PDA

View Full Version : WHat to tell people who ask for a 'good' racket?

Ramirez
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
My friend owns a racket shop. Pretty often, some beginners or people who are inexperience will ask him to recommend a 'good' racket and when the racket doesn't meet their expectations, they complain...... How to handle such people who are looking for 'good' rackets?

YULitle
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM
My friend owns a racket shop. Pretty often, some beginners or people who are inexperience will ask him to recommend a 'good' racket and when the racket doesn't meet their expectations, they complain...... How to handle such people who are looking for 'good' rackets?

I NEVER just recommend one when they ask that question. This question is the MOST annoying question I receive working at a racket shop. I get it about strings and shoes too.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

People think there is though. And I have to tell myself that they don't understand. I will hymn and haw on about how, there is no BEST racket. You have to try them out and see what works for you. That's why we have demos. So you can try them and see. And, there is NO WAY to just pick a racket out and have picked the best racket for you, unless you have been playing for years and are in-tune with what specs work for you, which obviously isn't the case, given the question asked in the first place.

So, I try to force them into demoing. If they insist that I recommend, I try to get as much info about their game and what they've played with in the past (and what they thought of that stick.) At that point, I've handed over liability verbally by saying, this is my recommendation but the only way you'll know that it's worth anything to you is to try it out first. If they STILL pursue purchasing a racket without trying it, then that's their own fault if they end up not liking it. And I'd tell them that too.

All this goes for strings too. There are so many strings and so many different reactions to them from person to person. The best we, as MRTs and racket salespeople, is narrow their choices down (e.g. if they want their string not to break so quickly, stear them away from less durable choices.)

The moral of the story is, don't suggest rackets without getting a lot of feedback from the customer and/or seeing them swing. Always let them know that the role of discovering the RIGHT racket is up to them. And that you are merely the guide.

ssjkyle31
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Demo Demo Demo

Vermillion
01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Tell them about the Holy Grail (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-MTLX10.html)

drakulie
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Demo Demo Demo

Exactly! Provide them a few frames with differing characteristics and **LET THEM CHOOSE**.

Take the responsibility out of your hands and put it in theirs. And remember to inform them that regardless of the racquet, it is ultimately their technique that will result in good performance. A racquet will never be a subsititute for good technique.

Ramirez
01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I NEVER just recommend one when they ask that question. This question is the MOST annoying question I receive working at a racket shop. I get it about strings and shoes too.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

People think there is though. And I have to tell myself that they don't understand. I will hymn and haw on about how, there is no BEST racket. You have to try them out and see what works for you. That's why we have demos. So you can try them and see. And, there is NO WAY to just pick a racket out and have picked the best racket for you, unless you have been playing for years and are in-tune with what specs work for you, which obviously isn't the case, given the question asked in the first place.

So, I try to force them into demoing. If they insist that I recommend, I try to get as much info about their game and what they've played with in the past (and what they thought of that stick.) At that point, I've handed over liability verbally by saying, this is my recommendation but the only way you'll know that it's worth anything to you is to try it out first. If they STILL pursue purchasing a racket without trying it, then that's their own fault if they end up not liking it. And I'd tell them that too.

All this goes for strings too. There are so many strings and so many different reactions to them from person to person. The best we, as MRTs and racket salespeople, is narrow their choices down (e.g. if they want their string not to break so quickly, stear them away from less durable choices.)

The moral of the story is, don't suggest rackets without getting a lot of feedback from the customer and/or seeing them swing. Always let them know that the role of discovering the RIGHT racket is up to them. And that you are merely the guide.

Yes.... I think that's true..... as for strings, one of the funny request my friend gets is: 'Please string my racket with a string that will give my balls lots and lots of spin'.

PROTENNIS63
01-08-2008, 06:06 PM

THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

I agree 100%. A racquet that may play good for one person might play like crap for his next door neighbor. If there was 1 racquet or string that was the best, then no other brands would exist. Good point.

Ramirez
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Some beginners also tend to make very ambitious choices....... Once there was a lady beginner who was into her first few lessons, she opted to purchase the Dunlop M-Fil 200 U.S. version which was 12 oz...pretty demanding stick.... wonder how she's going to handle it at her level.

Zachol82
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Should tell them which racquets they should NOT try...since I bet that's a bit easier to do :P

YULitle
01-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Should tell them which racquets they should NOT try...since I bet that's a bit easier to do :P

Oh I definetly do that. Especially with string.

But yeah, there are lots of funny things one hears in a racket shop.

"I like this one, does it come in different colors?" (damn Wilson for making this one not so crazy! :D)

"What kind of racket do you play with."
"The N-Code"

"I liked the topspin string, but it broke too quickly. Have anything with more bite but lasts longer?"

"How much more power am I going to get changing to this racket?"

"Can I demo the Head Flexpoint?"

