PDA

View Full Version : Talk Tennis search Function limited to 3 characters

Chauvalito
01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
TW,
Before the last revamp of the site posters were able to search for basically anything, but now that searches require 3 characters or more, it has made it a little difficult and time consuming to find pertinent threads.

For example, i cannot search for "volkl c7", which would bring up threads on that specific racket. Searching volkl produces pages and pages of possible threads.

Furthermore the following searches cannot be done as well, which also makes it difficult to find previous threads on rackets.

wilson k factor
wilson k 95
yonex RD 7, 5, 6 long etc.
yonex RQ
prince 03... etc. etc.

There are more which are primarily related to rackets, many of which have some 2 letter descriptive as part of their name (RD, RQ, 03 etc.)

Is there a remedy for this that I am not seeing, or will the search function continue to require 3 characters.

Changing the search function to allow for 2 characters would be a big help(functionally speaking), specifically for the rackets section of the forum.

Thanks

ananda
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
oh i thought it had to do with numbers not characters.

i used to try searching for posts with the title: PS 6.0 95"
or PS 95
and it never takes the numbers.

That results in starting a new thread, since you can't locate the old one.

Chauvalito
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
oh i thought it had to do with numbers not characters.

i used to try searching for posts with the title: PS 6.0 95"
or PS 95
and it never takes the numbers.

That results in starting a new thread, since you can't locate the old one.

Exactly, the beginning of new not needed threads is what I am trying to prevent, usually when I want to discuss a topic, I search first and post if a thread about the topic has already been started.

There are so many rackets out there with just one letter/number or 2 letter/numbers in their names.

As you pointed out, a search about a very popular racket such as the PS 6.0 95 does not work, and I am sure there are many many threads concerning that racket.

Chauvalito
01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Also searching for strings is possible, but if the guage is not included, you again get a lot of unrelated hits.

For example if I search "stamina 17", i will get a number of threads.

ananda
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
otoh, one problem is either thread subjects that have misspellings - ensures that that thread will not get picked up in a search if "bakchand" or "forhand" is typed.

Or when a thread title is something like "Pls help me" or "I suck" :-).

I prefer to search on titles, i don't know about others here. Searching text can bring up a lot of unrelated threads.

Chauvalito
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
otoh, one problem is either thread subjects that have misspellings - ensures that that thread will not get picked up in a search if "bakchand" or "forhand" is typed.

Or when a thread title is something like "Pls help me" or "I suck" :-).

I prefer to search on titles, i don't know about others here. Searching text can bring up a lot of unrelated threads.

I always search titles as well

firstservethenvolley
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, the two character search rule really sucks when I'm searching for racquets which is mostly what I do. Anyways, even with that this forum is awesome. Thumbs up.

Duzza
01-08-2008, 12:46 AM
What is the best thing to type when looking for n6.1 95's? I have no idea what to type....

ionutzakis
01-08-2008, 02:09 AM
allintitle: n6.1 95 -archive site:tt.tennis-warehouse.com

(search on google)

Chauvalito
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TW, is there any way to change this or is this change permanent?

Duzza
01-09-2008, 05:52 AM
allintitle: n6.1 95 -archive site:tt.tennis-warehouse.com

(search on google)

Legend....found some already :D

ananda
01-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Legend....found some already :D
haha, googles often the best, even for one's own sites.

nyc
01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I agree, this is terribly annoying!

Chauvalito
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I agree, this is terribly annoying!

Petition, petition, petition!

diredesire
01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
The last time I checked, there have been some exceptions to the 3 character rule added to the search filter. The reason there is a minimum character limit is because the servers' loads increase a HUGE amount once the character limit drops below 3.

Chauvalito
01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
The last time I checked, there have been some exceptions to the 3 character rule added to the search filter. The reason there is a minimum character limit is because the servers' loads increase a HUGE amount once the character limit drops below 3.

I thought it might have something to do with the server/hosting site, but I am not a net wiz whatsoever.

yeah, if it is going to cause an information over load, then it is not a problem

Chauvalito
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the response, could you expand on the server load explanation, it is not something I understand readily.

Chauvalito
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I dont know if this is possible, but if it could be changed just for the rackets section of the site, it would help greatly.

2 characters for the most part only applies to the rackets section of the site, because of the number of rackets which have 2 or 1 characters in their name.

ananda
01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the response, could you expand on the server load explanation, it is not something I understand readily.
My take on this is that the load is not on the search itself, but on the indexing. They have probably configured the indexing program to only index words larger than 3, and ignore numbers. Otherwise the load on the server (by the indexing program) will be a lot higher.

I don't know if its possible or not, but if words like 95, 98, 90 .. (the list gets longer as I think) could be made exceptions.

Or else if we could know how to enter the words in our posts so they come up in a search. e.g., Should we write "PS95" i/o "PS 95" ?

Chauvalito
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
My take on this is that the load is not on the search itself, but on the indexing. They have probably configured the indexing program to only index words larger than 3, and ignore numbers. Otherwise the load on the server (by the indexing program) will be a lot higher.

I don't know if its possible or not, but if words like 95, 98, 90 .. (the list gets longer as I think) could be made exceptions.

Or else if we could know how to enter the words in our posts so they come up in a search. e.g., Should we write "PS95" i/o "PS 95" ?

Good question...I have no idea.

Yesterday I tried to do a search for "Gosen, Micro, 18"...and of course 18 cannot be put in the search because it is only 2 characters.

I ended up with 10 pages of random threads, on every possible gauge.

sureshs
02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
It doesn't allow TW!

nyc
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
it's the single most annoying thing about this site.

[d]ragon
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
i agree its very annoying

Chauvalito
04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
TW...is there any way to change this, or are there any updates?

Searching is still very difficult for the many rackets have 2 letter monikers.