PDA

View Full Version : Pro players you emulate!

Tenny
12-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Let's forget about their ranks, achievements, titles won. Just focus on their playing styles, attitude, or even personalities. Who is your 'MODEL' player? Or if you are good enough, with whom you can compare your playing style? Can you say 'I play like so and so!'?

This can be different from asking who is your favorite player.

In my case, I like Edberg, Sabatini, Guga etc but
I want to play like Boris Becker (80%. Overall his game is very entertaining and I love his nutty willingness to dive) + Lendl (10%. Groundstrokes) + Navratilova (10%. Touch at the net).

Tenny.

Cobra Tennis
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
I kinda like to play like Henman, the new one, learning how to dish out punishment at the baseline instead of always at the net.

service motion with the toe-up: Sampras
Forehand: Sampras (eastern grip finishing shoulder level)
Backhand: Agassi (2 handed, "C" style)
Volleys: that nasty knife backhand volley: Sampras
Attitude: Rafter- NEVER SAY DIE!

perfmode
12-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I have Fed's strokes with Moya's strats. My one hander is my greatest weakness. I run around it most of the time.

namhnit
12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Some wierd quirks I have picked up from watching the pros:
1) I wipe my forehead like Pete Sampras. The way Pete used to do it with one finger, I do the same way.
2) When I'm ready to return a serve, I would sometimes rearrange the bottom portion of my shirt, just how Agassi would do it.
3) I've tried to emulate Federer's ballrina type movement and forehand as well.
All I can I think of as of this moment.

devwizard
12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Interesting question...I never really thought about it

I think my overall game and attitude are generally most closely related to Hewitt. I mean, I have very similar strategy, groundies, and serve motion. When prompted, I even have that cool jumping in the air bh thing Hewitt is known for. My attitude it usually pumped up like Hewitt also, and I frequently yell various things during matches, especially on big points. However, I actually REALLY try to imitate Joachim Johanssen on my fh; I have a similar whipping motion with my arm an use my huge fh as my big weapon.

perfmode
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
I've also adopted Moya's hop-step on my inside out forehand. It works pretty well for me. I pull my left sleeve up a la Roddick. That's turned into a real obsession, unfortunately. I set up for return of serves a bit like Hewitt. I think that's about it.

!<-_->!
12-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Backhand: 2-hander continental, so I guess trying to copy Agassi. Probably am as I saw him on TV the most when I learned how to play.
Forehand: Not quite sure. Semi-western is pretty common among players I think.
Serve: Trying to that turning back to face the net. Not sure who I'm trying to copy there.

Not sure about it really. Just try stuff I see and tweak the styles to fit myself.

Camilio Pascual
12-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Amanda Coetzer and, to a lesser extent, Martina Hingis have been my model players. Recently, I have experimented switching to S&amp;V on my service games and have no model.

@wright
12-08-2004, 05:18 AM
In the past year I have been trying to implement Federer's strategy and movement to my game. I have a one-handed backhand and try to hit a variety of flat/spin shots on FH and BH sides for variety. I try to use the slice like Federer also. I am still working on improving my volleying, but it has come a long way so far. Federer's variety and use of his "rally" shot are very applicable to the club player.

!Tym
12-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Service motion, Kevin Kim
Deuce court forehand, Pete Sampras
High forehands, Hicham Arazi
Inside out forehand, Sergi Bruguera
One-handed backhand, Petr Korda/Cedric Pioline tag team
Volleys, Cedric Pioline
Overhead smash, Michael Jordon (honorable mention, Sampras)
Speed, Carl Lewis (honorable mention, Michael Chang)
Variety/on-court strategy, Federer/Pioline
Humility and Class as a human being, Guy Forget ALL THE WAY...in your face, baby! (what, you thought I was talking about Connors?)
Results, that unassuming chap named "God" in the Prince commercial

david aames
12-08-2004, 07:09 AM
And that's when you woke up all wet in your own bed.

