PDA

View Full Version : Grip sizes?

Benjamin
03-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Yesterday I tried a demo of the Wilson ROK (see mini-review for my thoughts). The demo came with a 4 3/8" grip and I added an overgrip. I typically play with a 4 5/8" grip plus an overgrip.

It may have just been the racquet (the weight, the balance, etc.) but I seemed to have better control of the racquet at the net as well as more wrist snap on my serves.

The "index finger between the hand when gripping the racquet" test says that I should be using a 4 5/8" grip plus an overgrip.

Does anyone here use a smaller grip than what the "grip determination tests" would indicate?

What would I lose (or what disadvantages are there) by playing with say a 4 1/2" grip plus an overgrip instead of my normal size grip?

Thanks for any help.

Benjamin

AAAA
03-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Benjamin, I use a smaller grip than what the 'tests' recommend and for me the main disadvantage is the racquet is more prone to twisting on hard off-center hits. However with a larger grip I'm not able to hold the racquet firmly enough when ripping BH groundies or serve returns.

edge
03-21-2004, 09:02 AM
A smaller grip will allow you to get around faster on your strokes, i.e., more snap on your serves. If it's too small, you will get too whippy on your strokes and less stability on off center hits. You must be hugh to use a 4 3/4's grip. Stitch, who was 6'3", used a 4 1/4 grip. In the ol' days, they used to say,"use as big a grip as you can." I started with a 4 5/8's. As grips evolved from continental to eastern, then semi-western, my grip evolved to 4 3/8's. Sometimes I use a 4 1/4 if I feel sluggish without any problems.

Kokopelli
03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Totally agree with the Edge!

Smaller grip gives more wrist snap, in my experience.

Robert Jones
03-25-2004, 12:35 AM
I agree too. Smaller grips are easier to snap serves. But it depends on your hand size. Small for you may be huge for others.

You should have some space between you finger tips and your palm when you grip the stick. A finger width is suppose to be about right for most people.

babar
03-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Ben,

The main drawback that I have encountered with using smaller grip sizes is that the increased wrist movement might lead to wrist injury. In the past, I used a 4 3/8 b/c that is what size is correct for my hand, but due to normal wrist pronation and snap on my strokes, I developed wrist tendonitis. It was recommended that I try a larger size to keep my wrist stable and not further damage my wrist. After 2 years of using a larger size, my wrist feels much better and my strokes have developed better spin potential due to the stable wrist. I will say that my serve snap is not what is could be with the larger grip, but I never had a 120mph serve anyway. Good Luck.

JB
03-25-2004, 10:48 AM
I just ordered a C10 Pro with a 4 3/4 grip...usually play with 4 5/8 with overgrip. Without the overgrip there isn't a "finger width" of space - the standard test for grip size. After reading these post I wonder if I should have stuck with the 5/8.... guess I'll know soon enough. I am 6'4" though, so I may be fine with that grip.

baseliner
03-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Benn
Another disadvantage of a too small grip is you tend to grip the racket tighter and can develop tennis elbow. While you get more whip and snap with the small grip, the stability and comfort of the larger (proper) grip probably outweigh the temporary advantage.