PDA

View Full Version : TW's racquet matching service.

JohnP
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to post recommending Tennis Warehouse's racquet matching service. There is some talk of it on this board, but I am not sure that alot of people are aware of it. It's not something readily available or listed on their website but it is a GREAT resource and was the reason I just purchased two new racquets from TW.

Ever since I returned to the sport several months ago, i've spent the last 2-3 months trying/demoing everything under the sun to replace my old worn out pro staff classics. I bought a K95 18x20 a couple of months ago and have been using that as my main racquet as I exhausted every other option out there. Once I realized the K95 was going to be as good as it gets for me (and settling on a spec for it), I contacted several well known places that do racquet customization and also contacted TW.

The other places obviously do top notch service and do true "customization", but there is a premium for that. For my needs, I simply needed two identical racquets that were as close to the spec of my original racquet (unmodified) as I could get. After an exchange of emails with TW and getting the specs from my own racquet, I was able to purchase two brand new K95's from TW that arrived today with absolutely identical weight and balance point specs. The only slight hiccup was that my original racquet was slightly lighter than all of the racquets they had in stock (by about 1-2 grams), but that will be easily fixed by some lead tape if I find it necessary.

The price for this extra service was exceedingly reasonable ($20 total). As far as I understand it, if I had not needed specs matching to my current racquet, they would have matched the two racquets free of charge! What a deal. I would highly recommend it to anybody on this board who is interested in purchasing multiple racquets with similar specs, without getting full on customization done.

sabi
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
JohnP,

I'll second your commendation of TW's personal service. I purchased two k95's 18x20 and while I did not opt for the same $20 option, they did try to get me racquets as close a possible. 3 grams difference and about .5 difference in headlightness, and both at the lower end of the overall weight scale. All as I asked. I have an excellent tournament stringer and customizer in my city - he can take over for the service you got - but I cannot praise TW enough. The depth of their knowledge is impressive and rivals that of my other favorite customer service provider, Velocity Micro for all you PC gamers. And TW's website thoroughness and apparent efficiency approaches that of the best run retail store/web business in the United States (at least to me): B&H Photo in Manhattan. I'm in the service business but not in the retail business. If I were, I would be happy to have a business 80% as impressive as TW. Kudos guys.

0d1n
01-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I just wanted to post recommending Tennis Warehouse's racquet matching service. There is some talk of it on this board, but I am not sure that alot of people are aware of it. It's not something readily available or listed on their website but it is a GREAT resource and was the reason I just purchased two new racquets from TW.

Ever since I returned to the sport several months ago, i've spent the last 2-3 months trying/demoing everything under the sun to replace my old worn out pro staff classics. I bought a K95 18x20 a couple of months ago and have been using that as my main racquet as I exhausted every other option out there. Once I realized the K95 was going to be as good as it gets for me (and settling on a spec for it), I contacted several well known places that do racquet customization and also contacted TW.

The other places obviously do top notch service and do true "customization", but there is a premium for that. For my needs, I simply needed two identical racquets that were as close to the spec of my original racquet (unmodified) as I could get. After an exchange of emails with TW and getting the specs from my own racquet, I was able to purchase two brand new K95's from TW that arrived today with absolutely identical weight and balance point specs. The only slight hiccup was that my original racquet was slightly lighter than all of the racquets they had in stock (by about 1-2 grams), but that will be easily fixed by some lead tape if I find it necessary.

The price for this extra service was exceedingly reasonable ($20 total). As far as I understand it, if I had not needed specs matching to my current racquet, they would have matched the two racquets free of charge! What a deal. I would highly recommend it to anybody on this board who is interested in purchasing multiple racquets with similar specs, without getting full on customization done.

I'm not sure the bold-ed part is true...Does that mean they do it automatically ?? Or just free of charge but only upon request??
(I don't think they do it automatically because I've bought 3 Tour 10's from TW and they swing differently and have different weights. Some radicals I got some two years ago felt identical...so it seems to me like they just grab the first rackets that they can and put them in the package)

herosol
01-09-2008, 04:33 AM
It's not the reliability issue that people don't use it, it's the $20 issue.

OrangeOne
01-09-2008, 04:40 AM
It's not the reliability issue that people don't use it, it's the $20 issue.

I am quite frugal, I don't like wasting money.

That said, if purchasing 2 (or more) racquets that were to become my main stick for a few years or more, $20 is nothing compared to the investment involved in using those sticks (balls, shoes, stringing, court hire, comp fees, etc etc), and having them matching from word-go would be great. Racquets are actually very cheap in the overall scheme of tennis expenditure.

That said, anyone who decides to care about 1 or 2g is kidding themselves....

sabi
01-09-2008, 06:46 AM
Ask them to try to match from their shelf stock and they will do their best.

JohnP
01-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Ask them to try to match from their shelf stock and they will do their best.

Right. I did not ask about this myself, but I have seen TW staff post that in this forum. That is, if you do not need racquets matched to a specific spec (like I did with my own racquet), and you just want them to be similar, they will do so free of charge. I do not know if they do this automatically or if you have to request.

crazy8tiger
01-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Just to clarify here so I'm not confused,
TW picks similar racquets whenever you order 2 or more from them, but it costs $20 if you have specific specs you want?
Please confirm this if this is correct.

TripleB
01-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree 100%.

I ordered three Head Liquid Metal Radical Midplus racquets a while back and had them "matched." All three came at exactly 11.4 ounces, swingweight of 320, and 4 points headlight. Two of the three had to have lead tape added to the head to make the specs match. The lead tape was cut and put on the racquet perfectly (not thrown on there) straight. Very impressive that they would take the time to make it look perfect. But then again, TW does everything so professional, I wasn't suprised.

It's an unbelievable service and an awesome price that everyone should take advantage of when ordering more than one racquet.

TripleB

JohnP
01-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Just to clarify here so I'm not confused,
TW picks similar racquets whenever you order 2 or more from them, but it costs $20 if you have specific specs you want?
Please confirm this if this is correct.

Correct, to my understanding. There is a post in the tw forum from a staff member saying the same thing... the only thing I am unsure about is if they do this automatically or if you have to request the free matching for 2 or more racquets bought at once.

Zhou
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Being frugal is one thing, paying 20 dollars for identical rackets is worth it, based on the poor quality control of wilson, you could end up with rackets that weigh in on the opposite side of the spectrum. I would honestly pay 20 dollars for identical rackets.

snoopy
01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Just b/c the racquets have identical specs doesn't mean they will feel alike or play alike.

That being said, I agree the $20 TW service is a good deal. It greatly reduces the potential differences between frames.