PDA

View Full Version : Public Service announcement for O3 Owners

Bencia
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I have made this mistake about 3 times so I want to make sure nobody else does. When you string an O3 frame, YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT IT IS MOUNTED WITH THE P ON THE BUTT CAP FACING UPRIGHT. If you don't you will be stuck when doing the crosses and you may end up having to waste string which can cost you big money if you are using expensive string

thejuice
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I have made this mistake about 3 times so I want to make sure nobody else does. When you string an O3 frame, YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT IT IS MOUNTED WITH THE P ON THE BUTT CAP FACING UPRIGHT. If you don't you will be stuck when doing the crosses and you may end up having to waste string which can cost you big money if you are using expensive string

I may be mistaken but there are instructions that come with the racquets that warn you to this. I've been a stringer for a couple of years now and I made this mistake once. I actually read the info that comes with the racquet and I could have sworn that it made a mention to this. If it wasn't info that came with the racquet, it's printed somewhere because I know I read that.

jelle v
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I've never strung an O3 racket, but it doesn't make any sense to me what you are saying. Shouldn't matter which way the P is facing imo. :confused: Then again.. Never strung one so maybe you're right, in which case I apologise.

jelle v
01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok.. so apparantly it does matter.. why? :confused: The holes are all symmetricly placed aren't they?

Bottle Rocket
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I've strung a bunch of these things and never paid any attention to this and I haven't run into any problems other than having to deal with the huge holes.

What does "you will be stuck" mean?

uk_skippy
01-07-2008, 12:49 PM
It does matter which way the rqt is mounted as long as you string the short side correct when stringing 1 piece.

I suspect the OP is suggesting that by having the rqt mounted with the 'P' upwards you're less likely to to make that mistake, althought there is an easy get out if you've strung the short side on the wrong side, and you' ve got enough string for 1 cross. Otherwise you'll have to turn your 1 piece string-job into a 2 piece.

Regards

Pau

Bottle Rocket
01-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I suspect the OP is suggesting that by having the rqt mounted with the 'P' upwards you're less likely to to make that mistake, althought there is an easy get out if you've strung the short side on the wrong side,

I still don't understand the problem or how the side facing up has anything to do with anything.

I guess if I mount it wrong and run into this problem I can just turn the stringer upside down and the problem is solved? :rolleyes:

Bencia
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
It seems as though a lot of people responding to this thread aren't in the know as far as stringing o3's 3e concerned. By getting stuck I mean that you will get to a cross string that goes down diagonally as opposed to horizontally and you will be unable to procede without ending up with an improperly strung racket that doesn't meet usta specifications.

Pr0DiGy
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
okay, I'm going to clarify this thread right now.

Prince 03 rackets do NOT have their cross o ports positioned parallel. If you think about it, it wouldn't make sense. Where would the string go if the holes were parallel? So the holes are staggered. Where there's a hole on one side, there's grahpite on the other.

With that established, it follows that the crosses must be strung starting on a certain side, or else it will not follow the holes. Prince rackets have a short side, which is the side that you tie-off the mains in a one piece. The other side you obviously continue with the crosses.

It's a habit for me to always string the right half of rackets as the "short" side. Just a habit, nothing more. If I don't know about the short side, around half of my stringjobs would have messed up crosses. The OP is saying that you must mount the racket so that the P is up. That only applies for those who string the "short side" on the same side as the OP.

As a summary, this thread is misinformation. You do not need to string prince rackets mounted a certain way, you just have to read the stringing instructions.

P.S. If you look at a Prince racket, you'll notice that both sides have holes labeled for Main Tie-offs. That implies that you can tie off for either hole or both holes (for two piece). However, there is only one "start crosses here" hole, which is for the starting knot in a two-piece. If you follow the grommet labels, it all works out. You need not worry about short side/long side in two-piece stringing, only in one-piece stringing.

kaibaNYC06
01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Jus string it 2-piece if you put the short side on the wrong side. why would u waste string from this :???:? Prince also labels which is the short side (well on all the 03 racqets that i've strung thus far).