Speaking of which, who will be the first under this thread to admit he has strokes resembling those of a WTA player? Much more likely at the club level, right? Dementieva's serve anyone?

I have Fed's strokes with Moya's strats. My one hander is my greatest weakness. I run around it most of the time.

!Tym
12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
And that's when you woke up all wet in your own bed.

Speaking of which, who will be the first under this thread to admit he has strokes resembling those of a WTA player? Much more likely at the club level, right? Dementieva's serve anyone?

Oops, and that's when I forgot that my guns are like Moya's...I ONLY wear sleavless shirts for the ladies, because "I'm the grand master sexy flexing for all the young ladies."

Did I mention that in between changeovers, I rap like Vince Spadea?

@wright
12-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Can you work the crowd like Roddick?

topspin king
12-08-2004, 10:40 AM
If just talk about the movements/ motion, I want to have:

John McEnroe's sevre

Carlos Moya's forehand

Guga's backhand

Tim Henman's Volley

!Tym
12-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Can you work the crowd like Roddick?

Only if Mandy Moore and Lauren Beford are in the crowd, and they're eyeying each other in a not so friendly way.

Otherwise, the "God" does not need to work the crowd...such foolishness is below the "God."

But the "God" has no problems with two women in love, because remember I've got the "bod."

ehh...this is getting a little too racy for me. Forget, my wandering rhymes. I've just gotta remind myself why I got into this in the first place... Like my less blessed compadre, Marat Safin; I am a tennis player. That's my job. I do it very well, and that's why people call me the "God" with the "bod."

Ultimately, the only relevant question in this thread is what virtual "dream" player would win in a tennis match?

Winner takes Lauren Bedford...or Mandy Moore.

My feeling is that even the "god" would not be able to overcome being strapped with Kevin Kim's serve. Certainly a good serve, but not enough to enthrall the likes of Mandy Moore then Lauren Bedford.

Life would be good, if we were all Andy Roddick, eh?

tennisboy87
12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
My game is a lot like Lleyton Hewitt's. I have a solid fh and bh, and I have good speed. Over the last year I've gotten a growth spurt and I'm now at 6'0'', so I'm developing a much bigger serve and also trying to get into the net more. Lately, sometimes I've been like Henman at the net, and other times I've been like Roddick at the net lol.

tennisboy87
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Also, like Perfmode, I do tend to run around my backhand a lot.

Power Game
12-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Safin serve and backhand (and head, unfortunately), Federer forehand. Check my sig.

Nosoupforyou
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Safin serve + backhand
Moya forehand
Gimelstob movement :oops:

tykrum
12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, first off, I'm sure my strokes don't look anything like the pros, but anyway. I think my forehand has a lot of topspin like Coria's, backhand fairly flat like Safin, service motion (and utilization of three types of serves regularily) like Roddick, and movement like Hewitt. I think I play the most like Coria I would say, only at a high 4.5 level. Like Coria, I'm really too small to really overpower people on my level on a regular basis. But I try to come into the net more than he does to put more pressure on my opponent, mainly because 4.5s don't pass quite as well as pros. But I have also found myself wiping off my forehead with one finger like Sampras, and I also sometimes do the Roddick fist pump, with my arm angled all stupid looking like he does.

Kirko
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Ken Rosewall ; modeled my gamer after him when I was 14 yr. Iwas always tall and slight build. He was always in such great shape saw him play live in 1986 against Mal Anderson &amp; it reafirmed my mimicry of him in his 50's fit &amp; trim and playing great !

kevin
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Jim Courier.

My christmas wish is to play the same game as my opponents and beat them up.

Max G.
12-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, I try to emulate Patrick Rafter, Pete Sampras...

But I end up emulating Greg Rusedski without a big serve. And with even less of a topspin backhand. :Embarassed:

Though I do also try to emulate the never-say-die attitude of the Hewitts and the Corias, that helps.

I end up with a very versatile gameplan, but an overall game resembling none of the top pros.

