but even if they do and they are the reason why, want a true 90in pro staff like the original. That is what we all been waiting for.. Simply a graphite/kevlar braided construction 90in thats balnced very head light like the 85. Not possibly cheap constructed mass produced hypercrap-no feel junk like all wilsons today ;(

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I think the muted feel of the nCode90 comes from the addition of the nCode technology. This is why both the PS Tour 90 and K90 have more feel than the nCode90.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that both the nCode90 and the K90 also have braided graphite construction.

Wait, I just checked and all my nCode90's have a decal on the inside of the throat that says "Double Braided". The decal is not on my K90s but I think that's just because they decided not to put the decal on them.

Just checked mine your right-says double braid on my ncode. Maybe it's just the hyper carbon i dont like, to stiff with less feel and power not as predictable. grrr

stox
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Under the paint the k90 does indeed have a weave pattern so I'd say it is braided construction.

BreakPoint
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Just checked mine your right-says double braid on my ncode. Maybe it's just the hyper carbon i dont like, to stiff with less feel and power not as predictable. grrr
But the PS Tour 90 also contains HyperCarbon, which is why it feels so stiff. I believe it says so on the frame somewhere.

The difference is that the nCode90 added the carbon silicon nanotech particles in addition to the HyperCarbon.

I'm pretty sure with the K90, they removed the HyperCarbon, which is why it has more feel and is more flexible feeling than the nCode90. A lot of people think the K90 feels the closest to the PS 6.0 85 out of the three.

Personally, I think both HyperCarbon and nCode remove some feel from racquets.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks BP.. Do you think the K90 feels better than the 6.0 95 as far as feel compared to the 85? Also is there another brand- players racquet up to 98in- off the top of your head thats super headlight balanced with good feel that compare to the 85-95 6.0?

BreakPoint
01-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks BP.. Do you think the K90 feels better than the 6.0 95 as far as feel compared to the 85? Also is there another brand- players racquet up to 98in- off the top of your head thats super headlight balanced with good feel that compare to the 85-95 6.0?
You're welcome. :)

I think the K90 has a lot of feel and the feel is very close to that of the PS 6.0 95 but not exactly the same, just very similar.

As far as racquets with good feel similar to that of the PS 6.0 85/95 and headlight, off of the top of my head, I'd say try these:

Asian K90
Yonex RDX 500 Mid (90)
Donnay Pro One Int'l 95 (TW)

The Slazenger Pro X-1 (95) also has a similar type feel due to the same graphite/kevlar braided construction as the PS series, but it is stiffer and more powerful because it has an oval beam and not a box beam. But it is also pretty headlight.

The Dunlop Aerogel 100 (90) has a slightly different feel because it doesn't contain kevlar but it does have a box beam and is very headlight and solid feeling. It also serves about as well as the PS 6.0 85 does.

superstition
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Braiding makes a racquet feel more solid/dense, I think.

stevewcosta
01-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Braiding makes a racquet feel more solid/dense, I think.

Box beam construction is a big factor as well (for solidity, feel, control...etc.). Box beams are the only ones I buy...

stevewcosta
01-07-2008, 05:48 AM
I dont really. I'm just a fan of the 85 and many people who love the racquet, not just because fed-sampras etc uses it, but even if they do and they are the reason why, want a true 90in pro staff like the original. That is what we all been waiting for.. Simply a graphite/kevlar braided construction 90in thats balnced very head light like the 85. Not possibly cheap constructed mass produced hypercrap-no feel junk like all wilsons today ;(

I agree. I have a Donnay if you're interested. Check out the classifieds from a day or so ago. I think it's the 95 sq. in. closest to the 6.0 feel currently available. I own 3 (1 is wrong grip size for me). Like you, I have been searching for something larger that feels like the 6.0 85. IMO, the Donnay feels more like the 6.0 85 than the 6.0 95. I have no idea why Wilson couldn't make this 19MM and a bit less head light for more plow through. I really disliked the 6.0 95.