Rabbit
01-07-2008, 02:21 PM

:)

Let me guess, when you got to the last main and was ready to start the crosses you said "Awwww shoot" or something similar?

I have made that mistake once myself. After stringing a few other frames, I didn't even think about it when I mounted it. Thankfully, I had measured out enough to do the short side and didn't have a lot of extra. I just cut it close to the knot and unstrung it, remounted and had a nice do-over.

Stan
01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
okay, I'm going to clarify this thread right now.

Prince 03 rackets do NOT have their cross o ports positioned parallel. If you think about it, it wouldn't make sense. Where would the string go if the holes were parallel? So the holes are staggered. Where there's a hole on one side, there's grahpite on the other.

With that established, it follows that the crosses must be strung starting on a certain side, or else it will not follow the holes. Prince rackets have a short side, which is the side that you tie-off the mains in a one piece. The other side you obviously continue with the crosses.

It's a habit for me to always string the right half of rackets as the "short" side. Just a habit, nothing more. If I don't know about the short side, around half of my stringjobs would have messed up crosses. The OP is saying that you must mount the racket so that the P is up. That only applies for those who string the "short side" on the same side as the OP.

As a summary, this thread is misinformation. You do not need to string prince rackets mounted a certain way, you just have to read the stringing instructions.

P.S. If you look at a Prince racket, you'll notice that both sides have holes labeled for Main Tie-offs. That implies that you can tie off for either hole or both holes (for two piece). However, there is only one "start crosses here" hole, which is for the starting knot in a two-piece. If you follow the grommet labels, it all works out. You need not worry about short side/long side in two-piece stringing, only in one-piece stringing.

Prodigy is correct. This thread is utter nonsense. The O3 racquets can be mounted either way. The frame is clearly marked short side and as long as the stringer knows which side is the short side there is no problem. It does not matter if it is right or left. Butt caps are also not all inserted the same way. Go to any tennis store, pull down several racquets position cosmetics in the same position and then look at butt caps. Some will be up and some will be down. It is random.

Take your racquet to a professional stringer, not some high school kid with a Klippermate stringing in his basement and all will be well. Stan has spoken.

baselinerT
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
just make sure you start your mains with the one on the short side and you'll end up starting the crosses on the other side

Bencia
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
while it is true that it doesn't matter if you are doing a two piece stringing job, it does matter if you are doing a one piece job. As far as stringing instructions go, you only get them if you are a usrsa member or if you go to their website and print them. I am not a usrsa stringer and I don't try to look for stringing instructions unless a frame is poorly marked. There are many other people like me who aren't usrsa members that string rackets for themselves and others. Many of these people don't know what the term short side indicates and will have to learn the hard way. Hopefully this thread can teach any of those people before they end up wasting string or have to make a one piece stringing job into a two piece stringing job.

Pr0DiGy
01-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure, but I believe 03 rackets are marked with "short side" somewhere.

bigmatt
01-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Every brand new O3 frame I've received has come with stringing instructions explaining how to avoid this problem. The other posters are correct, as well: all O3 series frames have a "short side" label on the inside of the frame by the top outer mains. If you look for this while inspecting the frame, the OP's problem shouldn't occur.

jmverdugo
01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I have strung a lot of this frames, there is a note on the grommet where the starting knot should be and you can only start the crosses on that side, otherwise,well, you know what will happen. There is no need to mount the frame on a certain way, BTW im not a USRSA member nor have a book with stringing patterns.

