PDA

View Full Version : How do some of you do it?

McLovin
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I've been reading some of these threads, and I'm a bit confused on how some of you can have 2 or 3 different sticks in your bag during a match. Maybe I'm a head case, but I have 4 Babolat Pure Control + "2001" rackets, all weighted the same, all strung with the same string, at the same tension. I use the same overgrip, as well as string dampener, etc.

The reasoning is:
If I hit the ball out, it was something I did. Its not the racket. Its not the string/tension. Its not the overgrip. Therefore, if I'm missing shots I normally don't miss, the only variable in the equation is me.

Am I crazy?

python
01-07-2008, 10:24 AM
No, but you're a serious player. Kudos on realizing it's you that matter not what bat you are swinging. I'm a 4.0 player right now with no real prospects of getting better given the time I have to spend practicing. For me, an equipment change against the right opponent can make all the difference in winning or losing.

jmverdugo
01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, im on that crazy boat too, i dont even try others people rackets, NOT even while practice time, because im pretty sure it will mess with my head. BTW i only have four of the same racket too, stock form though (well i use leather grip).

VGP
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
It's 'cause we're better than you.

grass_hopper
01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
and we like to help economy and have fun doing it. racquets and cars are meant to be improved upon and tested.

McLovin
01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
The only honest response to my question...

CGMemphis
01-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Thats what Im sayin'.... :twisted:

I have two styles of sticks in my bag. 95% of the time, without thinking its the same stick for me. But in the back of my head from time to time, I go back to another racquet. Not mid-match or anything...practice. Match time, Im like you, its the same 3 sticks..well one, all three the same. I dont vary, because I know its me.

I like the feel of the other racquet from time to time. They both suit me and my game.

Vermillion
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
some of us are broke. We can only afford racquets in the junk pile.

sureshs
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I've been reading some of these threads, and I'm a bit confused on how some of you can have 2 or 3 different sticks in your bag during a match. Maybe I'm a head case, but I have 4 Babolat Pure Control + "2001" rackets, all weighted the same, all strung with the same string, at the same tension. I use the same overgrip, as well as string dampener, etc.

The reasoning is:
If I hit the ball out, it was something I did. Its not the racket. Its not the string/tension. Its not the overgrip. Therefore, if I'm missing shots I normally don't miss, the only variable in the equation is me.

Am I crazy?

If you mostly use one, and keep the rest as backup, their tensions will not be the same as your primary stick.

meowmix
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
If you mostly use one, and keep the rest as backup, their tensions will not be the same as your primary stick.

True, bit it's a LOT easier to switch to a backup than switching to a completely different stick.

DY3K1D
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM

The reasoning is:

Am I crazy?

I used to be one of those players who would do that. my reasoning was when I was young I thought i needed a racket for diffrent players. so i would have a racket that hit deep, racket that would have more pop, etc. that was my excuse...

tzinc
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
It's hard enough with one stick. Although I will try out other sticks for fun from time to time - demos etc.

McLovin
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Unless I am playing in a tournament, I only have 2 strung at any given time. The one I am playing with and my "backup". I break strings ~ every 5 -6 times I play, so the tension is never really that far off. Although I will admit that having your own stringing machine allows me to that without having to take out a 2nd mortgage just to finance strings.
Also, I don't have "one" racket. I cycle through all of them (yes, they are numbered 1 - 4) so they age at the same rate. Sounds anal, I know, but like I said before, if I'm missing shots, there is no doubt in my mind that its me, not the equipment.

skraggle
01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
These days, I bring three different sticks with me: My M-Fil 200 18x20 for when I'm feeling good and tagging it, nCode 95 16x18 for when I need more juice and cheap topspin, and a cut-down Diablo XP MP when I'm tired and in damage-control mode.

Whether it's in my head or not, I've pulled out matches by switching sticks halfway through.

LanEvo
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
These days, I bring three different sticks with me: My M-Fil 200 18x20 for when I'm feeling good and tagging it, nCode 95 16x18 for when I need more juice and cheap topspin, and a cut-down Diablo XP MP when I'm tired and in damage-control mode.

Whether it's in my head or not, I've pulled out matches by switching sticks halfway through.

i definately agree with you here i have 3 diff. sticks for however im feeling when i play

TheShaun
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
i have a bag full of different sticks with similar specs. i think the reason is just because i haven't picked a regular one yet.

TennezSport
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Sounds anal, I know, but like I said before, if I'm missing shots, there is no doubt in my mind that its me, not the equipment.

It's not anal, you are just using the same plan as the Pro players on tour. They follow the same process that you describe with the addition of have a couple of racquets strung 2 to 4 pounds tighter or looser to allow for changing conditions like wind or surface response.

Once you reach a certain level of ability, you want to minimize any other uncontrolled variances in the equation. So as you say, same racquets, weighted and balanced the same, same overgrip and string. Now the only variance is you, nature and what you do with the ball.

Not crazy or anal, just thinking like a pro. Good on ya mate.

TennezSport :cool:

bad_call
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
...Sounds anal, I know, but like I said before, if I'm missing shots, there is no doubt in my mind that its me, not the equipment.

2 same model racquet...one with poly hybrid, one with multi. that's all i need. the rest is up to my Popeye arm and Olive Oyle legs. :)

dpfrazier
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Unless I am playing in a tournament, I only have 2 strung at any given time. The one I am playing with and my "backup". I break strings ~ every 5 -6 times I play, so the tension is never really that far off. Although I will admit that having your own stringing machine allows me to that without having to take out a 2nd mortgage just to finance strings.
Also, I don't have "one" racket. I cycle through all of them (yes, they are numbered 1 - 4) so they age at the same rate. Sounds anal, I know, but like I said before, if I'm missing shots, there is no doubt in my mind that its me, not the equipment.
I used to cycle through racquets like you do, but this can be dangerous, since all the strings can get ready to break at the same time. Once I went through three racquets in one match, and had to borrow a racquet to finish the match...

raiden031
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I guess I am different than everyone. I have multiple racquets, and usually I use a Mid+ tweener racquet for serious matches but I use some Midsize player's racquets for practice. My reasoning is that the midsize are a little bit harder to hit cleanly, so I use them to help me focus on hitting the sweetspot in practice and I want to be punished when I hit poorly. In matches, I want a bit more forgiving racquet so that I can hit ok even on a bad day. I try to avoid switching racquets mid-match, because it might take a few games to get used to the change, but other than that I don't have trouble adjusting from racquet to racquet from one day to the next. My idea is to develop my game so that I can adapt to any environmental change and still play well. Whether that be wind, sunlight, differing opponents, or my racquet.

With all that said, I have no idea if this helps or not but I haven't stagnated yet.