PDA

View Full Version : Head Microgel Prestige retaining value

wumanchu23
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
For the most part, I always thought the Prestige lines retained value quite well. Can anybody concur with that?
I'm thinking about purchasing a MG Prestige, but not sure if I should wait until some used ones get to the market or not. If it has high retain value, perhaps I should just buy it new, since a used one won't be too much cheaper.

MichaelChang
01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I think the LM Prestige didn't retain high % of its value. for MG, I think no one can tell for sure. why don't you demo one.

wumanchu23
01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I think the LM Prestige didn't retain high % of its value. for MG, I think no one can tell for sure. why don't you demo one.

I demoed the MP last week, and I like it. I'm waiting to try out the Pro before I decide. But $200 is like the cost of both my of my current rackets combined, although I did buy them used. It just seems like buying something slightly used is a way better deal, that is assuming I can locate a slightly used one of anything.

drakulie
01-08-2008, 02:57 PM
^^^ Wait till march/april and you will find a bunch for sale, and barely used.

Although they will probably still be fairly expensive. If you wait a year, that is a different story.

AgassiGuy23
01-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm having a very hard time selling off three LM prestige frames. I'm almost giving them away and nobody's interested... So I agree that the LM prestiges didn't do well in the value category

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I demoed the MP last week, and I like it. I'm waiting to try out the Pro before I decide. But $200 is like the cost of both my of my current rackets combined, although I did buy them used. It just seems like buying something slightly used is a way better deal, that is assuming I can locate a slightly used one of anything.

Well, I just posted a thread suggesting that new MG Prestige buyers keep in contact. As I am sure some people will be buying them on a whim like they did the K-90 and will want to get rid of them when they find they are not suited.. I have ordered both the MG Prestige mid and the mid+ because I don't have access to demo where I am. So if I decide to go with the mid+ you may be able to find someone (me included) that will take the mid+ off your hands, if you decide on the Pro.. If I decide on the mid, then I will have a spare mid+ plus for someone looking for it ect ect..

tandayu
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
For the most part, I always thought the Prestige lines retained value quite well. Can anybody concur with that?
I'm thinking about purchasing a MG Prestige, but not sure if I should wait until some used ones get to the market or not. If it has high retain value, perhaps I should just buy it new, since a used one won't be too much cheaper.

If you wait, you can buy new for $99 or less

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
If you wait, you can buy new for $99 or less

Ok, please explain.. You wouldn't make a statement like that unless you weren't expecting people to reply.. ;)

WBF
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
The LM probably didn't retain price well because...

They suck.

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM

They suck.

Nice reply.. For a minute there, I was convinced that you actually thought we cared what you think ;)

ssjkyle31
01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Chris when you do demo the MP micro. Let me know how it compares the i prestige MP

WBF
01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Is this false? I was a huge fan of the i.prestige (played with it throughout college), and tried a LM prestige when I realized I needed a new racquet. I couldn't hit with it for more than a few strokes before throwing it aside in disgust.

I would imagine, given the positive input seen on the microgel prestige, that it will be one of the prestige's which retain value well.

Do you play with a LM? I suppose it might be acceptable for some players, but for the players who would typically use one of the more traditional prestiges, it seems like... well... crap.

HeadPrestige
01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

They suck.

quoted for truth...i believe drakulie agrees as well.

lilxjohnyy
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
so is the head prestige still rectangular gripped and not more round???

tandayu
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok, please explain.. You wouldn't make a statement like that unless you weren't expecting people to reply.. ;)

In Japan maybe will not happen, but in USA will happen. I bought brand new i prestige mid, LM prestige mid all under $100/each. Nothing surprising about retail in USA, after end of production period, it is clearance time. Have you heard new Pt280 sold for $29.99 each?

meowmix
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm having a very hard time selling off three LM prestige frames. I'm almost giving them away and nobody's interested... So I agree that the LM prestiges didn't do well in the value category

almost giving them away? if you don't want em, send em this way!:)

meowmix
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
In Japan maybe will not happen, but in USA will happen. I bought brand new i prestige mid, LM prestige mid all under $100/each. Nothing surprising about retail in USA, after end of production period, it is clearance time. Have you heard new Pt280 sold for $29.99 each?

WHAT? SHEESH, I'M MISSING OUT!!!:-?

meowmix
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM

You've probably noticed, but the moment you take the shrink wrap off the grip, the price of a racket drops about 30%. Take a look at the 9/10 K90's in the FS/FT forum. They're not selling for any more than 100 bucks.

