PDA

View Full Version : SO I'm demoing a redondo

RoddickistheMan
01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I demoed the prokennex redondo. Ive been suffering from wrist and shoulder pain as of late. This pain began when I started using babolats with a slightly larger grip size than the one I am supposed to use. According to the wilson hand chart and the ruler method Im between 4 3/8 and 1/2 more towards one half.I begna to demo racquets in size 4 and 1/2 with an overgrip because I liked how stable the racquet felt. ALso my volleys were so much cleaner. I then developed wrist pain on my ulnar side. I then decided to demo the redondo which according to these baords is one of the most arm and wrist friendly racquets you can buy. So I demoed it with 4 and 3/8 but put three overgrips over it to make it feel similar to 4 and 1/2 with an overgrip. I then developed the same wrist annoyance but slightly toned down. I now believe my wrist pain is from using grips that are too big for my hand even though they feel more stable in my mind. Should I just follow the wilson hand chart and the ruler method and go with 3/8 with one overgrip.

Gimmick
01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Three overgrips seems excessive, but to each their own. I would try the redondo with the grip I'm spec'd at first and then experiment.

anirut
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I think the 3 overgrips is too much. Try again with just 2 or 1. And don't play too many wrist-flicks with the Redondo.

And, yes, a grip too big will give you wrist problem.

MrAWD
01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Pain on the ulnar side of my wrist also made me to switch to the Redondo and I am happy ever since! At least from the view of my wrist. In my case it seem that computer mouse is the one that hurts my wrist the most, so I have also switched it to the other hand, which seem to help as well. I did try to use one of my old sticks and did have a wrist pain again that night. Definitely, try smaller grip (less of the overgrips would be th first recommendation of course) and see how it goes!

Good luck!

Fedja

RoddickistheMan
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
okay so i played with the redondo with a 4 3/8 grip with one overgrip this time. The wrist pain has significantly decreased however there was some slight pain during play however I believe that it is residual pain left when I used the 3/8s with 3 overgrips. The whole time the grip did feel small even though it is my assigned grip. I also had some slight pain on teh outside of my forearm after play.

netman
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Maybe your technique needs work? I can see where a very stiff and heavy frame (Dunlop MaxPly McEnroe) can cause joint issues, but the Redondo is pretty forgiving.

RoddickistheMan
01-10-2008, 06:42 PM
hmm yeah. i used to play with a prostaff 6.0 85, which was pretty stiff smaller head but the grip was 4 and 1/4 with an overgrip making it equal to 4 and 3.8s exactly. I had no pain whatsoever playint with this grip but the racquet would tiwst like crazy.

MrAWD
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
By twist I am guessing that the racquet is spinning in your hand while hitting. If that is the case then the problem is not with the racquet but rather with the where you hit your ball on your string. If you are missing the sweet spot and hitting the edges, there is barely anything it will help you from twisting your racquet in your hand. Trying to muscle this will just cause you more pain, which you seem to be experiencing already. You should be able to hit your strokes while holding the racquet with only two or three fingers. If you are missing the middle, there is not forearm that will be able to hold the racquet for the longer period of time without causing you some pain.

So, I would check with where you are hitting the ball at and if you are off the center line too often, then you might need to consider bigger racquet size until you can improve your technique enough to go back to the original size.

Good luck!

Fedja

samster
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Lots of twisting = missing the sweetspot.

squints
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
if you are using you're wrist as the major part of your stroke, something is wrong. I used to use a very light racquet (head ti.s5) and had the very bad habit of using my wrist. And i developed the same type of pain.

I know that using a grip too small can lead to wrist injury due to the fact that people will try and use their wrist more dominantly to create pronation rather than the entire arm.

also as a side note, babolats give me wrist pain as well, but i use the wilson tour 90 like no tmr. The best thin to do is wait till the pain i gone, and then pick up a racquet, repeated use will only aggravate your condition. and your little tests will result in mixed/incorrect finding.

netman
01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Lets keep it simple. There are so many frames to choose from in any given category there is no need to suffer. If you like the Babs, find other frames that are comparable and given them a whirl. You can take two racquets that have identical specs, but if the material layup is different, one could cause you trouble and the other not.

Case in point for me, Dunlop Maxply McEnroe and Yonex RDS 001 MP. Loved the McEnroe but it caused me serious elbow and shoulder pain even when strung with gut. Love the Yonex and its one of the most comfortable frames I've used, strung with poly. Go figure.