PDA

View Full Version : Variations in Prostaff Classic 6.1?

mattie
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi all

I'm still using my old Wilson Prostaff 6.1 Classic after trying a few more modern racquets and not really getting on with them. The only problem is that I only have the one, which causes difficulties when I break a string and have to use my backups (a Head Ventoris and Polaris and some nasty Triad thing my parnets picked up for a song whilst visiting your good selves in the States). This is not ideal for consistency.

Someone is selling a reasonably new (well, reasonably unused) Classic which I'm hoping to buy as a spare. After a quick browse through the boards I've noticed that there are a few variations in this racquet, notably there is a 'stretch' version and I've seen references to the colour of endcap indicating some variation. I must admit I'm not even sure what version I have, is there a way of establishing my model and (more importantly) deducing the questions I should ask the seller to make sure the one he's selling is the same version I have? The entire point of my purchase is to get two identical racquets!

Also, my friend bought what looked like a classic in white with (from memory) blue and red graphics. I think it may have been something to do with Steffi Graf, but my memory's hazy. I certainly never saw it anywhere in the shops. Any ideas? If similar, I could ask to use his as a spare as it's currently gathering dust at his dad's.

All comments gratefully received, apologies for length of post.

p.s. my racquet has a white endcap, if that means anything.

VGP
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
A long time back I had a pair of Wilson PS Classic 6.1's.

As with any racket that's produced over the years, the company's methods and materials have changed over time. Minor changes in beam cross section, butt caps, grips, weight......

If you decide to purchase this other PSC, you might find that it will be different than your favorite frame. Mind you, your favorite frame has changed too with restringing and playtime. Only you can decide if it's a risk you're willing to take. (I don't mean to sound overly serious)

In the case of the PSC 6.1, I'd recommend trying out the n6.1 95 or the k6.1 95 as these (from what I've read) worthy updates of this frame.
No changes in headsize, string spacing, overall specs, etc. Get a pair of those and you won't feel like you're radically changing frames when you break a string.....unless you've tried these among the "modern frames" you mentioned.

mattie
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks VGP.

I've tried a couple of nCodes, a babolat and the Prince Triple Threat Hornet (if that's right?) and preferred the Classic, I've yet to try the racquets you mention but will see if my local shop have any loaners.

I'm not sure I want to head down the route of changing racquet, It's really a case of 'it ain't broke', it's just that some back-up would be good. I take on board your comments that my frame (it's had perhaps four serious season's use over 10 years or so) will be well run-in and a newer version may not match up, however I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on just how different an ostensibly identical but less-worn racquet would play. I'd still be interested to see if there's some way of establishing equivalence of build, but your comments suggest that such changes are gradual and there may not be any obvious versions.

The bloke wants 35, around $70 with the strong sterling but about 1/5 of the original rrp so I may give it a punt. Your post is food for thought though, thanks again, I may look into trying out the newer Wilson models later in the summer.

VGP
01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks. At that price (compared to new sticks) and from the condition you described, I'd try it.

You just might find yourself another decade of fun!

jcstennis
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
mattie, i don't know if you have seen my for sale post... i'm selling my ProStaff Classic 6.1 95" White butt cap...
email: jbird5150@comcast.net

racquet_jedi
01-07-2008, 03:45 PM
As far as I know, there are two versions (unless proven otherwise by someone more experienced in this Prostaff line) of this racquet, the standard length (27 inches) and the Stretch (27 1/2-28 inches)...

drakulie
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I have played with two versions of this frame (white cap and black cap).

The white cap version is the first one made and plays much stiffer and thicker that the latter.

mattie
01-09-2008, 02:49 AM
mattie, i don't know if you have seen my for sale post... i'm selling my ProStaff Classic 6.1 95" White butt cap...
email: jbird5150@comcast.net

Thanks for note - unfortunately I'm in the wrong country!

mattie
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
As far as I know, there are two versions (unless proven otherwise by someone more experienced in this Prostaff line) of this racquet, the standard length (27 inches) and the Stretch (27 1/2-28 inches)...

Yep, I've heard references to the stretch, but I've not seen it actively 'marketed' as such. I played a work colleague yesterday who played a Classic 'Tour Edition' - his understanding was that the original Classic had fewer mains, the Tour Edition increased the number of mains to 18, and that all later models had 18 mains anyway and the 'Tour Edition' tag was dropped. My one has 18 mains and no additional markings.

His racquet had a cracked frame (he only had it along as a spare as I didn't have my own with me), he reckoned that it's possible to get them 'welded' - I can't believe it's possible to repair a cracked racquet?

mattie
01-09-2008, 02:53 AM
I have played with two versions of this frame (white cap and black cap).

The white cap version is the first one made and plays much stiffer and thicker that the latter.

I don't suppose you noted the number of mains on the earlier racquet by any chance?

(please see previous post to explain why I'm asking this!)

Spatula
01-09-2008, 04:00 AM
If you do a through search you can find brand new PSC 6.1's out there. I played 6.1's from 94-07. I was about to buy more, but I just upgrades to the KSixOne95's and haven't missed a beat with them.

mattie
01-09-2008, 05:09 AM
If you do a through search you can find brand new PSC 6.1's out there. I played 6.1's from 94-07. I was about to buy more, but I just upgrades to the KSixOne95's and haven't missed a beat with them.

I haven't had much joy in the UK searching for them, I assume you're referring more to the US market?

origmarm
01-09-2008, 07:04 AM
I haven't had much joy in the UK searching for them, I assume you're referring more to the US market?

Mattie I recently switched from the PSC6.1 to some Yonexes, I had 5 at one point but some have gone to other enthusiasts already. I live in London, give me a mail on origmarm@hotmail.com and I'll send you some details. My grips are all L5 though

origmarm
01-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Sorry to add another post, forgot but yes there are variations. Earlier models are white buttcap, later ones are black buttcap. Difference is minimal but you can just about tell. This thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78797 has pictures and details of the differences. There was an 18 mains version at some point I think in 95 also for Europe only.

They also made stretch 95 head racquets and I think an oversize also but only in US if I remember correctly

Edit: Oh and there was a "Steffi Graf" version in white with red and blue lines and trim that they made at some point, basically the same racquet I think

Sup2Dresq
01-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Here are pics of the 2 I have not used in .. well forever. Hope it helps. It's a standard.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/ToSell/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/ToSell/IMG_0011.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Sup2Dresq/ToSell/IMG_0007.jpg