PDA

View Full Version : New to Tennis, purchase advice.

Ramg66
01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone, my wife and I have decided to try tennis for the first time ever, we are doing it for excersice, I am 5'7" and weigh 220lbs, wife is 5'0" and weighs 150lbs (dont know if this helps) were both 40. I have been reading these forums and have decided not to go with a cheap racquet from walmart, I will purchase one on **** and I am considering the Wilson Hammer but don't know any of the other measurements.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Swissv2
01-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Better to purchase from Tennis Warehouse or this forum (used racquets) than eay.
You will need to get your hand measurements, and the rest is really up to you!

meowmix
01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'd advise not purchasing off ****. Instead, look in TW's liquidation section- there are very good rackets there for under 90 bucks.

For you, I'd recomend the Head Liquidmetal Radical Midplus. It's a bit heavier than the average racket these days, but you should be able to handle it. Also, it costs just 75 bucks on TW.

For you wife, I'd recommend the mFil 200 by Dunlop. It's a slightly lighter racket, but a lot more powerful It should suit your wife pretty well.

If you can, you should probably demo rackets. That way, you can tell what really works for you and your wife.

I wish you luck in finding the perfect racket- also, don't worry too much about rackets now, just go out and play!

Ferrari1190
01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
idk about an mfil 200 for ur wife, especially the regular version.

i would recommend the Prince Triple Threat Scream for both of you, it has plenty of power and is light and very comfortable

the Hammers are head heavy, which usually causes elbow problems for many

Gimmick
01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
The Mfil 200 is a light swing but too demanding for a beginner who hasn't played before. The Liquidmetal 4 is inexpensive and an easy racquet to start with.

h7hugo
01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I think u should buy rackets that have a head size between 100 and 107, with a light swing and not too heavy.

my choise in TW liquidations are the Dunlop 600G I.C.E. , Fischer Magnetic Vision, Prince Triple Threat Scream or volkl bb1.

I don't advise to buy the head radical, it's too demanding for a beginner. BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD TEST SOME RACKETS and see wht is the best for ya.

louis netman
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I was assuming the mfil 200 comment was a joke....right?

Capt. Willie
01-08-2008, 01:54 PM
idk about an mfil 200 for ur wife, especially the regular version.

i would recommend the Prince Triple Threat Scream for both of you, it has plenty of power and is light and very comfortable

the Hammers are head heavy, which usually causes elbow problems for many

I agree with the Prince TT Scream. Or go with the Prince ThunderCloud which is a very similar racquet.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-TTSCRM.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-TCT.html

volusiano
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Ditto on the other posters' comment about NOT getting a Wilson Hammer. It'll give you tennis elbow before you know it. I made the mistake of using it as a beginner and paid the price (got TE for 3 months).

Cnote
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
As a beginner you want to get out and play quickly. Althoug I agree that demoing racquets is good I k now that realistically you will get bored doing this; and quite honestly it can take weeks to decide "the best racquet" for you. I recommend starting with the Prince TT Scream as suggested by others b/c it is a good starter stick at a reasonable price. IF you and your wife decide to continue with tennis, and as you get better, you will have a clearer understanding of what works for you. I started playing this past year and after a few months I realized that the Prince TT was no longer the right fit for me and eventually started playing with a 95sq in racquet with a 10.9oz weight. Right now you need to focus on developing your skills and having fun. If you pick a racquet that is too demading then you won't do the latter and give up the sport all together (which is a shame b/c it has been a blast for me!)

anirut
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Get some cheapo rackets to learn the basics and spend the better part of your investment on a good teachin pro. Once you improve, you'll know what kind of racket will suit your style of play.

Ramg66
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow thanks for all the help. Heard Prince quite a bit, checked out some reviews and I am very impressed.

Thanks again.

