PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS003 compared to nsix-one 95 16x18

brian14190
01-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I am in search of a new racquet and I think I have narrowed it down to two racquets. The Yonex RDS003 and the nsix-one 95 16x18. I was using a RDX500 mid, however it is just too low powered and the head size is a little small for my playing level.

I am a 3.5 level player who primarily plays from the baseline. I have conventional groundstrokes and I do like to hit a fair amount of topspin.

I would appreciate feedback on the following:

Power, control, topspin, baseline play, arm comfort and which racquet if more forgiving overall for a 3.5 player.

Rasta
01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I've used both and the nSix One is heavier and may give you some fatigue in long matches if you like to pound away at the baseline. Have you tried the AeroPro Drive with Cortex. I thought it to be a solid feeling racket with lots of spin potential and the weight is manageable.

brian14190
01-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Based on your suggestion, I read the TW review for the Babolat. It does sound good. How is the stiffness? I thought I read that the Babolat racquets are very stiff and cause arm problems?

martin
01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I agree with Rasta. My favorite rackets are the apdc and the rds003. I found the apdc more comfortable than the rds003. Probably because of the cortex.

Rasta
01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Babolats are notoriously stiff but the racket that I tried didn't have a harsh feel at all. The strings were Babolat and were not overly tight. I also really like the Yonex but for whatever reason the AeroPro Drive Cortex just felt better. If you like spin and play baseline, I would think it would be a good fit.

theone
01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
They are on the opposite end of the spectrum to each other.

At your playing level I would say the RDS 003 without a doubt, and it is a fantastic racket. There is topspin in abundance and control is very good given you have the technique. I used that racket for over a year and it raised my playing level up.

tzinc
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
They are on the opposite end of the spectrum to each other.

At your playing level I would say the RDS 003 without a doubt, and it is a fantastic racket. There is topspin in abundance and control is very good given you have the technique. I used that racket for over a year and it raised my playing level up.

So what racquet do you use now?

P8ntballa
01-08-2008, 11:47 PM
two differant animals, for a 3.5 like me the yonex would be a much easier transition for a racquet you can keep using for quite awhile the rds 001 mp would be a very good option I got one took me some time to adjust but once I did found myself loving everything about it

origmarm
01-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I recently switched to the RDS003 and really recommend it. I was playing with a PSC 6.1 before that and it would be similar to an n6.1 (though heavier and less powered). I found the switch to be a good one. That said they play very differently.

I have played with the RDX500 for a week (friend's as a demo) and if you are looking for more power and a more forgiving head then's that's what you get with the RDS. The feel is quite different though, not as smooth and dampened as the RDX and I would say less feel overall. It feels stiffer also and slightly less precise

Mace
01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I am in search of a new racquet and I think I have narrowed it down to two racquets. The Yonex RDS003 and the nsix-one 95 16x18. I was using a RDX500 mid, however it is just too low powered and the head size is a little small for my playing level.

I am a 3.5 level player who primarily plays from the baseline. I have conventional groundstrokes and I do like to hit a fair amount of topspin.

Power, control, topspin, baseline play, arm comfort and which racquet if more forgiving overall for a 3.5 player.

Those are apples and oranges. I have the nsix-one and it is very heavy. 0 for power, 7 for control, 5 for topspin, 10 for baseline play, 10 for arm comfort. If you are 3.5 it is not for you at all. It is too heavy and you need a bigger head. Off center it really sucks.

I would advise you pick the Yonex of the two, but it is not really right for a 3.5 IMO.

From what you say you need forgiving but this means a bigger head. If you want comfort you want a flexible racquet. If you want topspin you want headlight. If you want baseline play you want a little stiffness and a smaller head for accuracy at longer distance. So it is all a tradeoff of what you want most of.

Pusher
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

I think the N6.1 is one of the best player's frames ever made. I also think it one of the most versatile. Sadly, you probably won't get much opportunity to buy one since they are discontinued and are only available in a few grip sizes.

Never played a Yonex.

md3113
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
the n6.1 is primarily a "players" frame. at 3.5, you may not get your moneys worth out of it.
i would go w the yonex, maybe try a similar from from babolat like u stated above. a "tweener" instead of a players frame.