PDA

View Full Version : Pt280

JKN666
01-08-2008, 10:35 AM
hey all i have a chance to buy one of these and i would like to hear your thoughts on this racquet. how does it play and if it's worth it.

thx

i would also like to know how it plays compared to the Flexpoint prestige midplus.

Speedygonzalez
01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Buy it now ! IMO really a great racquet! Very comfortable, forgiving, great control, and especially the feel is awesome. I have several and will never sell them. I have never played with the fxp so cannot compare though.

Ross K
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay JKN666. I'm going to say something that you probably won't have heard too much about around these parts as regards the PT...

First though, here's what is generally accepted...

* This frame is quite likely the single most used pj on the pro scene... do the searches and prepare to be impressed...

* This frame is, on these boards anyway, the absolute, present, king, 'trend-setter', most talked about, most highly revered, super-cool-'must have' racquet of the entire bunch...

* The PT is famed, rightly IMO, for it's unique, high class feel, as well as its incomparable precision and control...

And now for something, amidst all the hullabaloo, I can hardly recall more than one or two other people touching upon previously...

IT'S A COMPLETE MOTHER****ER TO SERVE WITH!!...

Yes!!... I think it's high time the truth rang out!...

* The frame is VERY low powered... and the serve can suffer badly...

* Arguably it really does suit players who are of an advanced level...

* As is often the way, the low power, the decent enough weight and stability seems to mitigate AGAINST a bomb of a serve (more like a floating powder puff, if I'm being brutally honest)...

All I can say is, having tried my best with it for a few months now, it truly feels like I just can't get a good enough pace and velocity with the serve (and btw, groundstrokes aren't easy either if you're talking 'power')... If you're in the region of a 4.0 (me) or lower, this might just be an issue... But this aside, all the superlatives about its lush, 'Rolls Royce' feel and its wonderous control, the way its set up, it's mobility, etc, are true... just don't expect to serve like Mister Roddick or Mister Federer... Mister Bean perhaps... but I think I've made my point! ;-)

louis netman
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
hey all i have a chance to buy one of these and i would like to hear your thoughts on this racquet. how does it play and if it's worth it.

thx

i would also like to know how it plays compared to the Flexpoint prestige midplus.

One of Head's best frames ever... an awesome weapon in the hands of an accomplished baseliner/all-courter...

Chauvalito
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM

thx

Please do a search concerning this racket, you will find more than enough information on this racket, probably more than you could possibly read in a day, most of which is very informative.

Chauvalito
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
One of Head's best frames ever... an awesome weapon in the hands of an accomplished baseliner/all-courter...

Key words are underlined. If you are not an advanced player, I seriously doubt you will be able to engage the unique characteristics of this racket which have made it so sought after on the boards.

That said, even if you are not an advanced player, buy it anyway if the price is feasible. It is a classic, and a great racket to have around once you have improved your game.

JKN666
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
okay thx for the comments everybody. now i would just like to know how it plays compared to the prestige flexpoint mp.

thx

etd
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Depends on which Pro Tour 280 you're talking about. If you're talking about the Chinese Pro Tour 280, it feels almost the same as the Flexpoint Prestige MP. The two rackets are too similar for me to make a switch from one to the other. On the other hand, the Austrian Pro Tour 280is different...it is a softer racket with better feel, but is less stable at the baseline against hard hitters because of the flex.

rasajadad
01-09-2008, 05:22 AM
I loved the Austrian version. Very soft in terms of flex. Thin beam. Nice balance. Excellent racquet for a seriously advanced player. (4.5+)

BaselinePlaya
01-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm also looking at buying one of these... I've never hit with one but all of the hype makes it seem almost "Holy Grailish". What current/ semi-current frames would you you compare the Austrian PT280 to?

NLBwell
01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I had the Austrian version of the 280. Thought they were great rackets. I don't think I lost much of anything on the server versus my previous Pro Staff 85.

Bud
01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Truthfully, it's a decent racquet... but, it's no better than other player's racquets, in my experience. If you want something that feels very similar to the PT, take a LM Radical Mid+ then slap a leather grip and CAP grommets on it. Very similar feel... identical head shape and string/drill pattern, weight, balance, etc.

Personally, I like the Aerogel 100 and Redondo Mid more than the PT280's I purchased a couple months back. My one PT (made in Austria), has a HEAD leather grip and CAP grommets. The other (designed in Austria) has a HEAD leather grip and regular grommets.

Currently, I play with these 3 racquets back to back and keep returning to the AG100 and Redondo. My dilemma is choosing between these two. I think I'll pick up a few more Redondo Mids, as THOSE are excellent racquets :)

BTW, don't pay any more than $100.00, or so, for a PT280 in nice shape. Some joker has a couple used ones on Fleabay with LM PJs for $599.00. LOL! Anyone who pays that is not too bright.

