PDA

View Full Version : My head is spinning! Is yours?

headfan91
01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
With all this new racquet technology(or gimicks) I am so confused as to what I should about a new racquet. Currently I am using a dunlop M-fil 300. But I feel like its not stable enough and not quite powerful enough for my liking. I have been looking at all sorts of racquets to demo, but there are way to many choices out there. My question is, do all these racquets really make that much of a difference? Or is it all about the player? Should I demo more racquets or just find one and stick with it? I just don't know what choice to make. And I don't think I'm alone.
Demos so far:
rds001
rds003
m-fil300
ag300
Then there is string,
I have been using klip excellerator @57lbs, just because I am afraid to make a mistake choosing new string. I want power, comfort and feel, but I don't think I am ready to shell out the $ for gut. I also don't break strings enough to ''experiment'' or have the $ to do so. What are some safe options.

I also don't think that companies, like prince who come out with three lines of racquets in about a year and a half are helping us consumers. There are just simply too many options out there. I am just afraid to make a wrong decision. What would my best choice be?

racquet_jedi
01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I think that you should try some lead first at 3 and 9' o clock, unless you don't want to higher the swingweight...

JackSkellington
01-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't put too much thought into it. Whichever demo you felt most comfortable with is the one you should pick. Your form and practice will determine your skill

[d]ragon
01-06-2008, 04:53 PM
try adding abit of lead to the 3/9. it wont change the specs too much

PackardDell
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Fischer M Comp 95
Very stable cause all the mass is around the oval.

JW10S
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
My question is, do all these racquets really make that much of a difference? Or is it all about the player? It's the player that makes the difference. Someone (KaptainKarl I think) wrote in another thread that they felt the racquet made at most a 5% difference. I'd go along with that--certainly no more than a few %. I believe that if a player has a deficiency in their game and they are looking for a racquet to fix it for them they will always be disappointed. But that is exactly why you see so much new technology these days. People actually believe that there exists a racquet that will make them a better player without any more practice or any more work on stroke technique or strategy. The racquet companies are more than happy to capitalize on that belief. No racquet by itself will move you up to a higher level of play. As I said in another thread, a good player with a different racquet is still a good player. On the other hand a bad player with bad technique with a different racquet is still the same bad player with the same bad technique.

Richie Rich
01-06-2008, 05:10 PM
i added lead at 3/9 and also on the handle to counter weight so i still kept stock balance. increase in power and solid feel and i added an ounce in total. 1 ounce of lead tape is way cheaper than a new racquet :lol:

firstservethenvolley
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
If your Head(pun intended) is spinning, pick up a Wilson.

P8ntballa
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I use the rds001 mp and love the power and control edging toward control and feel that it is quite forgiving confirming yonex's statements that the sweet spot is larger on isometric head shapes I would also try the RQis 1 tour by yonex great power for a 95in head and like all other yonex frames great spin

headfan91
01-07-2008, 02:24 PM
ok guys thanks for all the help! I added 4 grams total to 3 & 9, and 1 gram to 12. And will try it soon. But I have had my racquet for a while, so I would kind of like to try out some of the newer models. What would fit the criteria I'm looking for? Similar to the M-fil 300, but with more stability, and power. I'm open to all suggestions. thanks alot!
Specs I would like:
Headsize:95-100
weight:11.0-11.5oz
Balance:4-7pts HL
Stiffness:60-68
String pattern: any

Hewitt Aussie
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
try the AG300, or if you can stand a bit more weight, try the head microgel prestige pro, are you more of an attacking baseliner or a defensive baseliner?

Anton
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Similar to the M-fil 300, but with more stability, and power

Between MG Radical, MG Extreme and RDS001MP - you'll have your favorite.

racquet_jedi
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Head size: 98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm. Balance: 6pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Swingweight: 314
Weight: 11.5oz / 326g Stiffness: 65 (0-100)
Power Level: Low Construction: 21 mm
Swing Speed: Fast String Pattern: 16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Composition: High Modulus Graphite w/ DNX Technology

Well, these are the specs of the DNX 9...

Head size: 98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm. Balance: 4pts Head Light
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm Swingweight: 325
Weight: 11.2oz / 318g Stiffness: 64 (0-100)
Power Level: Low Construction: 21 mm Straight Beam
Swing Speed: Fast String Pattern: 18 Mains / 20 Crosses
Composition: LiquidMetal Titanium / Graphite and Piezzo Electric Fibers

And this is the Head LM Radical Mid+...

TW has a cool racquet finder search engine in which you can enter your ranges and it will look through all of the racquets and find you one...

Anton
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Between MG Radical, MG Extreme and RDS001MP - you'll have your favorite.

Oh crap Almost forgot one that seems to fit your specs and requirements perfectly - Volkl Tour 9 V Engine - it is cheap and a great tweener-to-player's racket with good customization potential.

I've played with all these frames (inc. mfill300) except the Extreme for at least a few weeks.

headfan91
01-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Ok I have my demo list so far:
Tecnifibre T-flash 310
Prince Ozone tour
Yonex RDS002
Babolat APDC
Babolat Pure Storm
Head Microgel Instinct

I would like to get two more possibilities so that I can have 8 demoes all together. What other racquets are similar?

Anton
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok I have my demo list so far:
Tecnifibre T-flash 310
Prince Ozone tour
Yonex RDS002
Babolat APDC
Babolat Pure Storm
Head Microgel Instinct

I would like to get two more possibilities so that I can have 8 demoes all together. What other racquets are similar?

...Volkl Tour 9 V Engine ?