PDA

View Full Version : Rattling?

Azrael
01-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Recently, when hitting outside of the sweet spot, my racquet has been rattling in protest! I guess I should just deal with it or just learn to hit the sweetspot every time, but when it rattles, it's like a blatant reminder that I didn't hit the exact sweetspot on that shot, which is terrible for me mentally. Plus I can feel the vibrating (or at least I think I can). Has anyone had this problem that can help me? Or does anyone think they can figure out why it's rattling?

The racquet is a Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred with 8g of lead at 12, and 8g of weight in the butt strung up with Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 at 55# (it was strung up about a month ago, which is far too long, I know, but last time I had poly in for too long it didn't rattle) and a #64 rubber band dampener.

My guess is that the lopsided weight distribution is causing more stress on the grommets, which in turn puts more stress on the strings, but has anyone else with a lot of weight at 12 had this problem? Jo11yRoger? Anyone who tried SW2?

Ferrari1190
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
well i had that porblem because the lead i put in the handle was clumped and came loose, i had to take out the lead and then put stuff around it to make a snug fit

Azrael
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the response, Ferrari1190, but that's definitely not the problem in this case. I don't use lead in the handle; I use clay (which isn't a problem...it sticks to the sides, doesn't go dry, and won't break apart) because I once had a problem with loose magnetic tape in the handle. But back then, I could shake the racquet to hear it rattle. Now it only rattles when hit above the sweetspot, in case that makes any difference.
In search of an answer, I've removed the weight from 12, and will be testing for silence tomorrow (but prospects aren't too high...by just hitting the stringbed against my hand I can hear it rattle :\).

Steve Huff
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
First, I don't think the weight distribution has anything to do with your rattle. Without seeing the racket, I'd bet the rattle is coming from the handle. Even if it sounds as if it's coming from the head, 95% of the time, it's starts in the handle. When you take the butt cap off and look inside, there is usually a thin piece that divides the handle in half. When it cracks or breaks away from the racket, it makes the racket sound (and feel) like it's cracked on every mis-hit. If you put weight in the handle, there's a good chance you cracked that divider. Fortunately, it's a pretty easy fix. Take the cap off again, remove whatever you've put in it. Then, get some rubber cement. Brush it all over the divider, especially where it meets the inside of the handle. I've even poured the rubber cement in and rotated the racket around so that the cement is more even distributed. Let me know if this works.

Azrael
01-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks, Steve Huff. I'll check the handle and everything before I go to bed tonight.
The weight distribution thing was just something that sounded plausible to me in some flailing attempt to find reason :p.

Azrael
01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
BTW, Steve Huff, how would you determine where to put the rubber cement? By that, I mean how do I find exactly where the crack is?

slider2828
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Also, does it hit weird other than that? Do you string your own racquet? One time I had someone string my racqet at a shop, they left a piece of old string in the cap grommets. I complained and said something was wrong but they wouldn't believe me, so I took it some where else and long and behold they pulled 2" piece of Luxilon out of it. I was ****ed. But maybe check over your strings under a strong light as well, but there was rattling when the string was left in.

dancraig
01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
A few years ago I had trouble with two or three Prince frames. I think they were the TTHornet and TTAirdrive. If you hit a ball above the sweet spot, they would buzz and vibrate. If you hit the heel of your hand there, it would also do it. I even tried it on a demo in a shop, same story. Must of been a design flaw or just low quality frames.

JRstriker12
01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Check for cracks, especially under the bumper.

I had a Wilson that started doing the smae thing. Found out there was a hairline crack under one of the bumpers.

Azrael
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Check for cracks, especially under the bumper.

I had a Wilson that started doing the smae thing. Found out there was a hairline crack under one of the bumpers.
That's actually entirely probable...I scraped my bumper hard on a running forehand around the time it started rattling. I'll be sure to cut out the strings and check under the bumper.

Also, does it hit weird other than that? Do you string your own racquet? One time I had someone string my racqet at a shop, they left a piece of old string in the cap grommets. I complained and said something was wrong but they wouldn't believe me, so I took it some where else and long and behold they pulled 2" piece of Luxilon out of it. I was ****ed. But maybe check over your strings under a strong light as well, but there was rattling when the string was left in.
Well, I don't string my own racquets (saving up for a stringer as we speak), but it's been strung for well over a month now. If it were a problem like that, I think it would have acted up before a month. In any case, it's a possibility, as the piece of string may have been locked up before, but is now loose. Anyway, I'll check because I really want to find out what's wrong. Also, nothing else is wrong with it.

A few years ago I had trouble with two or three Prince frames. I think they were the TTHornet and TTAirdrive. If you hit a ball above the sweet spot, they would buzz and vibrate. If you hit the heel of your hand there, it would also do it. I even tried it on a demo in a shop, same story. Must of been a design flaw or just low quality frames.
Yes! That's exactly how it is! Just by hitting my hand on the stringbed, it rattles. But it never happened before (and I've had this Aerogel since I preordered it), so I doubt it's an inherent problem in the frame.

Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I'm willing to try anything at this point cuz I don't want to spend the extra $150 to get a new Aerogel...I'm having enough monetary problems as is.

LanEvo
01-09-2008, 06:55 PM
yea i think it maybe that the top part of the racquet isnt a best place to hit because with my triad its the same thing from the top portion down its fine but once u hit with the top it vibrates

J011yroger
01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Yo!

Take the rubberband off and try it to see if it still rattles.

If the loop of the rubberband touches the frame at all at the bottom of the head it will make a noise/rattle/vibrate like you can't believe comes from the rubberband.

For the record, I never used SW2, I knew it was all B.S.

J

Azrael
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
LanEvo, I try to hit the sweetspot all the time, I really do. It just sadly doesn't work out all the time. Also, it's more like a rattle...almost as though there were something inside the strings rattling around when I hit the upper hoop.

Thanks for the reply, Jo11y. The first thing I thought the rattling was when I was on the court was the rubber band, but as it turns out, when I took off the rubber band, the rattling got worse! I guess it was dampening the rattling. Either way, for my recent playtest without the lead at twelve, I had replaced the rubber band for the Dunlop vibe dampener that came with the Aerogel. Rattling was just as bad as ever, I'm afraid.
And sorry if you thought I was saying that you tried SW2. I just noticed that you use a lot of lead at 12, and that people who tried SW2 would also have a lot of weight in the head.

J011yroger
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
^^ Is the cut part of the string by the knot too long and touching the frame? That will rattle too.

Otherwise I would suspect a broken grommet.

I do feel for ya man, having a rattling racquet bothers the **** out of me, so I am quite experienced at tracking them down.

J