Ten_nuts
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
No, Do Not Buy The Pt 280, Neither Made In Austria Nor Designed In Austria. Why Not Spend Your Money For A New, Beautiful Racquet? If You Want To Find A Racquet Similar To The Pt280, I Can Help You With That. You Can Find A Used Tf 320 String 18x20 And Add 0.1 Oz Lead Tape On Each Side At 3 & 9, I Guarantee You This Will Play Even Better Than The Pt280. I Used To Own 13 Pt280 In 3 Different Versions And After I Got My 1st Tf 320 String 18x20, I Sold All The Pt280 I Had. I Don't Know What Level You Are But My Tf 320 Has Luxilon 17g At 57 Lbs And Boy It Rocks. I've Tried Many Many Racquets And So Far None Can Compare With Tf 320. If You Can Handle 12.5 Oz Racquet, I Suggest You Try The Tf335 Because This Racquet Feels Sooooo Solid And You Can Deliver Big Serve, Big Ground Strokes, So Stable At Net. I Wish I Can Be A Few Years Younger To Play With Tf 335. Right Now I Can Only Play With Tf 335 For About 30 Minutes Then I Have To Go Back To Tf 320. Again Jkn 666, If You Are 3.0 Or Higher And Can Handle 12 Oz Like Pt 280, Give A Try The Tf 320. Some Guys Have Such High Self-esteeme Here, Level 4.0 And Can't Get Good Serve With Pt 280? Can't Get Big Serve With Pt 280 And You Are 4, Then I Must Be 11.5. The Pt 280 Has Low Power, Is It Pt 280 Made In Germany? The Pt 280 Has More Pop Than The Head Prestige Mp Series No Matter It's Made In Austria Or Designed In Austria (china). Also Low Power? Is It 2008 Or We Are In 1988? We Have Luxilon Strings Or Something Like These Type Of Strings, Why Don't We Use Them For More Power? I Am Going Nuts Here. Oh, Hehehehe, I Am Ten_nuts And I Go Nuts Easily.

Ross K
01-10-2008, 01:17 AM
No, Do Not Buy The Pt 280, Neither Made In Austria Nor Designed In Austria. Why Not Spend Your Money For A New, Beautiful Racquet? If You Want To Find A Racquet Similar To The Pt280, I Can Help You With That. You Can Find A Used Tf 320 String 18x20 And Add 0.1 Oz Lead Tape On Each Side At 3 & 9, I Guarantee You This Will Play Even Better Than The Pt280. I Used To Own 13 Pt280 In 3 Different Versions And After I Got My 1st Tf 320 String 18x20, I Sold All The Pt280 I Had. I Don't Know What Level You Are But My Tf 320 Has Luxilon 17g At 57 Lbs And Boy It Rocks. I've Tried Many Many Racquets And So Far None Can Compare With Tf 320. If You Can Handle 12.5 Oz Racquet, I Suggest You Try The Tf335 Because This Racquet Feels Sooooo Solid And You Can Deliver Big Serve, Big Ground Strokes, So Stable At Net. I Wish I Can Be A Few Years Younger To Play With Tf 335. Right Now I Can Only Play With Tf 335 For About 30 Minutes Then I Have To Go Back To Tf 320. Again Jkn 666, If You Are 3.0 Or Higher And Can Handle 12 Oz Like Pt 280, Give A Try The Tf 320. Some Guys Have Such High Self-esteeme Here, Level 4.0 And Can't Get Good Serve With Pt 280? Can't Get Big Serve With Pt 280 And You Are 4, Then I Must Be 11.5. The Pt 280 Has Low Power, Is It Pt 280 Made In Germany? The Pt 280 Has More Pop Than The Head Prestige Mp Series No Matter It's Made In Austria Or Designed In Austria (china). Also Low Power? Is It 2008 Or We Are In 1988? We Have Luxilon Strings Or Something Like These Type Of Strings, Why Don't We Use Them For More Power? I Am Going Nuts Here. Oh, Hehehehe, I Am Ten_nuts And I Go Nuts Easily.

Although There Is Indeed A Seperate And Important Issue Regarding Strings (Which Noone Including Myself Has Mentioned), Putting That To One Side For A Second, If You Think Being A Level 4.0 Means You Can Always Serve Bombs With Whatever Frame, Well, I Think You're Wrong. As Wrong In Fact As Someone Who Thinks That Writing Posts Where Every Word Has Its First Letter In Capitals Is Either Interesting, Stylish or 'Different', When In Fact It Is Just Incredibly Annoying And Really A Little Strange.

jayserinos99
01-10-2008, 01:24 AM
* This frame is, on these boards anyway, the absolute, present, king, 'trend-setter', most talked about, most highly revered, super-cool-'must have' racquet of the entire bunch...

