PDA

View Full Version : switch from mfil300 to babolat pure drive cortex

moneyman
01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
So my dad just came back from Cali and brought a Babolat Pure Drive Cortex and a Babolat Pure Drive Team back with him. I usually play with an m-fil 300, but it was getting pretty old and banged up so I decided to try out the new Babolats.
I noticed that the Babolat felt a lot better, for example, on off center hits, it would usually go back over the net whereas with my m-fil, the racquet would just vibrate and the ball would shank into the net. Also, the Babolats seemed to have more power. With the same exact stroke, my balls would go flying out while with my m-fil, they stayed perfectly in the court. I was wondering if it was the string that was causing this problem or just the racquet. I'm not sure what string is on the racquet, but if I find out, I will update this thread. I was also wondering if it could be that this racquet does not generate enough topspin.
To sum it all up, i have about 5 questions.
1. Do tennis racquets start to lose power and solidity (like the forgiveness on off center hits, or the forgiveness overall on every hit) after a certain time, especially if I've dropped it and slammed it on the floor a few times.
2. Why do you think I overhit the ball with the Babolat using the exact same stroke, and probably power? String? Racquet?
3. Would you consider the Babolat Pure Drive Team a fit back up for the Pure Drive Cortex? On tennis warehouse, it says that both are almost the same racquet, but the Cortex just has the cortex system added. If not, which would you consider I use? (I prefer less power and more spin since I tend to swing fast on every shot)
4. Do you think I should go back to the M-Fil, try to get used to the Babolats, or buy new M-Fils. I really want to get used to Babolats because I havn't switched racquets in a while and I don't seem to be getting anywhere with these M-Fils, but it could be because they are too old and banged up.
5. I can't remember it now, but I'll update this thread once I think of it.

Thanks in advance guys, these are a few questions I've had bottled up for some time now.

moneyman
01-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't know how to edit, so I'll just post a few more quesitons I just thought of.

5. Is there anyway I can find out what string is on my racquet? I can't seem to find the text anywhere. The whole string is just solid grey.

6. What string would you recommend that isn't too expensive that would fit me. I like to swing fast so I want a string or string combination that allows me to swing hard to generate a lot of spin so the ball stays in.

moneyman
01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
anyone have any ideas?

TourTenor
01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
$ man ... Not sure I can answer all of your questions however ... many of the racquets I have tried have too much power for my swingtype. That includes some prior model babolats (I haven't tried the latest ones). I do have an MFIL 300 which is now my power racquet compared to my usual sticks. I use it when I feel somewhat tired and need some extra pop. I find that my Volkl Tour10 Gen 2 and DNX10 mid work much better for my swing type. I have a full swing and generate alot of power so I appreciate the extra control, "volkl feel" and that these two racquets provide. I also like their good sized sweet spots. I think the bottom line is ... some racquets give me too much power and not enough control. Good luck. TT