PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to different rackets.

stav_babolat
01-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi, i currently have 2 babolat drive Z tours, and like them very much. However, as i sometimes get elbow pain, i am considering buying a wilson Nblade as its stiffness is way lower than the babolats. I am hoping to use both of these rackets to help my elbow a bit. So should i adjust and use both rackets or would the differnece in swingweight and flexibility/stiffness be too dificult to adjust to and is it worth just sticking to 1 of these 2 rackets. Is it too hard to adjust and become accustomed to both of these rackets?

Babolat specs:
Head Size: 100sq in
Weight:(unstrung) 285g
Length: 27in
Balance: 0.75 pts Head Light
stiffness: 72

Wilson Nblade specs:
Headsize: 98sq in
Length: 27 inches
Weigth Unstrung 304g
String Pattern 18 x 20
stiffness: 58

Gasquetrules
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Try changing to a softer string or lower tension if you like the Babolat and don't want to change frames. String matters more than frame.

But, the Babolat does sound pretty stiff. I like more flex in a frame myself.

But if you can play then you can play with anything. I'll often change to entirely different racquets during tournament play based upon the kind of opponent I'm playing and the surface. I can adjust very quickly. I also have several of my favorite frames strung with different strings and different tensions for the same reasons. Some setups work better against one kind of oppenent than another.

Heck, if you can play, then you can pick up a wooden racquet and get the feel of it in a few minutes and get the most out of it.

But research strings before you begin buying a lot of frames.

stav_babolat
01-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Ha, ok, i mean will i be able to play with both and switch between the 2 regurlarly?

stav_babolat
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I have babolat xcel premium In 1 of my rackets (comfort string) and a plyester string (durability ) in my other racket.

flyer
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I would strongly recommend not switching frames quite yet, what string do you use? Gasquetrules seems to switch frames, strings, etc very often and maybe that works for him but that is very, very uncommon and there are no pros that currently do that and probably there never have been, in tennis consistency is extremely important and I would not recommend his practices to anyone. I wouls say to you if you like your frame thats the last thing you should switch, you should always try different strings, tensions and other variables first, and be advised Babolats and Willsons play extremely differently, maybe if your forced to switch frames a Wilson is not the answer

stav_babolat
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
ok man, so i take it using 2 completly different rackets is difficult to do. ill have a think. Check my above posts, i have said what strings i use. By the way, i never said id completly switch, i said, would it be possible to get a wilson aswell, and use both the babolat and wilson in different matches / days, to help my arm out a bit more. I have no intentions of completly switching, its just wheter i should learn to use both the babolat, and the wilson is what im asking? Or is this a bad idea, using 2 different rackets?

fuzz nation
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Some players can switch around without too much of a speedbump in their game and that might be the case for you with these two racquets. They're not completely different, but you may find a different feel that requires an adjustment period each time you switch... who knows? If you're trying to cool out your elbow though, and you need to keep playing, it would probably be smart to use a racquet that you are used to. More specifically, one that you won't be racking up mishits with. It should be easier on your elbow if you can stick with a comfortable player for a while as I see it.

flyer
01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
ok man, so i take it using 2 completly different rackets is difficult to do. ill have a think. Check my above posts, i have said what strings i use. By the way, i never said id completly switch, i said, would it be possible to get a wilson aswell, and use both the babolat and wilson in different matches / days, to help my arm out a bit more. I have no intentions of completly switching, its just wheter i should learn to use both the babolat, and the wilson is what im asking? Or is this a bad idea, using 2 different rackets?

what poly do you use, some are softer than others, i would say in my opinion using to different rackets is a bad idea, if it helped you know for what ever reason, eg arm problems, surface, opponent, etc the pro would do it too, there is a reason they don't, consistency is the most important thing you can kinda play around with tension but other than that you should be as constant as possible

stav_babolat
01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
ok thanks alot man. my 2nd babolat came with stock balistic polymono

stav_babolat
01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
How about getting a pure storm, thats less stiff, but still fairly more similar ...

jayserinos99
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
If anything, given how stiff your frames are, you should look into using a soft multifilament in both frames. Also, which tension is in each of your frames? The posters who replied before me have the right idea in only sticking with one frame and dropping tension/changing string. What you're asking for is to change to two completely different frames (stiff to flexy, open to closed string pattern) which will need an adjustment period IMO. Lastly, you have to be honest with yourself and ask is the cause of the pain equipment related or technique related (i.e. Are you mishitting a lot?)?

Alafter
01-07-2008, 01:52 AM
I think ya gonna have to end up shelling out some cash for a new racquet to find out the truth whether a less stiff racquet is gonna do your elbow any good or not. Afterall, there's no guarantee unless you have the racquet with your fav soft string at your tension, right?

Also, I find myself confused and doubting my gears if i have more than 1 racquet. I wouldnt do it.

And since you're needing to find out if it's the racquet, why not get something decent that will prove that point right off the bat? AS per this board, they used to sing "Prokennex Kinetic 5G" in unison for pain relieve.

As for my mom, Head protector MP was her relief.

origmarm
01-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Two words: Natural Gut

Its more durable than you think providing you get the right one and makes a HUGE difference for TE. Several guys I know had bad TE with Pure Drives and put gut in them, problem solved. Might be worth a try

stav_babolat
01-07-2008, 08:02 AM
ok, thanks.

flyer
01-07-2008, 11:24 AM
ok, thanks.

As for string recommendations i would encourage you to try Technifibre's NRG2, its made to play exactly like natural gut and hits like a dream, also much less pricey and much more durable than Natural Gut, hope I helped

stav_babolat
01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
ye you have, ive decided that the Nblade is too different to be able to switch during a game or practice. I will however demo a pure storm, and if i like it ill buy it. I love buying rackets, im only 15, but it feels good to splash out loadsa cash and play a brand new racket. Feels good. lol.