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Is this false? I was a huge fan of the i.prestige (played with it throughout college), and tried a LM prestige when I realized I needed a new racquet. I couldn't hit with it for more than a few strokes before throwing it aside in disgust.

I would imagine, given the positive input seen on the microgel prestige, that it will be one of the prestige's which retain value well.

Do you play with a LM? I suppose it might be acceptable for some players, but for the players who would typically use one of the more traditional prestiges, it seems like... well... crap.

Oh I don't mind the fact you don't like the LM, but what has that got to do with thread?

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Do you play with a LM?

I can play with anything.. Whats your point?

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
You've probably noticed, but the moment you take the shrink wrap off the grip, the price of a racket drops about 30%. Take a look at the 9/10 K90's in the FS/FT forum. They're not selling for any more than 100 bucks.

Thats why I want to keep in contact with other people that buy the new prestiges, because I am happy to pay the price for a new one, but if I have one that I don't like, then rather than having the hassle of re-selling at a discount, I can "try" and find someone that has what I want, and them of me ect ect..

Zachol82
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Hah. With the MG Prestige...there's not going to be any used ones. Why? No one will want to give theirs up :P. I kid, I kid...maybe...

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Hah. With the MG Prestige...there's not going to be any used ones. Why? No one will want to give theirs up :P. I kid, I kid...maybe...

Well I am kinda starting to think that I don't play enough anymore to warrant a hefty mid stick now days. So I am actually considering changing my order (Poor Eric at TW must hate me) as I have changed my mind so many times. But I should just play safe and just go with the mp, and get two of them instead of one of each..

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Another thing I want to know is. Is the new MG Prestige mid+ a flat beam frame like in previous years, or have they taken the same shape as the Radicals this time around?. I cant find a decent picture of the mid+ anywhere.. The Prestige Pro is different again I have heard?

JohnS
01-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Best Reply Ever!

LOL

slider2828
01-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey Chris, I think its going to be similar to the Mid, where it is a flat beam. Too bad we couldn't meet up in Japan to hit some, but I have both the Pro and Mid. I gave a pretty good description on Mike Chaho's thread about the LM Mid vs. MGP Mid vs. MGP Pro.

I think the Pro is flat beam as well just thicker but more head light than the MGP Mid and Mid Pluses.

Yah lets keep in touch, I think I will be in Japan in the summer. I have RPNY serial versions, so its going to be a little different than the mass produced ones. I hope they all feel the same. If not I better get on my but and order 2 more hahaha....

VikingSamurai
01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Chris, I think its going to be similar to the Mid, where it is a flat beam. Too bad we couldn't meet up in Japan to hit some, but I have both the Pro and Mid. I gave a pretty good description on Mike Chaho's thread about the LM Mid vs. MGP Mid vs. MGP Pro.

I think the Pro is flat beam as well just thicker but more head light than the MGP Mid and Mid Pluses.

Yah lets keep in touch, I think I will be in Japan in the summer. I have RPNY serial versions, so its going to be a little different than the mass produced ones. I hope they all feel the same. If not I better get on my but and order 2 more hahaha....

Definately will keep in touch.. Always looking for someone to have a hit with.. All depends on if we decide to stay. The wife and I are considering a move back to Australia, but its all in the talking stage at the momment.. As for me, I am really missing the warm weather and the social life with sport and so forth..

As for racquets. Have you hit with the MG Prestige mid plus?.. The reason I ask is, because I loved the 16/19 AG300, but it was too light and I found with the extra spin I had to change my grip and use alot of wrist.. The Pro just seems to sound like it would be similar but heavier, so I am not for it.. I have always loved my mids, but I am starting to think that I don't play enough to use them, and so the mid plus is starting to really appeal to me alot!

As I said, I have changed my pr-order at TW a few times now, and I am worried Eric is going to tell me to go jump. he he he

slider2828
01-09-2008, 06:01 AM
No, sorry haven't played with the Mid Plus, I am just speculating it could be heavier than the pro, because I believe the Pro is around 310 grams, and maybe 320 for the Midplus?

WBF
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM

I think the LM Prestige didn't retain high % of its value.

They suck.

Oh I don't mind the fact you don't like the LM, but what has that got to do with thread?

Good question; I have quoted a few lines which may be pertinent, in case you missed them. Is it more clear now?

Touche. I have strong preferences for racquets, but you are correct; it is the player that matters, not the racquet.

I see you do play with the LM ;)

tennis_hand
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
it is not about MG or LM.

basically the prestige line can't retain its value well, and so will the MG models.

WBF
01-09-2008, 07:49 AM
it is not about MG or LM.

basically the prestige line can't retain its value well, and so will the MG models.

wtf?

