PDA

View Full Version : :::***about to buy Prince Ozone Seven***:::

lovin'it
01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
over 40 , 3.5 female, mainly doubles, net player, need control not power, got that! over hit with the babolot pure drives, not enough spin on my shots to pull them in. demoed many over the break, i guess i just have a bit of lack of enthusiasm as the reviews on this one seem a bit mixed. don't want to make this brain surgery, but don't want to not try something great out there. was playing with head flexpoint four, just want more pop on volleys...seems i have to work too hard with the head. volleys work for themself with the prince. comments??

El Diablo
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
That's a big, stiff racquet to volley with....I'd be wary. Ever notice that many of the best doubles players use 95 inch racquets? I use a large racquet, but it's flexible so I don't overhit that often. I just think big, stiff racquets make it too hard to control (i.e. keep in court) some of the hard-hit balls that you have to reflex-volley when you play doubles. And the secret to good doubles is keeping ground strokes and returns LOW -- not so easy to do with a big stick. Maybe a 100 inch racquet......

lovin'it
01-07-2008, 04:17 PM
the white prince maybe? i have been afraid of the smaller head, is it really that much more manueverable? i just didn't get much 'ping' on volleys without really pushing through them with the head, this seems to be more effortless. any particular racquet you'd recommend? thanks

SimpleSimon
01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
the white prince maybe? i have been afraid of the smaller head, is it really that much more manueverable? i just didn't get much 'ping' on volleys without really pushing through them with the head, this seems to be more effortless. any particular racquet you'd recommend? thanks

In my area I am a 4.0, 41 yr old male, doubles was what I competed in most. When I was playing a lot (20 years ago) I used ProStaff (the Edberg and Sampras) racket. Since picking it up again I find I cant quite get the hang of it with these smaller headed, heavier rackets anymore. I have an Ozone 7 and a Hybrid Hornet 03 both strung with full gut at 62lbs.

I get lots of control with both rackets (particularly with full gut) but I do prefer the Hornet more, its the feel. The Ozone is very muted. The head size is not an issue, its not like using a 90 (or even a 95), the difference is relatively small between the 100 and 107.

Good luck and have fun