Bencia
01-08-2008, 10:21 PM
While the TT Scream is a good beginners racket, I would recommend that you start with a cheaper racket and work your way up as you get better. I own a TT Scream and I would have to say that it is a terrible racket for somebody starting to learn because it is very powerful which would cause a lot of short points and a lot of ball chasing for beginners. I purchased this racket as I improved and I found it to be a great racket with exceptional volleys. I have moven on from that racket now and have used the O3 royal, A racket sold exlusively at the sports authority; it is basically an O3 blue, and I now use a smaller frame in the O3 red.

tzinc
01-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Here is the key DEMO racquets. Most shops will let you do this. Try as many as you can. Also do a lot of research on here and elsewhere on the web (Tennis Warehouse Reviews) to get an idea of different racquets to try and their specs.

It takes longer but it will help you start off right by doing it that way.

Alafter
01-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Anything about 70 bucks will do.

SoBad
01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Anything about 70 bucks will do.

That's pretty much your answer to just about any question, isn't it...;)

HyperHorse
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
After you've found your racquet...
You NEED to find a coach...
Someone who will help u learn the strokes properly so you don't become another oxygen wasting annoying social player who doesn't know how to keep the ball in the court.
By the way, have you played any sport before?
Are you physically active?

Ramg66
01-08-2008, 11:53 PM
By the way, have you played any sport before?
Are you physically active?

I go to the gym once or twice a week, wife goes atleast 5 times/week, I used to box and wrestle in my high school years, football and track in Jr high. Wife never played sports but can outrun me right now. I consider myself an athlete, a 40 year old beer belly athlete. I am looking for a fun workout.

I am leaning toward TT Scream, I will be getting lessons, my neighbors run the City Tennis Club. When I talk to him atleast I will know a little bit about racquets thanks to you guys.

Alafter
01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
That's pretty much your answer to just about any question, isn't it...;)

That's not true.

equinox
01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
No offense intended, but seriously considering saving the money for a treadmill. The regular workouts WILL improve your game more than a better racket.

hydra263
01-09-2008, 07:02 AM
im new, and i use a princeTT Ultralite, its a decent racquet..

firstservethenvolley
01-09-2008, 07:06 AM
You can actually get a treadmill for really cheap on Craigslist. So, you can play tennis and do regular workout as well.

Ramg66
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
The reason I want to get into tennis is because treadmills are boring, I have a membership at 24hr fitness lifetime $49 a year (that comes to about $5 a visit) :). My daughter who is 9 is also taking tennis lessons at school, I'm going to try to get the whole family involved, I live a couple blocks from a park with 2 public tennis courts.

Thank you all for your advice, I'm glad I asked because I was going to get the hammer. Think I'm sticking with Prince TT Scream the reviews are awsome and it retails for $120, but sells for half.

Capt. Willie
01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
If you can't get the TT Scream in your correct grip size (I think they are pretty limited in sizes) go with the ThunderCloud. If you look you will see the specs on them are nearly identical. In fact, I believe the Scream was the replacement for the ThunderCloud in the Prince line-up.

HyperHorse
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I forgot to mention that you should go for an in-between racquet..
What I mean by this is pick a racquet that isn't too powerful but still gives you some power and control.
That way you'll learn how to hit full strokes with confidence, and you won't get into any bad habits(using too much wrist, abbreviated follow thru) that you might get from using a cannonball slingshot superoversized snowshoe type racquet.
If you feel strong enough, you COULD go for a players racquet and just have it strung with a soft string at a low tension.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

NLBwell
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
For a beginner, get a head size that is at least 97 sq. inches - not bigger than 110 (those are rare). I recommend at least 10-10.5 ounces in weight - some are lighter than that, but it will hamper you learning how to hit the ball well. If you feel comfortable with more weight, that is great. Other than that, it doesn't matter much. It doesn't make sense for you to pay a bunch for a racket at this point.

The Scream would fit (barely on weight) as would a bunch of the sale rackets at TW for around $70-80.

HyperHorse
01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
To the OP....
What racquet did you end up buying?

Ramg66
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I ended up ordering 2 Prince TT Screams from TW, I measured our hands (wife) and both were exactly 4 3/8 and thats what they had. I'm pretty excited and cant wait to get started. I will keep you guys updated with my progress and I'm sure I will have more questions.

This has been one of the best helpful forums I have ever joined, Thanks everyone.