I thought it was the Prestige Classic and St. Vincent Pro Staff mid that were the absolute, present, king, 'trend-setter', most talked about most highly revered, super-cool-'must have' racquets of the entire bunch...

Speedygonzalez
01-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Ross,

I will pick up my PT tonight and see how I serve with it compared to the Rev 200G. I haven't been playing with the PT for a while but I can't remember having trouble with it although it is definitely not a serve monster as the MW. That rod really serves bombs!

jayserinos99
01-10-2008, 01:31 AM
okay thx for the comments everybody. now i would just like to know how it plays compared to the prestige flexpoint mp.

thx

try this link:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=64008&highlight=pro+tour+630

Ross K
01-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Hey Speedy,

I haven't been playing with the PT for a while but I can't remember having trouble with it although it is definitely not a serve monster as the MW. That rod really serves bombs!

Ah! Someone talking sense! Yes. The legendary rilf frame itself - the Dunlop MW... Actually, it's this very rod, along with the Rad Tour Tour Twin Tube, which I'm presently experimenting with. Furthermore, I agree it serves bombs all right. In fact, a player I regularly play with said I served better with the MW (in power terms) than anything else he'd seen me use, including - most definitely - the Pro Tour. Anyway, do let us know how you get on with the PT though.

Speedygonzalez
01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Hey Ross,

As promised I brought my PT280 to the training session last night. I must say that i was pretty curious how it would feel after not touching it a while. I've been playing with the Rev 200g and I was pretty happy with it. But man, the PT surprised me again!!! After each shot I felt like grinning more and more!! Groundies felt really good to me and my confidence grew with every hit. I really enjoyed the feel of this racquet and I could hit some very good angles. Especially hitting flat was a joy.

But back to business: how did I serve with it? The first thing I noticed was that it is more head heavy than the Rev. Mb they do not differ much in static weight but the head heavyness is noticable with volleys, groundies and indeed the serve. For me, this was beneficial for flat serves. In fact, I think my first serve was faster with the PT than with the Rev. I had more difficulty though with getting a good kick on the second. Here, the weight bothered me a bit although I think I could get used to it.

I must ad that my still PT has the strings of the previous owner. It looks like a synthetic gut and mb has been in it for years..... My Rev has full poly, so mb part of the power difference lies there...

I hope this was a bit useful to you. It is a pity if you give up the PT just for the lack of power on serve! For me, this makes it again more difficult which RILF i will use for main use, AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH. I MAY SWITCH BACK TO THE HOLY PT AGAIN!!!

Ross K
01-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Hey Ross,

As promised I brought my PT280 to the training session last night. I must say that i was pretty curious how it would feel after not touching it a while. I've been playing with the Rev 200g and I was pretty happy with it. But man, the PT surprised me again!!! After each shot I felt like grinning more and more!! Groundies felt really good to me and my confidence grew with every hit. I really enjoyed the feel of this racquet and I could hit some very good angles. Especially hitting flat was a joy.

But back to business: how did I serve with it? The first thing I noticed was that it is more head heavy than the Rev. Mb they do not differ much in static weight but the head heavyness is noticable with volleys, groundies and indeed the serve. For me, this was beneficial for flat serves. In fact, I think my first serve was faster with the PT than with the Rev. I had more difficulty though with getting a good kick on the second. Here, the weight bothered me a bit although I think I could get used to it.

I must ad that my still PT has the strings of the previous owner. It looks like a synthetic gut and mb has been in it for years..... My Rev has full poly, so mb part of the power difference lies there...

I hope this was a bit useful to you. It is a pity if you give up the PT just for the lack of power on serve! For me, this makes it again more difficult which RILF i will use for main use, AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH. I MAY SWITCH BACK TO THE HOLY PT AGAIN!!!

Interesting to hear of your early impressions... and BTW, I haven't given up with this extroadinary frame yet. I'm presently looking to experiment with lead and the strings, though, it's true I am also playing a fair bit with my Rad Tour TT and Dunlop MW. I'll let you know when I make my mind up on which will be the numero uno. Keep us posted too on how you get on.

thejuice
01-11-2008, 06:52 AM
As Wrong In Fact As Someone Who Thinks That Writing Posts Where Every Word Has Its First Letter In Capitals Is Either Interesting, Stylish or 'Different', When In Fact It Is Just Incredibly Annoying And Really A Little Strange.

I have to agree with Ross. That post was very strange and I think it gave me a headache trying to read it. Why would you type all of your words with the first letter being a capital letter? That just doesn't make sense.

I know I got off topic so I'll add that there are some good frames out there that feel like (or feel very close to) the PT280. The Redondo would be my choice of a new stick in that PT280 class.