The only problem i find with this systems is that you get less live of your grommets since you have to use the same always, also, the string grooves the frame untill you cant use it anymore, well actually this happened to just one racket that i know (my wife´s btw)

psp2
01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
while it is true that it doesn't matter if you are doing a two piece stringing job, it does matter if you are doing a one piece job. As far as stringing instructions go, you only get them if you are a usrsa member or if you go to their website and print them. I am not a usrsa stringer and I don't try to look for stringing instructions unless a frame is poorly marked. There are many other people like me who aren't usrsa members that string rackets for themselves and others. Many of these people don't know what the term short side indicates and will have to learn the hard way. Hopefully this thread can teach any of those people before they end up wasting string or have to make a one piece stringing job into a two piece stringing job.

You posts are idiotic!!! As long as the stringer knows which side of the frame is the short side, P or d on the buttcap doesn't matter.

Here's one better for ya.... On an O3 Hybrid Scream (yellow frame), there is no marking of "short side" on the frame. However, any competent stringer can figure out which side is the short side by simple logic and a bit of knowhow.

thejuice
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
You posts are idiotic!!! As long as the stringer knows which side of the frame is the short side, P or d on the buttcap doesn't matter.

Here's one better for ya.... On an O3 Hybrid Scream (yellow frame), there is no marking of "short side" on the frame. However, any competent stringer can figure out which side is the short side by simple logic and a bit of knowhow.

Wow, no need for name-calling is it? His post made a lot of sense. Apparently, not everyone is a master stringer such as yourself. The OP might not have the experience you have stringing so "simple logic" to you might be rocket science to a novice.

psp2
01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow, no need for name-calling is it? His post made a lot of sense. Apparently, not everyone is a master stringer such as yourself. The OP might not have the experience you have stringing so "simple logic" to you might be rocket science to a novice.

No, it's not rocket science. But perhaps you need to take some lessons since you've made the same mistake per your earlier post.

By the OP confounded statement, we ALL must string our short side on the same side. Perhaps it's opposite in the southern hemisphere????

Bottle Rocket
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
By getting stuck I mean that you will get to a cross string that goes down diagonally as opposed to horizontally and you will be unable to procede without ending up with an improperly strung racket that doesn't meet usta specifications.

Like Prodigy and others have said, this is nonsense.

If you start on the proper side in the proper location, the racket can be strung properly. If you start on the wrong side, the racket cannot be strung properly. It has NOTHING to do with the way the racket is mounted. NOTHING.

flyer
01-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Jus string it 2-piece if you put the short side on the wrong side. why would u waste string from this :???:? Prince also labels which is the short side (well on all the 03 racqets that i've strung thus far).

exactly this problem is so simple, just string it two piece and start were the racket itself is labeled to

uk_skippy
01-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Like Prodigy and others have said, this is nonsense.

If you start on the proper side in the proper location, the racket can be strung properly. If you start on the wrong side, the racket cannot be strung properly.

Actually it depends on which 03 you're stringing. If you're string the 03 Tour MP and you start on the wrong side, as long as you have enough string to do the top cross and reach the tension head, and you have a starting clamp to aid you then you can string the rqt ok. In fact this is how I string all the 03 Tour MP's I get.

Regards

Paul

jmverdugo
01-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Depending on the "HYBRID" some can be strung on either side of the racket, the one with the holes at 12 and 6. The one with the holes at 3 and 9 have a instruction written on them and must be followed.

YULitle
01-08-2008, 04:58 AM
^ I think he was just pointing out that on THAT particular racket it isn't written, which it isn't. And yes, anyone who has strung these before should be able to figure out which side is the short side.

jmverdugo
01-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Ok got it, so the O scream have the holes at 3 and 9 but doesnt have any instruction written on it, good to know. thanks. :)

jazar
01-08-2008, 05:56 AM
I've strung a bunch of these things and never paid any attention to this and I haven't run into any problems other than having to deal with the huge holes.

same here. i pretty much learnt to string using these rackets and never paid any attention to the placement of the "P" and i've never had any problems

TravelinMan
01-08-2008, 06:51 PM
My SP Tours are demo racquets so I have a "d" on the butt cap. :)

I only string these 2-piece and never pay attention to right side up or down. Tie and start grommets are clearly marked.