PDA

View Full Version : head prestige question

m1stuhxsp4rk5
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
i know the head prestige classic is practically great with any string and tension but how about the i.prestige? is it open to many types of strings like the pc? if not what strings would be recommended for the i.prestige and whats a good tension? what is the difference between the i.prestige with the rubbery feel and the pj?

m1stuhxsp4rk5
01-08-2008, 09:24 PM
looking for all those prestige pros out there

OnyxZ28
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I string my mids at low tension, like < 53 lbs.

0d1n
01-09-2008, 12:41 AM
The i Prestige plays well with many different string types, but beware of poly @ high tensions...the racket is pretty "crisp" and can feel very stiff if you string it too tight with poly.

jazar
01-09-2008, 02:25 AM
The i Prestige plays well with many different string types, but beware of poly @ high tensions...the racket is pretty "crisp" and can feel very stiff if you string it too tight with poly.

totally, the first time i strung my i.prestige up all poly i did it at 58, which is my normal tension for multis, and it really didnt feel comfortable. so now i string all poly at 48, but i usually have hybrids at around 52/53. i have, however, used a number of very different strings in them and found that the majority play very well

gerli
01-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I strung my iprestige mid with a hybrid at 49/47.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
01-09-2008, 08:17 AM
i use kirschbaum super smash honey and i usually string it around 62 on my pure drive roddick but since i love the control of the prestige and i dont like the newer stuff i found a pair of the i.prestige. would a poly be good around mid tension?

allrounder
01-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I tried several string combinations on the i.prestige MP. Found this combinatin the best: Lux BB ACE 18 @55lb in mains and Gosen OG micro (generic) 17 @56lb in crosses.
This combination gave the best of power and spin for all-court play.
I have since switched over to LM prestige Mid and use the same strings at 2lb lower tension than the i.prestigr MP due to smaller head-size. This works great as well.

Carlito
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
To say that a prestige plays great with any string at any tension is rediculous. I have played with prestige classics for 10+ years and I can tell you it is not true. Its a great racket and all but its not magical. There are plenty of strings out there that fell awful on it. ie Kevlar.

Part of the reason people say this that any string at ant tension works is the recomended tension on it is 55 + or - 3. People usually dont go outside this but 6 pounds isnt that much from the recomended min and max. But try playing at the minimum after you have been playing at the max and it will feel very odd.

But as for strings I recommend. All prestiges have a common theme: Soft and Flexible with a dense string pattern. Since it is denses ansd forgiving, It breaks strings a lot less than most frames. So 17g is pretty good. Personally I don't like poly, but if you do then a crisp string will help hit the ball nice and firmly. Persoanlly though for me, with such a dense string pattern and small head, I like my string to have a good bounce off the string bed with a lively feel and good ball pocketing. Needless to say gut is the best but I have also used multifilaments and soft sythectics if a multi is too mushy for your taste. Superfine play for example is one I really liked on it of Prince soft sythetic.

drakulie
01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
The i prestige mid I am currently playing with is string with Lux mains and gosen crosses at 58 lbs. (plays great). Very crisp feel and response.

I have also strung it (same tension) with prince synthetics, and Gamma.

Every string thus far has performed very well.

OnyxZ28
01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Damn dude, you must have adamantium infused into your arm or something!

drakulie
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
^^^^ LOL. I'm actually getting used to strings strung so loose. I typically play with Ashaway Kevlar Crossfire II (16 gauge), strung at 68 lbs. (On the Wilson K90). This will be the next string I try on the i. (just not so tight). I will probably stay at the 58 lbs.

I didn't want to go that high with this frame because it has a much denser pattern. So far>>> so good.

Onyx, are you, or have you tried the new microgels?? What do you think???

RestockingTues
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Gamma ZO sweet 17 and Gamma TNT 17 at 60/62

The prestige is such a great racket, pretty much anything plays well on it

OnyxZ28
01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
^^^^ LOL. I'm actually getting used to strings strung so loose. I typically play with Ashaway Kevlar Crossfire II (16 gauge), strung at 68 lbs. (On the Wilson K90). This will be the next string I try on the i. (just not so tight). I will probably stay at the 58 lbs.

I didn't want to go that high with this frame because it has a much denser pattern. So far>>> so good.

Onyx, are you, or have you tried the new microgels?? What do you think???

Dude just thinking about kevlar at 68 makes my arm pop. I've hit with an pro room MG Prestige Pro, it was very solid, a great hit, although surprisingly I got more power out of my Classic Mid -- it plowed through the ball better. Haven't had a chance to try the mid though, although judging from the Pro I'm guessing it'll be a great stick. Have you tried it?

drakulie
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
^^^ haven't hit with the pro yet. I was lucky enough to hit with the mid a few weeks back. The pro where I live has one and gave it to me for a day.

The SW was similar to the i, but at contact felt flexy and fairly soft. I have to admit he strings it very loose, so this may have been why it felt so soft to me.

It did feel very thick at contact, and like I said was very comfortable to swing.

From what I have read the MG Prestige Pro is going to be a monster stick. Everyone who has tried it seems to really like it,,,, much more than the MG mid plus, and mid.

I'll most likely demo the pro, and the mid when they come out. Not too sold on the mid plus as it seems to flexy for my taste.

OnyxZ28
01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I think Head definitely has something special with the Pro -- which means stock up on the MG, because you know they'll **** up whatever succeeds the MG. -_-

drakulie
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
^^^ yup. Why on earth racquet manufacturers do this is beyond me.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
just added a question but if you dont notice whats the differnce between the rubbery i.prestige and the one that has a more painted look?

0d1n
01-10-2008, 12:59 AM
just added a question but if you dont notice whats the differnce between the rubbery i.prestige and the one that has a more painted look?

One was an earlier version, and the other a more recent version. The rubber one was the earlier (I THINK !). The rubberized one had issues with the durability of the paint ... it would wear off pretty easily.
I seem to remember they were a bit different in swing weight as well, with one being lighter swinging (may have been just the tolerances of the particular sticks I've tried).

Simbah2004
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I've tried all possible combinations in my I Prestige Mids (poly, hybrid, synthetic gut (cheap and expensive), natural gut... Until I settled on the Head Rip Control, strung at 52 pounds. Love it.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
sounds sweet but i moved away from the i.prestige and fell in love with the ag 200 feels really solid and nice spin even with the dense string pattern

miketran
03-07-2008, 02:31 AM
i string my i.prestiges with a full bed of isospeed baseline spin at 65 lbs and it isn't harsh at all. feels great to be honest.

iTxMe
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
i have 2 i. prestige, 2 pc600
also, 1 rubber paint and one later version
I don't see any differences on the two i. prestige rackets
i. prestige needs to be restrung at lower tension, it feels like a baseball bat when strung tightly. In other words, it's not as tension forgiving as pc600

swing weight is different on the pc600
headlight balance is different too (very noticeable for 1hbh)

Speedygonzalez
03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Last week I strung my iprestige mid with a very cheap poly: Pro's Pro Poly Gut 1.2 mm (I am a cheap player). It was about 10 euro a reel. Since this string doesn't keep its tension very well, I strung at 26/25 kg. It still felt comfortable, had lots of power and of course good control. I really like the crisp and firm feel of the iprestige. However, my lower arm felt a bit stiff and a bit painful after the third session, something I never experienced before :(!

toughshot
03-07-2008, 04:30 PM
any decent hybrid at 56 on a prestige is pretty sweet :]