It *is* about the MG prestige, and the op's question was indirectly related to the LM prestige unless I completely fail at reading comprehension.

He wants to buy an MG prestige. It is certainly about the MG. He asks if the prestige line holds value. Others pointed out that the LM does not. I pointed out that the LM does not because it sucked. The prestige racquets which did not suck, held value better. The MG has had a good early rep., and thus will probably hold value. The thread directly pertains to the MG (prestige), and indirectly pertains to the LM (prestige). Am I missing something here?

wumanchu23
01-09-2008, 09:03 AM
wtf?

It *is* about the MG prestige, and the op's question was indirectly related to the LM prestige unless I completely fail at reading comprehension.

He wants to buy an MG prestige. It is certainly about the MG. He asks if the prestige line holds value. Others pointed out that the LM does not. I pointed out that the LM does not because it sucked. The prestige racquets which did not suck, held value better. The MG has had a good early rep., and thus will probably hold value. The thread directly pertains to the MG (prestige), and indirectly pertains to the LM (prestige). Am I missing something here?

My original thought was that most of Prestige lines (LM or MG or PC600) had good retaining value, but I guess i was wrong after reading everyones input. The MG prestige part of the discussion was sort of a spin-off of my first question. I've played with Radicals most of my life, most recently the MG Radical Pro, and have always bought them either used, or well after its been out. They seem to retain value well, but probably due to the fact that they were already cheaper when I bought them. I guess I should of been more specific when I first stated my question. Perhaps, the overall retaining value over a long period of time, say 2+ years, or maybe the retaining value of the racket after buying it 2nd hand, and trying to sell it 3rd hand...

VikingSamurai
01-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Good question; I have quoted a few lines which may be pertinent, in case you missed them. Is it more clear now?

Touche. I have strong preferences for racquets, but you are correct; it is the player that matters, not the racquet.

I see you do play with the LM ;)

Yeah, but I still don't get it.. Why do you think people even care what you think?.. You made your point now move on..

I don't believe the OP's question was "Does the LM Prestige suck"?

slider2828
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I must admit the LM isn't very good in general, but you know what that is just in the US. In Japan, LM prestige is a very sought after racquet as most 60% of people on the courts use these racquets as I found out.

I think of one reason why Japanese people buy the LM is cause of technology, its nutz but the buy gimmicks hahaha and plus the prestige really feels good and does generate power because they are on omni court surfaces which makes it easier to hit on than our hard courts.

But holding value is the of freaking concern anyways? Buy it cause you play with it. Of all things its only 200 dollars. Who cares if it retains value of all cars even Ferraris you drive it off the lot and it loses value so who cares. The truth of the matter is, just look at the economics. If there are more used MG's available the value will go down its just simple supply and demand.

Just use your head and don't speculate. Look at all the MG Radicals that are being sold used with very little play time. So therefore the value might drop a little. But just general observation will tell you and look at all the LM Prestiges that are on sale, it ain't going to hold its value I think cause there ARE better racquets out there, but nonetheless I started with LM's and I will always like it.

wumanchu23
01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I must admit the LM isn't very good in general, but you know what that is just in the US. In Japan, LM prestige is a very sought after racquet as most 60% of people on the courts use these racquets as I found out.

I think of one reason why Japanese people buy the LM is cause of technology, its nutz but the buy gimmicks hahaha and plus the prestige really feels good and does generate power because they are on omni court surfaces which makes it easier to hit on than our hard courts.

But holding value is the of freaking concern anyways? Buy it cause you play with it. Of all things its only 200 dollars. Who cares if it retains value of all cars even Ferraris you drive it off the lot and it loses value so who cares. The truth of the matter is, just look at the economics. If there are more used MG's available the value will go down its just simple supply and demand.

Just use your head and don't speculate. Look at all the MG Radicals that are being sold used with very little play time. So therefore the value might drop a little. But just general observation will tell you and look at all the LM Prestiges that are on sale, it ain't going to hold its value I think cause there ARE better racquets out there, but nonetheless I started with LM's and I will always like it.

Use my head and not speculate? Thanks for making me sound ********. You are right, $200 isn't alot of money... for a car. But for a racket, it's pretty much as expensive as its going to get. Plus if I were to get multiple rackets, it'll add up. And its the principle of the matter. But I need people like you, who buys rackets because they are "only" $200. Without people like you, we wouldn't have the extra supply in the market after they decide the racket isn't right for them.

On a side note, I do notice there are alot of LM Prestiges available now in the FS/FT section. Perhaps alot of the Prestige owners are upgrading to MG?

JKN666
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
this store i know already has the new prestiges for sale hmm...