Brian Purdie
12-09-2004, 03:33 PM
service motion with the toe-up: Sampras

You gotta love the "toe-up" feature! It sets up the rock, **** and fire serve. Why not emulate a working pattern.
others--
backhand: fedex
volley: edberg on soft touches, sampras on hard hit ones
get to the ball: chang
forehand: agassi on most, roddick on some, sampras on running
slice: graf

Phil
12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Never tried to copy pros, but friends can't help but comment how my serve looks so much like Pete Sampras' and my vollies and movement to the net uncannily evoke Edberg. And, yeah, yeah, just the other day, another on my long list of humiliated opponents, made the comment that I'm as tenacious and unforgiving as Hewit, only, I have many more offensive weapons. Sh...I mean, he remarked that if only Hewitt had that kind of fire power, he'd have 10-12 Slams by this time. I slay myself.

david aames
12-09-2004, 06:42 PM
No merit beating 5' tall opponents, Phil. We know where you live.

I'm curious, what do you get for your wins? Sleep with their wives and daughters? ; )

just the other day, another on my long list of humiliated opponents, made the comment (...)

Phil
12-09-2004, 08:28 PM

I'm curious, what do you get for your wins? Sleep with their wives and daughters? ; )

David - Okay, let's just you and me keep that to ourselves, okay? Please?

As for prizes, well, if I answered affirmitively to your question, I might have to deal with a deluge of gaijin tennis players swarming my courts, and in that sense, competition is bad. Very bad. So no, I don't get to sleep with their wives (heh, heh).

Phil
12-09-2004, 08:29 PM

As for prizes, well, if I answered affirmitively to your question, I might have to deal with a deluge of gaijin tennis players swarming my courts, and in that sense, competition is bad. Very bad. So no, I don't get to sleep with their wives (heh, heh).

Phil
12-09-2004, 08:29 PM

david aames
12-10-2004, 04:01 AM
Now that I think about it, even if you did, they would probably consider that to be a 3rd set, hardly a reward...

In all cases, you know it's a win when you get to drink their best sake, right?

So no, I don't get to sleep with their wives (heh, heh).

Dedans Penthouse
12-10-2004, 05:01 AM

"No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a Psyclone Ranger
Everyone

That's why I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so....."

--- The Vapors "Turning Japanese"

Phil, did that song ever see the 'light of day' in 'Rising Sun' land?
(how 'bout Bowie's "China Doll?")

Dedans Penthouse
12-10-2004, 05:02 AM

"NO SEX, no drugs, no wine, NO WOMEN
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a Psyclone Ranger
Everyone

That's why I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so....."

--- The Vapors "Turning Japanese"

Phil, did that song ever see the 'light of day' in 'Rising Sun' land?
(how 'bout Bowie's "China Doll?")

@wright
12-10-2004, 05:39 AM
THey say Turnin' Japanese is about spankin' it.

Dedans Penthouse
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
THey say Turnin' Japanese is about spankin' it.

And since it felt so nice, I had to post it twice...

mrwise
12-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I emulate the following pros...
the Agassi strut when I walk...
the walk-the-dog ball bounce of Boris Becker...
I do the dragging toes when I walk like Jimmy Conners...
I wipe my sweat from my head with both arms like McEnroe...
I stick my tongue out before I serve like Sampras...
Umm...but other than that I would say that is about the extent of my game looking like a tour player.

Tenny
12-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I emulate the following pros...
the Agassi strut when I walk...
the walk-the-dog ball bounce of Boris Becker...
I do the dragging toes when I walk like Jimmy Conners...
I wipe my sweat from my head with both arms like McEnroe...
I stick my tongue out before I serve like Sampras...
Umm...but other than that I would say that is about the extent of my game looking like a tour player.

I always liked Boris Becker's Walk-the-dog routine but couldn't master it. I think the trick is holing the throad of racquet, oh, maybe I need Estusa (or Puma)... Gotta check Jimbo and McEnroe stuffs.