PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Needed!

dgolden20
01-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm currently using the Prince O3 White and I'm looking to upgrade. The two that I'm considering are the Prince Speedport White and the Wilson kBlade 98. I know most of you are going to tell me that I need to demo them, but sometimes I tend to regret the decisions I make after the demo and I really need to make this switch soon with a new season coming up. Anyway, I'm a 4.0/4.5, topspin forehand, flat two-handed backhand with the one-handed slice, big serve, baseliner. I feel like I have power and I'm looking for better contol but my topspin sometimes doesn't land as deep as I want it. So if anyone has suggestions, please feel free to help me out. I'll say I'm no expert at this so please tell me everything you think! Thanks!!

tennismaster888
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm currently using the Prince O3 White and I'm looking to upgrade. The two that I'm considering are the Prince Speedport White and the Wilson kBlade 98. I know most of you are going to tell me that I need to demo them, but sometimes I tend to regret the decisions I make after the demo and I really need to make this switch soon with a new season coming up. Anyway, I'm a 4.0/4.5, topspin forehand, flat two-handed backhand with the one-handed slice, big serve, baseliner. I feel like I have power and I'm looking for better contol but my topspin sometimes doesn't land as deep as I want it. So if anyone has suggestions, please feel free to help me out. I'll say I'm no expert at this so please tell me everything you think! Thanks!!

i haven't played with either of those frames but i can tell u that its probably going to be hard to get a bunch of info on the kblade as the demos aren't out to the public yet

P8ntballa
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
You will get more spin, forgiveness, and comfort from the sp white (go with the pro model) but the smaller head and tighter string pattern of the Kblade will give you much better feel and control which I think is better if you have a good refined stroke (if your at 4.0-4.5 level you should have.) Another few racquets that I hit with which I found good were the sp tour and pure storm tour both edged toward control, feel and gave great access to spin should try them out. Also the racquet I choose over these and others, the yonex rds 001 mp works well with all spin shots and gives great feel.

dgolden20
01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
You will get more spin, forgiveness, and comfort from the sp white (go with the pro model) but the smaller head and tighter string pattern of the Kblade will give you much better feel and control which I think is better if you have a good refined stroke (if your at 4.0-4.5 level you should have.) Another few racquets that I hit with which I found good were the sp tour and pure storm tour both edged toward control, feel and gave great access to spin should try them out. Also the racquet I choose over these and others, the yonex rds 001 mp works well with all spin shots and gives great feel.

Yeah, I have refined strokes. My backhand is much more steadier ... I tend to get tight on my forehand in pressure situations and not swing through the ball or I miss time it. But, when I time it right, it's lethal :twisted: I really love the feel of the 03 white but I just don't have the control I want. But like I said, if I go to the kBlade, I'm worried that my topspin forehand will sit up in the mid-court. What do you think???

P8ntballa
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
You should get a little more depth (from on center hits) from the blade because of the tighter string pattern (less spin when I hit with it) but at tighter stringing, 61lbs+, the blade is as I said extremely demanding

Steve Huff
01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
With the SP White, you have the option of placing the grommets in the holes to get a little more control. If you're fairly comfortable with the O3 White you have now, I'd go with the SP White.

fuzz nation
01-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Just from my experience, I'd bet that you'd regret a lot more of your decisions if you didn't demo any frames before you bought them. That honeymoon period where we're just getting used to a new frame is often a tennis player's trip through the Twilight Zone <cue music>... We get all those expectations in our heads along with the change in feel and timing until we actually rack up a couple of hours (or weeks!) settling in with a fresh bat. Perilous to say the least!

I suppose that if you don't mind buying and selling racquets for a little while, you could essentially adopt a "buy it to try it" strategy to give yourself longer trial periods with frames of interest. The loss that you'd take when you sell your racquets could be looked on as the cost of extended demos. In any case, you might have the most familiar feel if you switch to another Prince frame (similar grip shape) and control would probably come from a little more heft, a bit more flex in your frame, or a dose of both. Heavier frames are noted for having more power, but I also get contol from a heavier racquet due to its higher stability - I can swing it less frantically at the ball and command it well. I'd also expect the weight to help your shots to be more penetrating.

I found the O3 Hybrid Tour to be a very capable hitter and it doesn't seem to have nearly the swingweight that is listed on it, but it needs tighter strings for control. The O3 Tours have more flex and seem to be layed out well for baselining along with the Head Flexpoint Radical Tour. There are certainly other options, but you sound like you're looking for the performance that should come from some extra weight and more flex than what you play right now. Good luck in the coming season.

dgolden20
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Fuzz, I totally agree with you. I think I'm being way too impatient with not wanting to demo them first. I guess the fact that the season is right around the corner and I don't want to waste any time waiting on them to come and testing them out is getting to me. I'm starting to realize that I need to demo them.