All of these involve this reaction from me, in this order:
Bite toungue
Sigh
Bite toungue
Desperate attempts at explaining what I'm sure will simply not be understood

*sigh* :|

Noveson
01-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Some beginners also tend to make very ambitious choices....... Once there was a lady beginner who was into her first few lessons, she opted to purchase the Dunlop M-Fil 200 U.S. version which was 12 oz...pretty demanding stick.... wonder how she's going to handle it at her level.

Haha yeah, I just saw a thread which had this guy saying he had been playing for 3 months, and bought the K90, because he was a 'big hitter' lol. Wonder how long till he realizes?

Ramirez
01-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Haha yeah, I just saw a thread which had this guy saying he had been playing for 3 months, and bought the K90, because he was a 'big hitter' lol. Wonder how long till he realizes?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... many of such mentality around.

Alafter
01-09-2008, 02:11 AM

The response should be along the line of statistics and facts. Rather than answering directly, answer with...

"You know, the people of this age mostly buy this racquet"

"This is the best seller amongst age xx to xx..."

"A lot of coaches comes in and get this racquet for their new students..."

"This racquet seems to be a popular choice for the ____ judging from the number of these I am selling..."

If they ask some more about the shining points of the racquet, give them what Head/Wilson/Yonex/Prince gave you!

"The O3 according to prince was designed to enhance speed and string mvment..."

Steer them away from the "what would you recommend" mentality and impress in their minds that you told them facts about racquet sales. That way, you can still tell them that oh well I guess it wasnt for you, but hey, you gotta try something to find out your own "individual unique preference"! Now what was wrong with it? Too light? Too heavy? Not enough juice? You know....there is this racquet that....

Lastly, it is ULTIMATELY important that I would use my judgment skills in what kind of customer just walked in, and what I would tell them.

I would tell serious looking customers to DEMO.

I would tell not so serious ones exactly a sales pitch as above.

jazar
01-09-2008, 02:23 AM
i always say there is no best racket, and then pick out a couple of models based on their needs. we have a hitting area on site, so i take them down there, let them have a hit and see what they think

Deuce
01-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately, this practice is not restricted to clueless customers in stores.
Take a look at this very message board's racquet section, and you'll see that half of the posts are of this very type.
"What racquet is best for me?"
"What racquet will give me the best one handed backhand?"
"Which raquet can I serve bombs down the middle with?"
Etc., etc.

Even worse than the ones asking these inane questions are the ones answering them.

They might as well be asking "What is the most tasty fruit to eat?"

VikingSamurai
01-09-2008, 03:07 AM
I sooooo love Mango!

Fedace
01-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Yonex Rqis tour-1 and tour-2

VikingSamurai
01-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Yonex Rqis tour-1 and tour-2

Yeah, we know you love Yonex..

Now go back and play in the sand-pit with the other kiddies.. ;)

YULitle
01-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Unfortunately, this practice is not restricted to clueless customers in stores.
Take a look at this very message board's racquet section, and you'll see that half of the posts are of this very type.
"What racquet is best for me?"
"What racquet will give me the best one handed backhand?"
"Which raquet can I serve bombs down the middle with?"
Etc., etc.

Even worse than the ones asking these inane questions are the ones answering them.

They might as well be asking "What is the most tasty fruit to eat?"

Yes. Yes. That is the worst. I am not a fan of people simply making suggestions as if there was one, when there isn't. I remember one time we had the local Prince rep in the store and she had a lady buy a O3 Blue, told her what strings and waht tension, without seeing her play. We have a tennis court IN THE STORE, yet she completely dodged the demo process and told her what to get. Where do people get the nerve? There is absolutely no way for her to know which racket would be right for this person!

/frustrated :evil:

Alafter
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Yes. Yes. That is the worst. I am not a fan of people simply making suggestions as if there was one, when there isn't. I remember one time we had the local Prince rep in the store and she had a lady buy a O3 Blue, told her what strings and waht tension, without seeing her play. We have a tennis court IN THE STORE, yet she completely dodged the demo process and told her what to get. Where do people get the nerve? There is absolutely no way for her to know which racket would be right for this person!

/frustrated :evil:

I think that's fine from the sales perspective. These guys are sales, not coaches, so whatever seals the deal is fine.

YULitle
01-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I think that's fine from the sales perspective. These guys are sales, not coaches, so whatever seals the deal is fine.

That's dishonest. Wouldn't ever catch me doing it. I guess sales isn't for me then. :???:

Alafter
01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
That's dishonest. Wouldn't ever catch me doing it. I guess sales isn't for me then. :???:

I wouldnt say dishonest. Just uninformed, with both sides happily agreeing to the uninformed decision.

With the sales being human, the sales probably expect that most of these people dont come back. If they do come back, they probably have a few more tricks up their sleeves, most of them i would expect to lead to even more sales.

YULitle
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I wouldnt say dishonest. Just uninformed, with both sides happily agreeing to the uninformed decision.

With the sales being human, the sales probably expect that most of these people dont come back. If they do come back, they probably have a few more tricks up their sleeves, most of them i would expect to lead to even more sales.

Hahaha. Agreed. :D