PDA

View Full Version : choosing racuet conundrum-weight v power

biggsy
01-07-2008, 05:43 AM
....somewhere i read that you should buy the heaviest racquet you can cope with. I have just read an article by a top tennis coach who said buy the most powerful racquet you can buy that you can control. what a dilema. Any advice on which is best would be greatly appreciated

Gimmick
01-07-2008, 07:28 AM
They're not mutually exclusive. Find the heaviest weight you can comfortably swing for several hours a day, then find the most powerful racquet in that weight range that you can still control. You can use lead tape to find your favorite weight, no need to demo alot of racquets. Then demo a few racquets in your happy weight range with different head sizes and stiffnesses. Just four frames are needed to arrive at your holy grail.:)

meowmix
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Very simple situation. There are plenty of racket in the 11.3 ounce range. On one hand, there's Babolat Aerpro Drive. On the other, there's the AK90. Both 11.3 ounces, but the APD SO much more powerful.

To answer your question, I like a racket that's hefty, but will give some power. That's about in the 12 ounce range, BTW.

fuzz nation
01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
...the most powerful racquet you can buy that you can control...

I'd say it's good to use the racquet that you have the most control with. As long as it's not completely dead (if it is, you'll know it after about 90 seconds), you can better control your shots as you swing bigger and make more power. If a frame has so much pop that you have to shrink your swing and hold back just to keep from spraying the ball around, it's probably a poor fit for you.

It's often the case that as you use racquets with added flex, you'll see more control and you can swing away with more consistency. For players with more compact strokes, a stiffer frame with a little more pop can work better. More weight typically adds more inherent power to a racquet so heavier ones tend to have more flex. Too much flex in a frame and you'll feel like you are playing uphill - your shots might have a bunch of spin, but no zip or penetration.

If a racquet feels like a fly swatter in your hand and the ball seems to push it around easily, it's probably too light for you. If swinging it feels like you're dragging it through a swimming pool or your shoulder is trying to dislocate itself after 20 minutes of hitting, the frame is probably too heavy for you. That's about it.