Anyway, can someone give me some more information on the grommets for the SP White?? And, I've been looking around at other options and I'm thinking of trying out the kBlade Team (I think that's what it was called, but the one that Serena is using right now). What's that like compared to the SP White and kBlade 98?

I'm still leaning towards the kBlade 98 because of the string pattern, which I think would go great with my topspin. I think I'll be fine with the headsize, I previously played the the nTour 95. I'm just worried about the forgiveness of it. I'm the first to admit that I do have my off days. Keep the thoughts coming in, I really appreciate them!!

dgolden20
01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Now thinking about it, I'm not sure if the tighter string pattern increases spin or decreases it??

P8ntballa
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Anyway, can someone give me some more information on the grommets for the SP White?? And, I've been looking around at other options and I'm thinking of trying out the kBlade Team (I think that's what it was called, but the one that Serena is using right now). What's that like compared to the SP White and kBlade 98?

I'm still leaning towards the kBlade 98 because of the string pattern, which I think would go great with my topspin. I think I'll be fine with the headsize, I previously played the the nTour 95. I'm just worried about the forgiveness of it. I'm the first to admit that I do have my off days. Keep the thoughts coming in, I really appreciate them!!

I think the white has the inserts like the black and tour Id personally go with the string holes, and the Kblade team is much more forgiving then the 98 but be careful it adds quite a bit of power. In my humble opinion out of those three I think youd like the sp white the best (great compromise between power and control) but fuzz is right you need to demo them to be sure

dgolden20
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I think the white has the inserts like the black and tour Id personally go with the string holes, and the Kblade team is much more forgiving then the 98 but be careful it adds quite a bit of power. In my humble opinion out of those three I think youd like the sp white the best (great compromise between power and control) but fuzz is right you need to demo them to be sure

Well I'm planning on getting the SP White and SP White Pro along with the kBlade 98 and kBlade Team to demo. What are the main differences between the SP White and Pro? Jankovic uses the Pro I believe and does Sharapova use the regular model??

P8ntballa
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Well I'm planning on getting the SP White and SP White Pro along with the kBlade 98 and kBlade Team to demo. What are the main differences between the SP White and Pro? Jankovic uses the Pro I believe and does Sharapova use the regular model??

The whites do not have the inserts, my mistake, but the pro is the heavier version (11.7-11.9oz strung) is more flexy and has a tighter string pattern (18x19.) The regular white is around 11.2-11.4oz strung stiffer with a more open string bed (16x19) the regular version is also less headlight 2-4 points hl depending on if u add a overgrip and what string is used. In terms of how they feel the pro is more solid has descent feel and is slightly more control oriented with good access to spin. The white was slightly more maneuverable with more pop and great spin. Overall I liked the pro more because of the stability and becaus it maintained a good level of maneuverability.

P.S. liked both more then all versions of the blade but nothing in these stixs maid me want to switch

psp2
01-10-2008, 05:28 PM
With the SP White, you have the option of placing the grommets in the holes to get a little more control. If you're fairly comfortable with the O3 White you have now, I'd go with the SP White.

Steve, I don't recall SP White frames having interchangeable grommets.

Alafter
01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Upgrade is such a strange word to use.

How about just stick with the O3 white and find a way around the problems. There's a lot of advantage for you in doing that.

dgolden20
01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
The whites do not have the inserts, my mistake, but the pro is the heavier version (11.7-11.9oz strung) is more flexy and has a tighter string pattern (18x19.) The regular white is around 11.2-11.4oz strung stiffer with a more open string bed (16x19) the regular version is also less headlight 2-4 points hl depending on if u add a overgrip and what string is used. In terms of how they feel the pro is more solid has descent feel and is slightly more control oriented with good access to spin. The white was slightly more maneuverable with more pop and great spin. Overall I liked the pro more because of the stability and becaus it maintained a good level of maneuverability.

P.S. liked both more then all versions of the blade but nothing in these stixs maid me want to switch

Thanks for the help man. I'll let you all know how the demo goes as soon as they become available. Any reason why all the racquets I wanna demo, they don't have available yet. I saw some other pre-orders that had demos available. ANNOYING. :evil:

roller~
01-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Prince for Prince~:)

downdaline
01-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Cant comment on the kBlade, but i did try the nBlade once and it was really low-powered.

I've tried the Speedport white before and it's got a huge sweetspot and good power, more than the nBlade imo.